Wednesday 27 January 2021

Scratch Built Aircraft Hangar - Part 2

A quick update on where I'm at with my fun scratch build project. Slightly behind schedule due a variety of reasons, mainly caused by my butterfly nature causing me to flit from project-to-project! The captions should give you an idea of how things stand.

 
I wasn't sure about adding windows to the main structure, but after mulling things over I went down this route and glad I did. There was a good suggestion on the Pendraken forum to add a chimney at the back to represent the stove inside to heat the building, but I was too far down the route to risk drilling a hole at this point. Maybe I will on the next one as I think it would look good.

After adding basing grit to the relevant areas, everything was primed grey and then given a matt black top coat. The edges were finished in my normal basing colours and as you can see, I did decided to go with a concrete stand at the front, purely because I thought it would look better than just plain grass.

I had intended to drybrush the base camouflage colours to add highlights, but the natural shape achieves this on its own, so I decided to leave the colours as they are. I hadn't intended the dark brown to be this dark due to the drybrush approach, but I think it works better than the lighter brown I had intended it to be.

I toyed with the idea of adding a light stone pattern alongside the green and brown, to make the whole structure pop a bit more, but in the end left things fairly basic to represent a more UK camouflage scheme. I did add black lines between the colours to make the pattern appear more crisp. The windows were simply achieved by 'trompe l'oeil' which was very quick and easy to achieve. The frames were deliberately made lighter to make them stand out, as otherwise the whole would look a tad dull.
 
So next up is to add flock and foliage to the base so that it fits in with my other terrain and I'm not too happy with the look of the concrete, but will look at it with fresh eyes in the morning. The scenario and campaign is all sorted for this piece to make its debut and I hope to get the first game in tomorrow. So until then, stay safe...

 

20 comments:

  1. Coming along nicely, Steve! I like the paint signs and Windows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan:). I'm happy with the way the windows turned out.

      Delete
  2. What a fab piece, everything looks just right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. Very imaginative, and looks spot on. The stove chimney wouldn’t make much difference imho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! The next one I might add a chimney to it just to see if I like it or not.

      Delete
  4. This is a great use of half a baked bean tin Steve - what are you going to do with the other half!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith! I plan to make another and probably in a different camo scheme, for use in Europe, rather than the UK. I wanted to get one finished first so as not to get too distracted, which I'm rather prone to.

      Delete
    2. They look even better now.
      I did try with the bean cans after seeing your post.
      Making Anderson Shelters for a row of houses (I’ve taken the plaster off my thumb now).
      One side of the road hang buried in a hillside but this means that a simple 6’x4’ table is going to have a 3’ long hill on half the length of the table (the house I lived in during and just after the war) so I’m very tempted to do it as a flat area and put them on hardboard bases and find more use for them as Nissan huts for
      15 to 20mm figures.

      Delete
    3. Thankyou and I'm glad my post inspired you to have a go, but sorry about the thumb! With different doors then the same model will work across a variety of scales as you rightly point out.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful stuff Steve, a great addition and nice to see the step by step progress.
    Regards
    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu and glad you enjoyed the step-by-step pics.

      Delete
  6. Funky! Anyone would think you were a professional...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought that the finished product would look good, but this is even better than I envisaged!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking scratch build! Lovely finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Iain and am glad you like the finish:).

      Delete