Monday 27 November 2023

60 Not Out!

Just over a week ago I turned 60. Now I'm not one to worry about age or birthdays (except at 25 when I felt old!) but there is something about hitting this new decade that seems to have brought on a period of hobby reflection. Now speaking to other friends in a similar situation, I know I'm not alone in this. What have I been musing upon and if anything, what will this mean for my hobby?

The Lead Pile
As touched upon briefly at the end of a previous post, I finally got around to getting everything out of the attic and other parts of the house to have a good look at actually what I've got. Simply put far too much! Heresy I know for many, but I'm being utterly realistic about what I'm likely to be able to achieve in making a dent on this. Like other gamers, some were bought for projects that never saw the light of day, for retail therapy during stressful times at work or for projects that are still in the pipeline. 

Projects & Periods
Looking through the above, some of the bags contained figures that I honestly struggled to remember why I bought them, but most I knew about when I saw them, even if I had forgotten they were there. So a few hours of sorting them into labelled boxes allowed me to take stock of all that was laid out in front of me.

I was confronted with the harsh realisation that given my current painting output, in front of my were well over a decades worth of projects, assuming my eyes and hands could carry on painting 10mm figures. Also it brought into sharp focus that would I in all honesty paint and play with 3 Seven Years War armies, given that these days the ImagiNations route is much more to my liking? Then what of the two Hundred Years War armies, the Baltic Crusades or the 19thC 'Big Game' armies?

In all likelyhood most of this stuff will be sold on to allow me to focus on those core periods I enjoy, namely 18thC, 19thC and WWII. The start has been very cathartic already and I hope to be able to shift most of the stuff in the New Year, maybe before, but with the post being somewhat unreliable in the run up to Xmas, most likely after that.

Rules
Over the years I've bought into so many different and new rulesets that promised so much and in most cases, sadly failed to deliver. Luckily over the past 5 years or so I've really settled on core sets that I enjoy and play often, namely BKCII, Honours of War and the Black Pwder stable. Alongside these I would include Bloody Big Battles and Dan Mersey's 'Rampant' series, although these rarely get an outing.

Some other rules will be kept back as they might have some nice ideas in them, for nostalgia value etc, but everything else will go. As other friends have found lately, it is pretty hard to sell old rules and given the cost of postage, it's not really worth the effort, so it will be off to a charity shop if I can't sell them locally. I know I won't miss them and will greatly appreciate the extra space on the bookshelves that this will free up.

Game Time
This year has been a challenging one in which to find time to game, as it's been a busy on on the parent/carer front and I can't see much changing next year. My 2' x 2' games have been a lifeline, with the odd 3' x 2' and 4' x 4' thrown in for good measure. Anything larger is hard to find in around family duties or even to leave set up, as much as I would like to. So this has also driven what I plan to keep and what is surplus to requirments.

Type Of Games
When I first got back into gaming it was via skirmish games, which were prefect for the situation at that time with a young family and little time for anything larger. As time moved on my ideas out grew what I could realistically achieve, such as Brigade level games of BKCII played at home solo that would last all day or more! Currently a reinforced Battalion or Regiment per side is what I can easily achieve and play through at home and played to conclusion in a few hours, with something slightly larger with a bit of planning and approval from SWMBO due to the disruption of leaving the game set up. Again this means that those large army ideas from the early days have led to lots of surplus figures.

Campaigns
One off games whilst OK and a good way to keep you hand in, test new ideas, scenarios and rules out etc, really don't float my boat anymore. I much prefer a narrative driven campaign, no matter the period being played. Sadly this is not always possible but I have reams of paper full of ideas that one day I might even get around to playing. Hopefully next year I might even get to run a few, which would be nice.

Painting
I think that this is the hardest part of the hobby to find motivation to do. Certainly after the deadline for the Cotswold Wargames Day, my mojo has waned significantly for a variety of reasons. Not having a dedicated painting area doesn't help, plus after some 30+ years in the design and modelmaking industry, it can feel like a busman's holiday at times. Don't get me wrong, when the muse is upon me, I love to paint, but as each year progresses her visits seem to lessen.

Terrain
Whilst I struggle to find the mojo to paint, the complete reverse is true of scratch building terrain for my games. Again I have loads of sketches for ideas dotted about all over the place, but finding the time to make them become reality is my biggest issue. Hopefully with the figure cull and focusing on core periods again, I can get back into the garage to make stuff.

Storage
A perennial issue but after getting everything into one place, I have at least been able to make a start on organising stuff better, whether it be finished armies or part of the lead pile or terrain. SWMBO did mention that when our son eventually moves out, I might be able to have that as my man cave-cumgames room! Whilst small it is at least a start!

Less Is More
So I'm hoping that with the above fresh in my mind, I can actually make a 'fresh start' to this new decade once I've had a good clear out and re-organisation. As mentioned earlier the start has been cathartic and I hope to maintain the momentum to that I can have less projects moving forward, but ones that I really want to play and enjoy playing them.

TTFN.

30 comments:

  1. We are clearly treading the same path at the same time matey. My only failing is I can never (apart from the twilight series of rules) bring myself to get rid of rule books however much they sucked. Maybe they’ll improve with age?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are clearly not alone in this Mark! I've never had a problem ditching rulebooks that haven't hit the mark for me. I'd much rather that space on the shelf was taken up with stuff that I know I will play, refer back to etc in due course. Maybe you will feel the urge one day. Getting rid of figures has been my issue, but now the die is cast, I have no problem with it. Actually finding potential buyers might be the harder thing...

      Delete
  2. Hi Steve, it is the season for clearing out :-) and as you know, this is an area that I have been exploring / prosecuting of late and bringing everything together to give a one time - one place inventory is the perfect start, if not a little alarming at how much has been acquired.

    Had I still been selling, I too would have stopped now and waited for the new year, for the postal service to be less fraught, including the frequent runs to the post office that are needed.

    Ross Mac over on his ‘Battle Game of the Month’ blog is a great proponent of the view that a clear out not only creates physical space, but also mental space too, as the distraction of what is not important is removed - I whole heartedly agree.

    That fact that I got rid of one scale and kept another, does not mean that I won’t miss the things I got rid of, I will ….. but for my own kind of mindset, a line has to be drawn in the sand, a goal made and a goal achieved. Is it perfect? no, do I have a dedicated gaming room? no, does it do what it needs to do (for me)? Yes!

    Like your good self, I don’t have a permanent painting station, rather there are 5 or 6 ‘things’ that I bring to the dining table, do an hour and then pack away. I am actually okay with that limitation, I am guessing that is what most of us are doing anyway. I am trying to paint most days, but if it doesn’t happen, I don’t beat myself up. Today, I just added the metal tracking marks to two Panther tank models and that was enough, the time ran out and any progress is progress - tonight, I might do the ink wash …… or not! :-)

    Perhaps once you decide where the focus is to fall, your painting mojo will return.

    I like the idea of campaigns and ongoing stories / sagas, they do add a purpose, yours have always worked out really well.

    From my recent experience, I would also strongly advocate the refuse centre (gasps of horror from the audience), it certainly has its place in the clear out and nothing is more final than such a visit …. there is NO going back and sometimes a bit of clearing out needs that discipline and decisiveness.

    Anyway, good … a pathway has started, good luck with your fresh start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding that cathartic mental head space to be much more liberating than the physical space it's created. I've been meaning to do it since before lockdown and now I've made the move, feel so much better for it. I'm sure I will miss the potential of some ideas and projects, but that is probably wishful thinking, given that some packages have lain opened and not used for over 10 years, so time for them to go!

      Painting is more the mental than physical issues for me, as I need to want to paint rather than paint for its own sake. Tanks etc I find easier to do than line infantry, as they seem quicker to me, but then maybe I'm just a track head at heart.

      I'm looking forward to getting some campaigns in and was thinking about one last night, that is in its early stages. As always, so many ideas, so little time...

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your birthday. And good luck on your...optimization (?) project. The games that actually make it to the table, the models we actually
    use, the rules we actually play, are not always the same as we pictured in our heads. Not necessarily a bad thing - the wisdom of experience is real - but we do best to take it into account. Not every rulebook is going to be to our taste, not every project is going to work out, not every figure is going to look on the table the way we thought it would, but as long as we have enough good things to satsify our gaming and creative urges, then we are doing alright, even if there are a nearly infinite number of games that we aren't playing. They don't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 60th, Steve! I think there must be something in the water...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon! Certainly something is going on this side of the pond...

      Delete
  5. That officially still makes me young Steve, but I await this moment of reflection with some trepidation. In all honesty I am looking to remove from my collection stuff which I consider to be unwanted. For me this isn’t really whole projects which have failed rather some of the stuff which gets picked up around the edges and certainly some of my fantasy collection which I know is unlikely to see the light of day. I have even spent some time counting what I have in certain collections. This is really to discourage me from just growing and growing a collection when really I might like to start something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to take stock of things now and then Matt. Looking at some of my WWII stuff, I really do wonder do whether I need to keep it, given that it is unlikely ever to be used, given I have plenty of other stuff that deserves more attention. The trouble is I find it hard to get rid of WWII bits'n'bobs as it's always been my first love!

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday Steve! Welcome to the 60+ club. I got my free buspass 11 months ago.
    I’m having a mini clear out. Just the 6mm Napoleonic armies. But it’s a start. What I haven’t done, but think is a good idea is to have a review of what I’m looking for in my wargaming in the future.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris! Sadly no free bus pass here yet for another 7 years:(. A mini clear out is a start, which I found to be the hardest part. Once that first step was taken, it took on a life of its own. I found looking at what I want and can achieve moving forward games wise really helped focus my mind on clearing stuff out. Hopefully it will prove to be the same for you!

      Delete
  7. Steve -
    As age creeps up on us (or pounces when the gout sets in) we tend to develop an increased sense of mortality. That might tend to focus the mind upon one's large (ish) inventory of armies, but my problem is that there is nothing unwanted, even if I've done nothing with them for years. And years.

    My accommodation is similar to yours, and I have to confess to having wargamery stuff scattered about all over the house, not all of it easily retrievable, worse luck; not so much buried under a whole lot of other stuff as I'm not sure which box the stuff I want just now is in. And then occasionally one gets assailed by certain infirmities that leave one disinclined to put figures on the table. One finds other things to do - like terrain construction - which, if not progressing very fast, is progressing.

    Maybe the iron will enter the soul and I'll shovel some stuff out the door. But so far any attempts to do so have ended in regret, or else a 'WhatwasIthinking??' change of mind. You are far more disciplined than I am!
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am by nature a tidy person, so am always a tad frustrated at having to search for stuff for a game and never quite sure which box it's in. So now the plan is to label all the boxes, which frankly I should have done years ago. UK houses are some of the smallest in Europe, so lack of space is another driver in having a good cull as currently I'm pushing SWMBO patience with stuff sticking out from under the bed, on top of the wardrobes etc!

      Delete
  8. Congrats on your 60th. While you may be having a clear out, or tidy up, you do have a clear idea of the games and eras you enjoy playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! After years of faffing about, it is nice to have gained a modicum of clarity on my way forward:).

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on your birthday! Like Ion I'm resistant to getting rid of figures, it's more of a break on acquisition of new ones I think that I'm doing, trying not to rush into new armies/ periods!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your birthday! Like Ion I'm resistant to getting rid of figures, it's more of a break on acquisition of new ones I think that I'm doing, trying not to rush into new armies/ periods!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain:). If I hadn't done retail therapy for whatever reason, leading to half-baked plans for periods, then I wouldn't be in this position! At least I'm trying to make amends for this now...

      Delete
  11. Welcome to your 60s, hope you find it's just fine. I am 1 year ahead of you, and no bus pass here either, but the Senior Railcard can be useful, and look out for 'senior' discounts at various venues!
    Interesting to see your thoughts - admirably realistic, I think. Less is indeed more, and de-cluttering is as much about mental as physical space. You are clearly on the right lines..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David! I still think I'm 25, even if my age and aching body tell me otherwise;). I'm glad you think I'm on the right lines and I'm already feeling the benefits from the mental clearout, even if the physical side hasn't really started:).

      Delete
  12. I now have less than 6 months till I reach State Pension Age (although, to be fair, I have only worked 2 1/2 days a week since I was 59). I’m looking forward to it and to finally saying goodbye to the world of work…
    Like you, I have plenty of plans - primarily sorting proper shelving for all my books, magazines and comics, as well as figures. Hopefully the space freed up will allow a bit of a shuffle around so I can find space for a permanent wargames table. I don’t really want to get rid of my hobby “stuff” but my daughter isn’t going to want it, much less try to make sense of it/dispose of it. I’ll hopefully be able to see things clearer once work is finally finished and I can just concentrate on… well… errr… whatever. One negative is that my wife thinks that once I’m retired all the cleaning & chores will be down to me… ☹️😖
    At least the end is in sight for me.
    Good luck with your efforts Steve. Remember, you don’t really need to justify what you do hobby-wise - as long as it “feels the right thing to do” then that’s good enough.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geoff! I do all the cleaning in the house and have done for years, but not nescessarily up to my wife's standard;). Having a dedicated space would be nice, ditto a permanent table, which I might be able to achieve in a year or two. At least I could leave something semi-permanent in the spare room, post my big sort out, something which I'll need to broach with my wife...

      I know a few gamers who have reduced their collections, to minimise the issue of disposal once they have popped off this mortal coil. Not something we want to consider for many years yet, but it will come to all of us at some point for sure.

      Delete
  13. Happy Birthday Steve - you know I am 18 months ahead of you, as we have discussed it. No Gold Card for me yet but a butcher did ask my wife (59 but with 100% natural grey hair!) if she had one the other day much to the amusement of her and my 24-year-old daughter - the 20 something butcher was a bit embarrassed, I think!
    You know my views on getting rid of figures I think and as I have only ever bought about two sets of rules in my life, I don't have to worry about them - although I did divest myself of about 50% of my book collection not that long ago - I think it might have been Feb/Apr? It did not make me feel any better but most of them were things I had read and was unlikely to read again so they went to one of those book exchange shops where they give you $1 per book even if it's something you paid $40 or $60 for - and then resell them for $25 - thieving bstrds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith! You should say your wife is an 'artic blonde' rather than grey;).

      I know getting rid of figures is anathema to you, but it's not something that bothers me too much, as this time round it's all unpainted lead. When I switched to 10mm from 15mm and 28mm it was a mix of painted and unpainted. The only ones I regret selling where some of my first figures, including the original White Dwarf sculpt from the late '70's or early '80's. I wish I'd kept those for nostalgia reasons, but lack of space and all that:(.

      That book exchange would drive me mad! I'm quite happy to give to charity shops as they sell them for a few quid tops, so no gross profiteering there!

      Delete
    2. Hi Steve, pretty sure I've got a spare one of those white dwarves, drop me your address to caveadsum1471@yahoo.com and I'll send it as a late birthday present, not sure when you'll get it !
      Best Iain

      Delete
    3. Iain, that's terribly kind of you and I'll drop you a line over the next day or two:).

      Delete
  14. Wow. Having hit that same point last year, I am surprised and relieved that the reflections and thoughts I have had are exactly the same as yours. I am not alone! Time is cruel and realising its limitations is not fatalistic, but an opportunity to realise and focus on what matters to each of us individually... and then enjoy.
    A really good post. Thank you for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Richard and that it struck a chord too, which as mentioned is a bit of a theme with my friends at present. I sorted through a load of AFV's today and made a big dent in the mess of various sized boxes I have been using. Still rather surprised at how much I've actually got once you see it all in one place. The big advantage is that I can easily see (and find) those bits'n'bobs to round off core forces that I've been meaning to do for years!

      Delete