Thursday 7 April 2022

Live Free or Die

As recently mentioned, I had no plans to purchase any new rules this year. Afterall it's not like I'm short of them. However one day after reading some reviews of 'Live Free or Die' by those Little Wars TV chaps on a few Blogs, I sought out a copy of the rules that inspired them, Loose Files & American Scramble, to see what all the fuss was about. I was immediately taken with the simplicity of the rules, but ones that had a lot of depth to them. 

So off to a good start as it were. Then I watched the Youtube tutorial of how the game mechanics broadly work and was further impressed. The Little Wars TV chaps also have some supporting info on their website, including a sample scenario, which can be found here: Little Wars TV. Again all looked rather enticing.

The only fly in the ointment was that it was not stocked here in the UK and I'm not one for reading a pdf online, which was one option to buy it from across the pond. Then a week or so passed and then I saw that it was available from Caliver Books in the UK, but for just over £30 plus p&p. This seemed a tad on the high side for some rules, but then it was clarified by others that along with the rules you also get the scenario book too. It should be noted too that half the proceeds from the sale of the book goes towards supporting the American Battlefields Trust, which is great to see. Happy to support this trust and having liked what I had read so far, I dived in and bought the book.




So what do I think of the rules? Note that I've yet to play them, but with that in mind, read on:

  • The book is spiral bound so lays nice and flat when on the table, which is always a good thing in my book.
  • The rules really are only 4 pages long, but everything is pretty clear and is certainly more 'modern' in its thinking than the original 'Loose Files & American Scramble'. This is very clear when you watch the Youtube video play through.
  • There is a page of designer notes, which I find very useful when reading rules as you get an idea of where the writer is coming from. Neil Thomas is very good at setting his stall out in this regard.
  • There is a page of FAQs and some Examples, again all useful. As they say, they can't cover every conceivable situation in 4 pages of rules, so feel free to come up with house rules where required. It is only a game after all. There is also a link to their website where you can find a free pdf for some optional and advanced rules that didn't make the cut. Again all good to have.
  • There are 3 sets of QRS sheets for some reason, which I think is simply down to them combining the rules and scenarios into one book.
  • Then there are 13 very detailed scenarios of all the major actions of the American War of Independence. Whilst these naturally are designed for these rules, they could easily be tweaked for other rulesets should you so wish.
  • The only down side with the rules is that you do need an awful lot of bases to play these scenarios. Monmouth for example requires the British to have 99 bases, the Americans 79. I for one certainly don't have anything approaching this, even with my mdf figures. So either some bathtubbing is required, or you play a portion of the scenario or simply use the rules for scenarios from the likes of Messrs Grant & Asquith.
  • Aside from the AWI, I can see these rules working perfectly well from the French & Indian Wars through to the War of 1812. In fact the latest Miniature Wargaming magazine is doing something along these lines with the War of 1812.


So there we have it. In short I'm very happy with these rules and am glad I decided to buy them, plus in some small way I've helped towards preserving thos wonderful American battlefields that we've often 'fought over' on the games table. I'm looking forward to giving these a run out in due course, hopefully FtF in May, with a fair wind.

Until next time, stay safe and keep healthy.

21 comments:

  1. Excellent! Thanks for your overview. I await your verdict after playing a game or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Jon. I imagine that if you're happy with LF&AS, there would be little incentive to change to these rules.

      Delete
  2. Three posts in only a couple of days Steve? You’re really “cooking with gas” as they say. Maybe I’m showing my age there ;)

    The “latest Miniature Wargaming magazine is doing something along these lines with the War of 1812” you say? Hmmm - I suspect I need to investigate further. As I mentioned in my comment to your “Spring Has Sprung” post of 5 April, at the moment I’m sorely tempted by the War of 1812, possibly using Commission Figurines MDF figures. If only they made something suitable to represent Native American warriors…

    If the rules/scenarios require a lot of bases then, as you suggest, not everyone will have “enough troops”.
    Would you rather have 200 bases for one particular period/war/campaign?
    Or, would you rather be able to game, say, 5 different wars/campaigns but with only 40 bases for each?
    I’m a wargaming butterfly (attracted by new & different things, till the next shiny new one comes along) so I’m very much in the latter category.

    Take care & keep safe,

    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certainly 'cooking on gas' Geoff! We must be of a certain age for sure;).

      Check out the following Geoff:

      https://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/topic/miniature-wargames-469/

      As for the Native Americans, you could simply use standard 6mm skirmishers, which wouldn't look too bad in loose formations compared to the rank and file line troops. My gaming chum has mixed mdf troops in with Baccus, H&R etc and when on the table, you don't really notice the difference. An alternative might be too look at something from their ACW range or possible even the Roman one.

      In an ideal World, I'd have specific Armies for each period I'd want to game. Sadly, space, time and finances preclude this from even being a viable approach. These days I'm quite happy to have generic 18thC & 19thC Armies that I can use across a broad period. My mdf troops are a case in point.

      I'm certainly a wargames butterfly too, but latterly have been trying to limit my flapping around, by going down the Imagi-Nations route as outlined above.

      Delete
  3. Nice review Steve. Like you spiral bound works. Plus, I really appreciate having designers notes to understand their rationale for the systems they use. May not agree with their interpretation of history, but can at least understand how they decide on their rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. I too may not entirely agree with interpretation etc, but at least I can understand where they're coming from. I wish more designers did this with their rules.

      Delete
    2. Designer’s Notes are a must have for me. They provide insight into the game engine as designed and implemented.

      Delete
  4. I’m very keen on LF&AS. They work well as a solo game too. So I’d be interested in your thoughts after you’ve play tested LFoD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the process of setting up a trial game to get a feel of game play. Nothing too large, too complicated and on a 4' x 4' table. I think the main issue will be allocating the command points 'fairly', but this remains to be seen.

      Delete
  5. Sound like a good set of rules, like Richard said, I do like designer notes, they just help you understand what you don't understand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do sound good to me Ray and I think we all agree that designer notes are a good thing.

      Delete
  6. Nice to see you seem to have got your blogging mojo back there Steve! I have to confess, I probably do have close to one hundred bases of British AWI troops in 25/28mm....one of my larger collections....in our basing protocols, that would equate to around 18 battalions of 6 bases per battalion....I am pretty sure I have around those numbers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith:). I would put up some more posts, but my computer needs upgrading due to Windows never ending and increasingly large updates. This means it keeps crashing:(.

      Wow, that is a lot of figures and by the sound of it, you could certainly play most of the scenarios as written, but you would need a very large table I imagine.

      Delete
  7. Interested to see how they play out on the table 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look good but the proof of the pudding and all that...

      Delete
  8. Nice post Steve, as you say seems like a lot of bases but there are some good reviews, I await your first game play.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu and as you say, they've had plenty of positive reviews so far. Hopefully the first game may not be too far away.

      Delete
  9. LF&AS brings back good memories from many years ago and an updated version should be good, so I will keep an eye out for your playtest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to get something onto the table this week. The LF&AS look good so I have high hopes for these.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the heads up on these, and look forward to your playing them out on the table. AMR is probably an eventual project (likely post retirement) to satisfy a bit of tricone urge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope you get to scratch that tricorne itch soon. The SYW certainly does it for me, but I do like some AWI now and then. Of course there is also the Imagi-Nations route:).

      Delete