Thursday 14 January 2021

Bumping into the Enemy

A very wet and dreary day saw another trial game of Pike & Shotte grace my table, again with the aim to give the rules a good run out and to gain familiarity. This time I added some basic terrain and went to a very simple advance to contact type scenario, with both side bumping into each other from their line of march. So nothing fancy at all, but I did add in Dragoons to the mix and classed the Blue Cavalry as French Guard, just to see how they played.

Deployment
Both sides Dragoons started on the table, with all other units off table and in their respective positions in the line of march.
 
An overview of the table, with some hedges and the ploughed fields and corn classed as rough terrain. The woods could only be entered by the Dragoons.

The off table units and general gaming detritus in a very useful area for this sort of stuff.
 
Opening Moves
The Blue force won the Initiative and moved first, with both sides being rather slow and steady in their approach, with both sides relying upon some free moves to get going. The Blue Dragoons moved onto the hill and opened up on their Red counterparts, but the Red shooting was markedly superior, causing one Dragoon unit to be come Shaken.

The end of Turn 2 and both sides still struggling to get onto the table and shake out into line.

The Dragoons start a firefight with the Red Dragoons gaining the initial upper hand.
 
Mid Game
Both sides managed to form into line, with Red doing so earlier than Blue that gave them an advantage as they managed to get some shots in first, which led to a Blue Infantry unit breaking. Both sides cavalry moved round to the flank, with the Blue Guards closing in on the Red Dragoons, but the Red Cavalry came to their rescue. In the cavalry clash in the ploughed field on the Red left flank, the Blue Guards got the upper hand, but then after a sweeping advance on the retreating Red Cavalry, one Blue Guards unit failed their Break Test and fled!

The end of Turn 4 and both sides have formed line and the cavalry face each other across the ploughed field.

The Red Infantry break the Blue Infantry on the road and the Blue Dragoons are still suffering withering fire, but hold on.

The end of Turn 5 and the Red force is in a slightly better position than that of Blue.

The Red right flank is coming under intense fire from Blue, but poor shooting and good morale saves sees them hold their position.

The aftermath of the Cavalry clash, with both sides having retreated to lick their wounds, but the Blue Guards being one unit short.
 
End Game
Both sides rally some units and the Red force advances in places as the Blue Dragoons come down off the hill to try and snatch victory. However it was not to be as the Red force stopped the Blue Dragoons in their tracks and also broke another Blue Infantry unit. With losses mounting the Blue force wisely quit the field of battle.

The end of the game.

The Red left flank is secure and the Blue Dragoons have taken more intense fire which has stopped them dead.

Combined shooting sees another Blue Infantry unit break, leading to the Blue force leaving the battlefield.

 
 
Post Game Thoughts
For a very quick spur of the moment game, I thought it worked well and again helped me understand the rules better, which of course was the aim. So as always some thoughts on the game and the rules etc:
 
  • I completely forgot to use the 'First Fire' rule, even though I had made a note of it! It was only half way into the game that I remembered it so left things as they were. Must do better next time...
  • Movement is much slower in this game than BPII, leading to units slowly entering the battlefield and deploying, but this felt right for the period. No massive Napoleonic sweeping cavalry charges here! I did enjoy this and you do have to plan your movements more carefully as it takes time for them to be able to get into place.
  • Having some terrain was nice, not only from a visual point of view, but also from the effect it had upon the game. Rough Terrain really does make a difference, not only as it does slow units down to one move only by and large, but it also can disrupt units with pikes, as happened in this game. I don't think I would want much more terrain and this as it would affect the game too much I fear. I would only add more stuff for decoration to improve the visual aspect of the table.
  • The Dragoons worked well and brought a nice touch to the game, but need to read their rules again to make sure I played them correctly.
  • The Blue Guard Cavalry certainly can be devastating but as in this game, there is always the chance that the Die Gods will favour the other side! They're nice to have but as Barry Hilton mentions in the rules, you don't want too many Guard units as otherwise it can have too big an impact on the game.
  • After two games I'm very happy with the rules but need to have a good re-read and make sure I've been doing this correctly and haven't missed anything. But first I'm going to take a break from these rules so I can come back to them 'fresh' as it were. 
  • I also want to do some reading up on the period and so have dug out my copies of Chandler's 'The Art of Warfare in the Age of Marlborough' and CS Grant's 'From Pike to Shot 1685-1720'. Hopefully these will provide a good refresher as my knowledge is more towards either the ECW or the SYW.
 
Just before this game I had a flick through of the 'Baroque' ruleset and although they apparently give an excellent game and reflect the period well, I had a headache after reading them! Sadly they are not for me but they have helped clarify what sort of game I want to play, which is the important thing.
 
So what next? Well the painting muse has returned which is nice, as after searching through my lead mountain, I came across my nearly finished AWI/Imagi-Nations figures and also a British SYW force that I forgot that I had assembled and primed just before my 'retirement'! My aim is to finish of the few units required for the AWI force and then re-flag them, then move onto the SYW British. Both sides will broadly have a core of 12 units with some additional ones which can be fielded as needed. Like many gamers, I find about 12 units per side gives a very good mid-week game for the solo players and can be completed in a reasonable time, which given family pressure is good.

Alongside this I have an HoW game all ready to set up and a planned AVBCW mini-campaign to play that has the bare bones set out. I need to make some scenery for this and have ordered some stuff that will be useful for the final game, but all will be revealed in good time! So until next time stay safe...

16 comments:

  1. A nicely framed (by terrain) action to get more comfortable with the rules. In these rules, are the dragoons best left mounted or used dismounted amongst terrain features?

    Sounds like you have a goodly list to keep you busy in the coming weeks :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm:). As I see it, they are best used in terrain, to given them some defensive edge if possible. They can get a free dismount at the end of a move, so are rather good mobile light infantry. I need to have a good read of their rules as I may have got the above completely wrong!

      Delete
  2. Hello there Steve J,

    A brisk little action (I like those!) and the use of the Dragoons ‘felt’ right. I am quite intrigued by the rules now so they will be on my ‘to get’ list - another alternative for the WoFun figures perhaps!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David and I too am preferring smaller, quicker actions these days. A dedicated games room means these fit in nicely with the useful family demands upon space etc.

      As mentioned in my recent posts, having a core games engine spread across a wide period is really working for me at present. In your case you could use Black Powder II for land actions to go with your ships, and P&S for your Wofun figures.

      Delete
  3. I am enjoying your P&S experimentations. Before throwing out Baroque as undecipherable, give Basic Baroque a try. Only a few pages of rules and represents a very playable, stripped down version of Baroque. BB provides a good game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your enjoying my trial games Jonathan. A good tip to try Basic Baroque to see how the game plays:)

      Delete
  4. A simple but elegant game, I wonder if I am too obsessed with figures sometimes to miss the opportunity of simple tactical and strategic games, I will ponder this further 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt and am glad that this has given you food for thought. I used to love painting miniatures, as gaming time was very limited or non-existent when the kids were young. Over the past few years the game has become the main thing for me, but I still do enjoy the painting, but it is a means to an end rather than the end itself.

      Delete
  5. I am enjoying reading your battle reports and after thoughts on the rules as you work your way into wargaming the pike and musket era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter and I'm enjoying re-acquainting myself with this period, particularly the latter part of the 17thC.

      Delete
  6. I agree with the other commentators Steve - what you are doing here is a very good way to get to know the rules - I have to draw a line at your feelings around painting figures v's gaming though - I really would not get very much out of the hobby without the figures - thats why I am not very interested in board games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith:). I game with figures when I can, such as WWII and a period I would never game with wooden blocks! I think having spent some 30+ years making models day in, day out as a job, my focus on games versus painting is a reaction to this.

      Delete
  7. Very nice Steve, good to see you getting another play test in.
    Best wishes
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu. The wet weather has contributed to my increased gaming activity and I'm enjoying the playtesting:)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing the write up of a simple but fun scenario!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and the scenario would work across quite a broad period I think.

      Delete