Saturday 23 April 2022

Operation Cygent - Post Campaign Thoughts

With the recent and successful attack on Pemba, giving the British the objective of the campaign, I thought I'd do a bit of a wash up on how the campaign finished and then some thoughts on the campaign in general.

The mist continued to linger over the campaign area, as both sides took stock of their respective situations. See the map below for more details:

An overview of the campaign map and the general dispositions for both sides.

The British are firmly in control of Pemba (3), with no immediate threat that can be seen. A depleted 'A' Coy and 'A' Sqdn, with 2nd Recce, are holding the approaches to the bridge to Pemba. The German Volkstuurm and 2nd FJ Kompanie lack any offensive capability in reality. The Nebelwerfer (2) has no FAO left to call it in and the Heavy Panzer Kompanie are too far away to pose any imminent threat to the British positions.

'D' Coy and 'D' Sqdn, although depleted in strength, have plenty of armoured support in the form of Churchills and Cromwells. The FJ Kompanies around them have no armour to support them, no any heavy weapons with which to maintain any prospect of offensive action.



Post Campaign Thoughts
In no particular order:
  • The Warplan 5/5 map was perfect for my needs, with the basic terrain descriptions for each square enough to allow me to figure out some basic positions for forces etc, without having to go into too much detail. The simple map movement worked fine too and was easy to remember. I will certainly be using these maps again for my games and campaigns.
  • Next time I might try and find a map with a bit more varied terrain, rather than lots of open grazing land. Of course I can always tweak the terrain descriptions to suit, but it is easier to use those given.
  • The simple Recce spotting rules worked OK, if not always that effective due to poor dice rolls! Something that I might work up in a bit more detail, but will ponder this and other issues in due course.
  • The Random Deployment entrance points worked fine for the Germans, along with the Hidden Counters and Blinds, giving a nice Fog of War to the game, which is just perfect for solo play. It was always fun to see what was 'under' each counter when it was revealed, wither voluntarily of as a result of Recce spotting.
  • I deliberately kept the initial German forces that were available 'light weight', to reflect the hasty nature of the German response. As the Campaign Turns progressed, 'heavier materiel' became available, such as the Panzers and Heavy Panzers. Not knowing what had actually been drawn added a nice level of friction to the campaign. all-in-all I'm pretty happy with how this worked.
  • The Weather Chart was great and this is something that I will certainly be using in future games where appropriate. It added another level to the campaign and the games, as the case of the Mist showed. Its effects were not too dramatic but enough to be noticeable, which was good.
  • The basic starting OOB were good, but I wished I had typed them up and printed them out to make it easier to keep track of the losses suffered by both sides. This is certainly much easier to do that various bits of paper here and there. Lesson learnt.
  • The mixed German units were fun to have in the Campaign, even though not all of them got to see action. How often do you actually field Volkstuurm or out of date Panzers in a game? Certainly a first for me and something I hope to do in the future.
  • Borrowing some ideas from battlegroup Panzer Grenadier worked well, but these really need to be worked up into a more formal set of house rules for future games. This will be done in the cold light of day, once the Campaign is out of my hair so to speak.
  • The 'House Hosing' felt right and like the above, this needs some thought and firming up for future games.
  • I'm really happy how the Campaign played out from a solo perspective. Nominally I was the British commander, but the items outlined above made it really fun and unpredictable throughout. I would change hats so to speak when it was the German's Campaign Turn and think what would be the most logical approach for them and also ignoring the God's eye view that I had of the table.
  • I did find it hard to maintain momentum as the Campaign progressed, as some of the fun went out of it as I felt I needed to keep putting updates on the Blog. The break did me good but it was hard to pick up where I had finished off and at what stage was the Campaign. 
  • I felt the Campaign as a whole, being inspired by Operation Market-Garden, worked really well. Having a grounding in a historical campaign and/or action, helped figure out the whole narrative. So for example the weather and its effects upon Air Support, the fragmented nature of the German units and reinforcements etc. Going forward I will try and do something similar for future campaigns. Of course the historical research part of it is fun too.
  • Be flexible and take the KISS approach to the Campaign. Afterall you want it to be fun and frankly you cannot cover every conceivable situation that might arise. Things what would be the most probable outcome of any situation, given the local and overall situation and then go with that. It seemed to work OK in this campaign.

It seems funny to think that it is all over now and that it's time to move onto to something else. What that might be I'm not sure. I want to try and get some painting in for a campaign I have planned for the Autumn, alongside some smaller games of something or other. We'll have to wait and see what might grab my attention.

I have a FtF game tomorrow with a friend and some acquaintences from the Cotwswold Wargaming Day, using 28mm figures on a large table and some SYW type Imagi-Nations using the ever excellent Honours of War rules. This should be fun and I'm looking forward to it and keeping my fingers crossed my back holds up!

So until next time, stay safe and keep healthy!

21 comments:

  1. Steve, I enjoyed following your campaign and especially like seeing your post-campaign thoughts. I am really pleased to see that you overcame the "mid-campaign blues" and plodded on to a conclusion. Great job on picking it up and finishing!

    What's next? Who knows but I look forward to seeing in which direction you wander? I think a historical campaign on Crete would be interesting...

    Enjoy your F2F gaming and HoW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon and I'm glad you enjoyed the campaign. Now you've mentioned Crete, I can't get it out of my head! Damn you;).

      Delete
  2. Some good thoughts there Steve, I understand what you mean around the variation of terrain, I have been looking at some OS maps to try and convert for a number of games.
    I liked the idea of varied units and the light troops making way for more heavier units.
    Looking forward to whatever comes next.
    Best wishes
    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Stu. I've been pondering some OS maps too for a campaign I have in mind for the Autumn. Not sure quite how to make it work yeat, but a nice challenge.

      Delete
  3. Well done Steve....I was slightly concerned mid campaign with all the discussion about Norms sabbatical going on ...it seemed like he might cause a domino effect on others at one point...you being amongst them. Do you feel all the discussion may have galvanised a few more bloggers to start leaving comments.? I do enjoy your blow by blow accounts but if they are too demanding on your time, please feel free to go for a simpler reporting format....just don't give up on the blog altogether ! Living in NZ, our group has played a number of Crete based games over the years, particularly around Maleme airport etc. Seeing you tackle this campaign would be very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More grist for seeing a Crete Aflame campaign...

      Delete
    2. You know what, Keith? I thought much the same as you about Norm's voluntary blogging hiatus. I figured others might just throw in the towel too.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Keith. Norm's post along with real life issues meant that it did give some moments of reflection about Blogging and 'demands' it makes upon us. I don't mind my blow-by-blow accounts as, when I'm in the mood, I'm quite happy to do them.

      Whether Norm's post has given some impetus to others to actually leave comments, I'm not so sure, but hopefully it has made us all think about Blogging in general. I have no intention of giving it up, but am balancing it more with life in general, along with reducing my screen time etc.

      Delete
    4. As for the Crete campaign, something I have pondered over the years, as there is so much going for it. I've dug out my Opsrey book so the butterfly wings have begun to flap already! I can see why it's popular down under as it were, given the ANZAC forces involved. Watch this space...

      Delete
  4. Thanks for posting this campaign review - really useful points for solo gamers such as myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and I find inspiration for solo gaming from yours and other Blogs too, so it's nice to recipricate things now and then.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for taking the time to set this up and play it through to the end. It turned out to be a very well thought through series of games which I greatly enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, I know I certainly did, after my brief hiatus!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for these thoughts on running a solo campaign. The gridded map is a great idea to give it some structure and I think it would also keep your interest up as you plot out future battles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Ben. The map really does make things nice and simple, which is all you really need, certainly for a solo campaign.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the campaign summary Steve. It was good to read your thoughts at the conclusion of the campaign, as it is always helpful to review things and to acknowledge what went well & what, if anything, needs further consideration. Lessons learned etc…

    From a gaming & historical perspective, do you think the campaign went well because it was a period with which you have a considerable familiarity? Or would it have been broadly the same even if it had been a time period with which you had little/limited knowledge?
    I suppose, as much of wargaming is about “getting painted toys of the tabletop”, then people are much, much more likely to be campaigning in periods for which they already have an interest anyway.

    The Warplan 5/5 maps were good, it’s just a shame that it’s no longer commercially available as I’m sure it would save much time & effort for a considerable number of gamers.
    Ah well, c’est la vie as they say.

    Did you enjoy the campaign? This is meant to be a pleasant hobby which we should enjoy. If it becomes a chore then, sure, something has to change. Please don’t feel you are “pressured” to update your blog. We must all understand that sometimes “real life” has to be the priority and that hobbies, by necessity, must take a back seat.
    Still, it was good to hear that your batteries were recharged during your recent hiatus and that you are now able to continue with blogging/gaming etc - whether you want to have a slight change in direction, or frequency or whatever that’s your decision. The important thing is to enjoy whatever you’re doing.

    I hope your FtF game today went well. Maybe, if things don’t go too well, then perhaps you might want to try to put a call in to those nebelwerfers? 😂🤣

    Take care and keep safe,

    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geoff. Certainly this campaign felt pretty easy given my familiarity with Operation Market-Garden, ever since I read 'A Bridge Too Far' on holiday in the 1970's. This certainly helped a lot as that background knowledge made it easier to make decisions and also to drive the narrative.

      It's a shame the Warplan 5/5 maps are no longer available, as they are a brilliant resource for us gamers. I'm not sure how much the 'younger' gamer may want to use the though, but one can but hope.

      Overall I did enjoy the campaign, but a combination of factors meant that I needed to take a break from it, so I wasn't doing it just for the sake of it, otherwise there's no fun in that.

      The FtF game went very well and there is now a report on my Blog.

      Delete
  8. I’m glad the FtF game went well Steve. I’ll read through the relevant blog entry and leave a comment shortly 😀

    ReplyDelete