Thursday 21 December 2023

1944

As my first love in wargaming is WWII, I had somehow missed the fact that next year will be the 80th anniversary of Operation Overlord, amongst many others of course. Thankfully this was highlighted on Sparker's Blog and got me to a thinking as they say. I had planned on something for France 1940, but Covid and the lockdown put pay to that, ditto for 1941. But what to aim for and play?

Of course we are pretty spoilt for options to put it mildly, given that there was an awful lot going on in 1944 across multiple theatres. Options I have considered so far are:

Normandy
Well a very obvious choice and one that we always seemed to play as kids, in our own way with a few AFV's and Airfix or Matchbox figures. Such a wide choice it's almost too hard to choose.

Operation Market-Garden
Another perennial favourite, at least here in the UK. Probably second to Normandy ever since I read Cornelius Ryan's 'A Bridge Too Far'. I did play a mini-campaign inspired by this operation a year or so ago, so it might be going over old ground again?

Italy
Whilst of interest, I feel that it had become a bit too attritional for my tastes, but still I haven;t discounted it and need to read up a bit more for some ideas and inspiration.
awhat to play?

Operation Dragoon
Not something I've seen played before, but it does have some possibilities. I think the downside for me is that it is really a race for the Germans to escape and the Americans to catch them.

Operation Bagration et al
Rather like Normandy, so much choice, but interesting without a doubt.

Burma
Well this could be fun and certainly different to what I've gamed before, but this would be a major project for sure. Possibly too much to take on given other real World issues that always need addressing.

Pacific Islands
As with Burma above.

So where do I currently sit? 
Currently it is Normandy in some shape or form for the following reasons:
  • I have pretty much all I need for both sides, with some stuff needing fleshing out, such as AA units, Engineers etc plus some AFV's. So minimal effort required from me and it would be nice to finally finish off those bits'n'pieces that have lurked on the fringes for years.
  • Terrain wise I'm pretty much there, unless I want some bunkers to do the invasion beaches.
  • I've long had the figures for some British Airborne units, so this would be the perfect spur to get a Battalion based and painted. Then of course they could be used for Operation Market Garden, which would be nice.

A Campaign
Which ever option I go for, I would run it as a narrative campaign using BKCII, as I find these linked games much more fun and challenging, with the story almost writing itself. Plenty to think about for sure with updates to follow in due course.

1939
Then or course we shouldn't forget that it will be the 85th anniversary of the Invasion of Poland. So many ideas, so little time!

What Would You Play?
So those are my ideas cum options, but what would yours be, assuming you would want to run some form of campaign next year? I'd love to know!

TTFN.
 

22 comments:

  1. I'd probably go with Normandy first, Market garden Second, both being campaigns I've long hoped to do. I look forward to seeing whch direction you end up going. In my case, I'm starting up a Barbarossa campaign over Christmas, which will run well into 2024.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Normandy in some shape or form is the odds on favourite at present, given it's the least amount of work in terms of painting etc that I need to. Also I have loads of reference books upon which to base a campaign, historical or otherwise. Barbarossa is on my list to do too, once I've got some Soviets sorted out...

      Delete
  2. I would really enjoy seeing you tackle a campaign on island hopping in the Pacific. What campaigning might I consider? I regularly lean toward thoughts of conducting an early Napoleonic campaign in either 1796-97 or 1799-1800. Campaigning would be PBEM with major battles fought remotely on the table in 15mm. Both of these would give me a chance to get my FRW collections out onto the table with the Russians actually getting a chance to see their first action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over the past few years I've gravitated towards learning more about the Pacific Campaign, as it's not something that tends to feature much this side of the Pond. The only downside is that I have nothing painted for it, would need to buy a load of Marines (I have US Army) plus make some suitable terrain. So a nice challenge for sure:)!

      Some early FRW games based around a campaign would certainly be fun. Again not something we tend to see much, as Old Boney is not involved really, but for me lots to tempt one. Let's hope you get to play something along these lines and get those Russians into action!

      Delete
    2. If part of the enjoyment from scraping together details of a new campaign is learning much more about the topic, watching new armies grow, and challenging yourself then the contrarian would suggest that the Pacific Theatre might fulfill all goals. If you want to hit the ground running in the New Year with games straight away, then Normandy may be the correct ticket to punch.

      Delete
    3. I see Burma and the Pacific as longer term projects, with Normandy quite easy to hit the ground running with. But still in the background I can be doing research etc, which is always fun:).

      Delete
  3. I would go for the one that you already have the most kit for, this will reduce the already significant burden of researching and getting a campaign up and running and less chance of getting de-railed.

    Poland ‘39 would be interesting, Normandy ‘44 more practical and also interesting.

    St. Lo if you have mostly U.S. units / Epsom if you have mostly Commonwealth.

    There is a very good book for St. Lo from a wargame perspective called Battle for St-Lô by Peter Yates in the Battle Zone Normandy series (book 10).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words Norm and hence why the Bookies are favouring Normandy! Poland '39 I have all the kit for, but most likely not the time to get it finished without it becoming a drag.

      I have a book on St. Lo, but no painted US troops or vehicles, so the good old Commonwealth troops will be the main feature. Again plenty of books on the main Operations in Normandy, so it will be largely down to what tickles my fancy and then go from there.

      Delete
  4. All good choices. Mine would be something along the lines of Tali-Ihantala. Or the campaign leading up to it. If you’ve got Soviets you’re already over halfway there. Quick repaint job on a Stug or two and light grey on some Germans and you have the Finns.
    What scale are you using Steve?
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10mm as always Chris. I have considered the Finns before, given they have some pretty cool camo schemes for their tanks and as you say, quite easy to convert the Germans with a paint job, certainly at this smaller scale. Rather like the Pacific above, I see this as a longer term project.

      Delete
  5. Normandy always seems like a safe bet with a lot of options when it comes to stringing together a narrative campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Peter and certainly much easier to string the narrative together than say with the wide open spaces of the Eastern Front.

      Delete
  6. Fine post Steve. I really want to do a campaign set during the War of the First Coalition, 1792-97. I've started working out some mechanics. I'll use my 6mm for big battles and my 28mm for smaller engagements. Both use different rulesets.
    As for yours Steve, I'd go with Normandy. Beaches, bocage, the race to close the Falaise Gap, all sounds great with lots of varying terrain and scenario opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard! It looks like you and Jon Freitag are on the same wavelength in terms of campaigns you want to play. Maybe next year can see something from the both of you, which would be fun?

      Normandy is looking a dead cert now with the bookies, but you never know...

      Delete
  7. I’d have gone 39 - 40 in 10mm. But anything you have a crack at will be entertaining mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark! At least I have 2025 to finally get my France 1940 campaign all set and ready to go. Loads of notes already there, so you never know I might squeeze it in next year too...

      Delete
  8. I will be interested to see where your musings lead you, Steve - I had realized it's a round figure year number form 1944 - I think 10 years ago (or maybe 20?!) we did a D day landing game in 15mm - might have to look at that again for the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it will be of interest to you Keith and of course enjoyable too!

      Delete
  9. An interesting post Steve. It is self evident that too am a big ‘fan’ of WW2 gaming. The d day landings themselves whilst historically very interesting don’t tend to give very good games in my view. I’m currently listening to James Holland’s new book on the Italian campaign and that has given me some ideas possibly in 15mm but I am not keen to collect yet another terrain set up. In 2024 I do hope to get some more Eastern front gaming/campaigning in both 6mm and 28mm. Certainly we will see more Sicily gaming and I already have some plans for some supplementary forces to my current collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. I agree that the actual landings themselves aren't terribly interesting to game, but D-Day +1 onwards offers some interesting possibilities in comparison. Then of course we have the big set piece Operations over very varied terrain, from the side open 'Goodwood' side, through the 'Suisse Normande' and of course the classic Bocage.

      Italy is interesting for sure, but I much prefer Sicily for games, finding it more varied in the challenges for both sides. I do hope you get some Eastern Front games in in both 'scales' as they should be rather good to view and of course read the AAR's.

      Delete
  10. I’m much more interested in the WW2 “sideshows” - so campaigns like East Africa and Operation Exporter (Lebanon & Syria) both in ‘41. Relatively small forces with limited support and plenty of exotic troop types.
    Operation Exporter is winning at present - I really ought to get my Pendraken order sorted before the planned price rise on 1 January… If only I didn’t have the Christmas distraction 😉
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WW2 sideshows are always of interest to me too, such as the East African Campaign and the Invasion of Madagascar. Sadly with limited free time, I've decided to focus on core periods and forces, then move onto the niche ones as and when time and funds allow.

      Delete