Sunday 17 January 2021

Scratch Built Aircraft Hangar - Part 1

After my recent AVBCW battle set in the Bristol 'bocage', one of the Pendraken forum members made the comment that the 'Bristol Bocage' sounded like a great name for one of those slightly whacky British Inter-War designs. This got the old grey cells working and so I have plans afoot, subject to the delivery of a plane kit, to make a 'Bristol Bocage' for use in a forthcoming AVBCW campaign. The ideas for both the plane and the campaign are broadly fleshed out, but I thought it would be good to model an aerodrome or aircraft hangar for the final scenario.

I wanted something easy to make but fun also, and whilst doing the washing up (I hate dish washers!) I thought half of a tinned can would make a perfect basic shape for the hangar. So a few days later off into the garage I went to saw the tin in half with a hacksaw and knock up a base. the results can be seen below:

 
The mdf base is 8" x 4", with the tin can 3" in diameter. I used tinned tomato can as this had the simplest shape without any added curves at the base or top. The can when cut loses its shape a bit, so I added strips along the sides and back to help keep it in shape, whilst I glued it in position with Araldite. The hangar door is made from 1.0mm ABS sheet, with a strip along the top to represent the rail to allow the doors to open. I have also scored in lines to represent the door panels. The plane in the foreground is a Pendraken FE2B to give an idea of scale.

A view from the rear.

I added fine surface Polyfilla along the sides and back to hide the support strips. I'm not sure whether to add some windows half way up or not and will mull this over tonight. Again I'm not sure whether to have just grass in front of the doors of some concrete slabs, but I'm favouring the latter at present.

I hope this small post has been of some interest to you and I'm certainly enjoying the whole scratch building process. Much more enjoyable than making models for clients to ridiculous deadlines, as I only have myself to please! More updates to follow in due course over the next few days, all being well. So until next time stay safe!

12 comments:

  1. Now that is a good idea. You managed to cut it much more neatly than I would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! Well my former job was as a modelmaker, so I'm pretty used to making this sort of stuff. Not the easiest thing to cut for usre and a Dremel helped with cutting the base, so as not to distort the main body.

      Delete
  2. ½ tin can ..... inspired idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. Just one of those light bulb moments when I was washing the dishes and so far it has worked out well...

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea! The corrugates in the tin can perfectly resemble corrugated metal. I have seen many of these types of pre-fab steel quonset hut structures built in exactly this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. Nissen huts, Quonset huts etc all look very similar and are versatile structures for the wargames table.

      Delete
  4. Nice work on this terrain piece Steve - what scale is the plane - 10mm??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. The plane is 10mm or 1/150th scale. WWII planes are too big when put next to it, but as I generally use 6mm buildings, it should fit in nicely.

      Delete
  5. A clever use of a tin can for a hanger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I've seen them used for water towers, storage tanks etc but never hangars, probably because they're quite difficult to cut open.

      Delete
  6. As others have said; brilliant and inspired!
    Can't wait to see the finished product.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou James! I hope to post an update soon.

      Delete