Sunday 26 November 2023

Reveille 2023 Wargames Show

This morning I took a quick trip to my local wargames show, Reveille, organised by Lincombe Barn Wargames Society. Small by most standards, I try and attend each year as I feel it is important to keep these going as they provide as nice place to meet other local gamers, showcase the hobby to potential new players and give local traders some much needed business I'm sure.

So first off some photos of some of the games:

Never Mind The Ruckus - Medieval Skirmish 28mm. This was just starting and appeared to be card driver and possibly based upon Never Mind The Billhooks mechanics?

Some nice details, such as these beehives.

6mm WWII by Quick Fire Wargames Club. Sadly no idea on the rules in use.

Lots of table 'detritus' on show, due to no space to put it anywhere else!

54mm French-Indian Wars.

Lots of very impressive stuff to see, whether figures of terrain.



Rapid Fire WWII - 15mm?


1930's Gangsters - 28mm.

Loads of lovely buildings on show.


Loved this monument.

A nice contrast to all the other buildings.



Post Show Thoughts
I arrived not long after it opened and spent just shy of an hour there. A few musings on what I thought in no particular order:
  • The show is spread across 4 rooms of varying size, due to the fact that it's held in a village hall-cum-community centre. This naturally limits what can be put on games wise and also the space for the traders to display their wares. This year I thought they got the balance right, as the main hall didn't feel as crowded as previous years and you could get a decent view of the games, even if you did have to edge past the odd rucksack!
  • The quality of the games this year was the best I've seen for a long time, with a nice mix of scales too. Sadly the compact nature of the venue means that there is not space to display games info and somehow I was not given a leaflet, which might have shown some info on who was running what game etc.
  • The show was well attended when I arrived just after opening, with a good mix of ages, especially some new young bloods with their parents, on show. So despite the obvious greying of the hobby and the familiar faces I saw, it was nice to see more younger players than previous years.
  • It was nice to catch up with a few people too, but sadly didn't have the chance to have as many chats as I would have liked.
  • As ever the traders selling second hand stuff seemed to be busy, but not as bad at the Colours infamous B'n'B scrum! To be honest I wasn't after anything but it's always nice to see what is 'new' in the hobby, given that I don't buy magazines anymore.

Even though it was a splash-and-dash visit, I was glad I went and the games certainly gave me some ideas for table dressing items I could add, albeit a bit tricky in 10mm!

TTFN.


15 comments:

  1. Interesting mix of games and some great models Steve. Sort of show I would like to see but a bit far. Had it been last weekend I could have combined it with the football in Nailsworth.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could have spent a bit more time looking at the games Chris, but it was a tad too cramped to be able to do this, as there was a lot to enjoy. It's nice to have this sort of show so close by (less than 20 minutes drive), given how some gamers have nothing within a much longer drive, if at all.

      That's a fair old trek for your team to get to Nailsworth and vice versa of course!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a good day out for you. Nice to see you able to get away for a few hours. The FIW game looks marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to get out the house for a bit, especially as I've struggling with a cold all week. The FIW game was great and as mentioned above, I would have liked to get a better look. 54mm really does work well for shows as it just looks great and I've noticed a few more of this 'scale' over the past few years.

      Delete
  3. Agree the FIW game was the one that captured my interest. Also interesting to note something if a resurgence in Rapid Fire lately (hoorah). Nice to have a show on the doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The FIW game certainly stood out amongst the crowd due to the rather nice fort in one corner, plus of course all the figures and nice terrain too. I think I've seen rapid Fire played every year at this show, but often tucked away in a side room so you could never get a good view of the game. I noticed RP rules and scenario books on sale too, but annoyingly no prices on display!

      Delete
  4. That looks a nice little show Steve. Made all the better by it being relatively nearby. Were there many traders in attendance?
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice little show Geoff, with this year being a pretty good one IMHO. A list of the traders can be found below:
      https://www.bristolwargaming.co.uk/reveille.html

      Delete
    2. A fair few traders then - and not necessarily all the “big names” that attend the larger shows. It’s always good to see new traders and checkout their products first-hand.
      Cheers,
      Geoff

      Delete
  5. What a great show! Thank you for awesome photos sir!
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems like a very well spent hour Steve - all the games looked good but possibly my favourite looking one is "Never Mind The Ruckus"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to get out to a show, even if only for an hour Keith. Sadly the Ruckus game was just about to start, as I think it would have looked even better with battle commenced etc.

      Delete
  7. Great looking show, nice looking games!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good show this year Iain with a very good mix of games and all to a very high standard IMHO.

      Delete