Friday 21 October 2022

The Burma Campaign 1941 - 45

Over the years I have pondered on and off as to whether to game the Pacific War or not, specifically the Japanese forces, but have for a variety of reasons not pursued the idea further. However a recent post from David's excellent Tales From GHQ got me thinking and soon the butterfly wings started flapping again.

I suppose my first introduction to the Japanese came about via the Airfix Chi-Ha tank that I or my friend had. Around the same time I bought some Tamiya figures for some unknown reason that is lost in the mists of time. Nothing ever really happened with these figures and kits as our focus was firmly set in North Africa or Normandy '44.

All I can remember about this tank was that the aerial was a sod to put on and kept breaking off, but that it did have a great camo scheme!


I still have no idea why these were ever bought. I think I did assemble them and that was that.

At the same time (1970's) as the above we used to go to the Burma Star Association displays at one of the local airforce bases near Cambridge, that were always a great day out. But aside from enjoying the spectacle of aeroplanes, tanks, AFV's etc, my knowledge of the Far East Campaign remained minimal at best. The Forgotten Army were, well, forgotten...

So on a quiet day after some parent carer stuff I did some Google surfing for some background reading and came across the following book, which looked to be a good read and in fact has turned out to be a superb one. The author served in Burma and as a fluent Japanese speaker, had the advantage of interrogating and interviewing Japanese officers during and after the war, to get a view from the other side.


Highly recommended and this cost me just £3.22 inc p&p. 

As I started reading the book, I decided upon getting a small Japanese force, (a reinforced Battalion) to fight some action in the Burmese theatre, but with the additional bonus of being able to fight in the Pacific as well as in Manchuria against the Russians, before and at the end of the war. To keep thing simple and quick to get onto the table, the British and Indian troops would for the moment consist of my existing European theatre figures. Not perfect for sure but close enough for me. Now I'm a sucker for quirky armour and the Japanese tanks tick all the boxes on this front, so some Light and Medium tanks were added as support.

The Type 89 tank is on my list to get as a 3D print, but this is quirky for sure and with a camo scheme that I love and takes me back to that Airfix Chi-Ha of my childhood.

With the figures and AFV's sorted, it was not a case of thinking about any additional terrain that I might need. My first thought would that it would be lots of jungle, but as I read Allen's book, I soon realised that the Burma Campaign was fought across very varied landscapes, from dry and dusty almost desert plains, through wooded hills, to coastal strips and the oft seen jungle. As I love building terrain something new to give me a challenge whilst I waited for my order to arrive.

For the jungle and bamboo grooves, some aquarium plants have been ordered from China and hopefully will be OK scale wise, but will most likely need a far amount of tweaking to look right. Rice paddies were next on my list and I have already made a start on these. I hadn't realised that for about half the year they are completely dry and only 'flooded' during the Monsoon season. So I've made a mix of both for a bit of variety, but more on that in another post. Buildings might be an issue as my usual go to suppliers of Leven Miniatures and Battlescale do not do a suitable Far East range. I know there are some from Timecast for Vietnam, but I need to some more research to see what is out there. Then there will be some log bunkers to make, which will be easy but a nice changed from European ones.

In the future I might add in some Chinese troops as again, I didn't realise how much they fought in Burma and how they 'rescued' a trapped British unit early on. Pendraken do a Korean range that the figures when on the table, should look perfectly fine. There are some aircraft that would be fun to have, such as the following Vultee Vengeance, which I'd never heard of before:

This might be available as a 3D print if I'm lucky.

So a nice little project to try and get finished over the Winter, all being well. Aside from this my Imagi-Nations armies have re-started now that a small order has turned up that I was waiting for. I just need to get in the mood for painting again after the wonderfully warm and sunny weather we've had of late. Plenty to keep me going for sure.

Until next time, stay safe and keep healthy, especially as Covid cases are on the rise again here in Blighty.

18 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fascinating and unusual period to wargame. I share your enthusiasm for Japanese tanks...very quirky indeed....but no match whatsoever for Allied or Russian tanks. I think Burma is very like Vietnam from a building perspective. Looking forward to the new scenery which you always do so well...Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony. I've seen more skirmish level games (think Chain of Command) set in Burma than Battalion level ones, which maybe down to the terrain issue. Certainly a lot of the action works well at the Company level and below. However I like the bigger games using BKCII, but have on occasion gone smaller, but still using the same rules.

      Japanese tanks are rubbish but with camo schemes like the one shown, you've just got to have some. Early on I think they were more effective, but that is a relative term for sure. I'm looking forward to fielding some Grants that in comparison are Tiger II's!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting Steve. My uncle, now long dead, flew the vengeance over Burma, and he was less than complimentary about it! I still have his flight logs from 42 to 46 and they have made interesting reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thenaks JBM and I'm certainly on a nice road of discovery. As mentioned the campaign I knew so little about other than Slim, Wingate et al, so nice to learn something new and to be presented with new challenges on the wargames table.

      Some pilots loved the Vengeance, but it was difficult to land due to poor visibility. Apparently due to a design cock-up on the centre of gravity and the remedy required (which led to it's poor view from the cock-pit), it was a very accurate dive-bomber due to the wings not drifting it off target in the dive.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with this project Steve. The Japanese armour might have been good against weak forces - such as, say, the Chinese - but, as Tony mentioned, was no match whatsoever to the armies of the allies and Russians with their far superior industrial might. I do have some 20mm Japanese for skirmishing in Manchuria and a small set-up for the Pacific island battles. Like much of my stuff, it rarely makes it onto the tabletop before I’m distracted by the next new shiny project…
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Geoff. The use of the Japanese armour will be an interesting challenge for sure, but one I'm looking forward to. Later on I think they were used very much as mobile pill boxes, dug-in in various positions etc. In the open they wouldn't have a cat-in-Hell's chance, as happened in the Imphal and Kohima battles. Shiny new projects diverting one? I know that feeling for sure!

      Delete
  4. Best of luck with this project - I have had something similar in mind for a while too, although I am still in the ruminating stage. I would love to do the Japanese invasion period of 1941-2 in particular and really integrate the air and naval war into it too. One day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and as you can see, I've been mulling this 'project' over for many years! I think the boardgame route would be the best way to integrate any naval and air support for the early campaign. I didn't realise how much a side show the Burma campaign was for the Japanese, with it being very much a flank protection action, that developed into more due to some internal politicing and the need to provide Tojo with a 'win' after losses in the Pacific in '43 & '44.

      Delete
  5. I remember having that Tamiya kit back in the very old days of building 1/35th armor.

    Your Burma project sounds very interesting. This is a theatre I know very little about and will be following along with interest.

    Recently, I have been attracted to gaming Pacific War battles using hex and counter wargames.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found the book an excellent and enlightening read so far, just the sort of book to whet the appetite as well as providing enough useful info for us gamers, without getting bogged down in detail. I think for the Pacific War you really do need to board game it due to the huge distances involved, the size of the forces etc. As mentioned above you could then transfer some part of the action to the table top.

      Delete
  6. Nice to see a new project move off the blocks. You like your Italian armour and I see Japanese armour somewhat in the way. I'm sure the armour will be both fine and interesting and that it will be the scenario creation that will be the 'clever' bit. looking forward to how you tackle the terrain. I note the BKC II label at the foot of the post, so this is going to be fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After so long pondering this Norm, I am enjoying the opening moves as it were. I'm certainly learning a lot about the campaign and the issues involved, which I'm finding fascinating. The scenario creation will be important as you rightly point out, but as with my other games, I hope to run some narrative campaigns, which allow for both small and larger scale actions.

      Delete
  7. It’s exciting to start a new project! Especially with winter coming.
    You’ve got to make a miniature tennis court. Surely!
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed Chris, especially as it's been peeing it down here pretty much all day. A tennis court and bungalow could be on the cards at some point...

      Delete
  8. I will follow this project with interest, Steve. Julian and I engaged in a fair bit of 15mm Far East gaming about six or eight years ago...I got a load of Command Decision infantry and a few vehicles. We mainly did early war, when the Japanese were in the ascendancy, although we had a few involving USMC etc later in the war. We mostly used CrossFire as the rules of choice, although we also played some board games, using figures, too. The Japanese armour was OK against the early Commonwealth forces but not great when competing against a Sherman in the later games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully my efforts will be of interest to all and sundry Keith! My main focus will be on Burma, but I'm sure there will be the odd Pacific island action at some point in the future, just for something different. I'm not expecting much from the Japanese tanks, but rather like my Ft-17's or Italian tankettes, when they do achieve a 'kill' it is rather surprising but also satisfying to see:).

      Delete
  9. Off piste but glad that I've found you again Steve. My blog roll had completely lost you. Now I can update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that Richard, but glad you're back:).

      Delete