Saturday 26 August 2023

Wargaming The Eastern Front

When I returned to historical wargaming some 20 years or so ago, one of the first forces I had was a 15mm WWII Soviet force for BKCII. Whilst I enjoyed the games, I actually knew little about Soviet doctrine and how it developed over the course of the war. Still this didn't stop me playing and at the time my only resource was the FoW Soviet supplement and Zaloga's Osprey book used for info on uniform colours. With the move into 10mm this force was sold on and at some point a replacement one was bought from Pendraken, only to languish like so many of my projects in the bag it arrived in!

Despite not having a force to game with, over the years I bought books on the Eastern Front covering the usual suspects of Barbarossa, Bagration and the Fall of Berlin. All fascinating but again not really covering Soviet doctrine aside from general points in the text. Now one of the joys of our hobby IMHO is the research part of it, which I'm sure many of you will agree with. So with a project in the pipeline (more of which another time) I went in search of a good overall view of Soviet doctrine. 

Of course I knew anything by Zaloga and Glantz would be excellent, already having the brilliant 'Companion to the Red Army' by Zaloga and Ness. Whilst this is a superb resource, it is hard to place the OOB and changes within the wider conflict on the Eastern Front through out the War. After a bit of Google searching I came across 'When Titan's Clashed' by Glantz & House, which had good reviews and looked to be the sort of book I was after and was duly ordered.


A good starting point.

Lots of detail but hard to put it into context. Essential reading though.

Another simply essential book.

 
The book arrived pretty quickly and after a quick flick through I started reading it and was thoroughly impressed and it was everything I hoped it would be! Why? Well it answered many questions I had such as:
  • Why was the Soviet C&C so bad at the start of the War. Well we all know of the Purges and the effect that had on the command structure, but it adds more flesh to the bones, such as newly graduated Majors being put in charge of Divisions, no real staff structure at any level really above Battalions and so on. This lasted well into 1943 and sometimes beyond, but as the War progressed, you can see how the C&C was massively improved and how it worked.
  • Why was the Soviet Artillery arm so centralised above Divisional level? Again it came down to a simple lack of experienced staff and it was easier for C&C to keep them under a more centralised control for much of the War, only giving some flexibility towards 1944 onwards.
  • Despite the huge manpower reserves that the Soviet Union could call upon, as the War progressed, they faced exactly the same issues as the British and the Germans, with a limited pool of reserves to call upon. So by 1944, they had understrength units that were a mix of veterans and new recruits, so with very variable combat quality. Right until the end of the War Soviet units were suffering 50% losses and higher in nearly all attacks.
  • The book does show theoretical OOB versus the reality due to the above, with Divisions at 50% - 30% nominal strength levels. Tank units suffered especially high attrition rates too.
  • It gives a good overview of Soviet offensive doctrine, which I found very useful, with the Infantry supported by Tanks and Artillery making the breakthrough, then Mechanised or Tank Corps exploiting the breaches made, with Cavalry Corps protecting the flanks. All new to me for sure!

So in wargaming terms I've learnt an awful lot from this book already and still haven't finished it, with plenty of info that I can take forward for the 'project and for future games too. Alongside this I've also been reading the following book:





Now I've got loads of books on the campaign for NWE, so I wasn't expecting to learn much from this book that I hadn't already read about in one way or another. Well I was wrong and pleasantly so. There are plenty of snippets of info in it that I hadn't come across before or that expanded on bits I did know about. A few examples below:
  • The Sherman's rate of fire gave it a significant advantage over the Germans and the tactic of fire first and keep firing paid dividends. The sheer volume of fire, even if it didn't cause penetrations, often broke the glass on the vision ports, effectively blinding the crew and forcing them to bail out.
  • We all know about the issues of C&C and navigation in Normandy and especially the Bocage, but there is one great example of a Battalion commander who simply could not locate his infantry companies for hours and had to rely upon the tanks to help him. In another radio issues meant that one tank troop continued to advance and so lost contact with the rest of the Squadron, became isolated and only by luck managed to restablish contact after coming under fire.

I thought those above examples reflect rather nicely the C&C that BKCII can bring to a game, where things don't always go as planned, or where units wander off or retreat due to a command blunder, which I know not all gamers appreciate, but it works well for me, especially in solo games.

I feel that 'When Titan's Clashed' is an essential book to buy for any one interested in wargaming the Eastern Front. I'm sure I will continue to refer to this for many years to come for my wargames or when planning a campaign.

TTFN.

21 comments:

  1. Enjoyed hearing about the Sherwood Rangers from James Holland on his podcast. I remember him talking about firing first and firing fast. The other point I remember about it was that it could be quite discombobulating for the German crew and it gave time to bring up the Firefly or AT guns that had the firepower to kill the big cat. Can’t have been pleasant.
    Chris/Nundanket
    PS are you going to paint the contents of that bag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His writing style and bringing together various accounts in one place does give you an idea of how the actions happened and how unpleasant it certainly was for all involved. You've lost me I'm afraid on painting the contents of a bag!

      Delete
    2. I meant this bit “ at some point a replacement one was bought from Pendraken, only to languish like so many of my projects in the bag it arrived in!” 😆
      Chris

      Delete
    3. Ah, I see what you meant now! I based said contents during lockdown and recently drybrushed the bases and figures ready for painting later on in the year. I need to clear my 18thC Indian forces first!

      Delete
  2. Some great looking books there Steve - I too have a pretty large 15mm Soviet force but don't know a great deal about how they operated in reality - in the odd game they have sneaked into, it's mainly been wall to wall armour and lots of artillery support! I have been considering a small 15mm affair as a solo game today, so perhaps the Russians will get a run out rather than the Brits......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whilst this book is often very much at the operational level, with corps, armies, fronts etc being talked about, it does give enough detail on how attacks were meant to work, which is what I was after. So for example around Operation Bagration, one attack went in on a 1km front with 4-6 battalions, 18 tanks and around 200 pieces of supporting artillery. In games terms for BKCII, where a table represents 2km, that's at least 36 infantry bases (excluding support units), 9 tanks and over 40 artillery units!!! Whilst historical it would not make for an interesting game I would venture...

      Delete
    2. The challenge of "realistic" recreation v a viable gaming experience is always a problem but the more so in WWII I think Steve. We often have " the Allies" complaining that they should have more artillery support and almost endless air power in 1944/45 games....but then, who would want to play the Germans?!

      Delete
    3. Balance is certainly a challenge for sure Keith and one reason that I tend to go for mini-campaigns where possible for WWII, so you can even things out over say 3-5 games.

      Delete
  3. “When Titans Clashed” has been recommended before. By you, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a new book to me Jon, so I don't think it was me. Highly recommended though.

      Delete
  4. I have the Brothers in Arms awaiting to be read on the book shelf, I bought it purely for scenario generation and for the ‘real life’ accounts to bring some correct ‘feel’ into my own rules. The book looks very good.

    As a younger game, I recall my go to books for the east front were based on what the library had and I was therefore exposed to Scorched Earth by Paul Carrell and the two John Erickson titles The Road to Stalingrad and The Road to Berlin, which appear to have something of classic status.

    I have a tactical game (boardgame) on the table now, it is summer 1944, east front and the forces are fairly equal in capability, with both sharing the same morale level, which the system uses to underpin other mechanics. Also the kit is quite similar in that both sides can dish out a great deal of harm from their gun tubes. These battles do not see easy games being handed to the German player.

    In a similar situation in 1941, such a scenario would see greater variety in morale levels, favouring the Germans and allowing them to broadly get the better of their adversary. Though interestingly, the Soviets had some better tanks, which did cause the Germans problems, who prevailed with their deployment tactics and radio coms to keep the upper hand.

    It is an interesting theatre to game because of the shifting relationships between the capabilities of the adversaries between 1941 and 1945 and the impact of the seasons, which the battles of Napoleon foretold.

    I will do some Kindle research for ‘When Titans Clashed’.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erickson's books get a mention as being classics for this theatre, so may be purchased in the future. The theatre does offer a lot to the gamer, which I feel we often neglect in favour of NWE. This book has certainly opened my eyes to plenty of possibilities for future narrative type campaigns or more historical based actions. I look forward to seeing how your boardgames pan out over this BH weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. TBH Steve I find the eastern front much more interesting from a gaming point of view. You often discover events that sound so, so, so improbable actually happened - I suppose, in part, simply just because it was a conflict that went of for years, in a relatively wide geographical area and involving potentially millions of troops.
    Fights could be any thing from a very small skirmish with just a few soldiers to huge, huge battles involving entire armies.
    In addition, my relatives fought in NWE and I don’t want to risk “casualties” among the British toys. The eastern front? N@zi Germans vs communist Russkis - no-one there can claim the moral high-ground. For me it was very much a case of “which set of b@5tards are the most evil?”.
    Anyhow, you can rarely go wrong with books. The Glantz books in particular are full, full, full of the sort of information wargamers like/need.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying learning more about the overall conflict Geoff, that's for sure. As you say, lots of variety of actions to game, ditto terrain that was fought over. Given what I've read, I'm going to add some cavalry to my force for those combined Cavalry Mechanised Brigades that saw a lot of action, especially in Belorussia. A bit of project creep but I'm quite happy with that;)!

      Delete
  7. nice finds. I'm totally on board with the research and deep diving into history is part of the fun. I also branch into historical fiction. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Historical fiction is always useful for ideas for scenarios. Of course, some authors are more clued up about the historical & technical aspects. If, say, an author described German “Tiger tanks” advancing to Dunkirk in May ‘40 then I think this would cause almost all wargamers to give a sharp intake of breath and a shaking of the head.
      Cheers,
      Geoff 😉

      Delete
    2. I think many of us enjoy the research part Stew. Good to see you too do! Historical fiction I've never considered and it's been a long time since I've read any. As Geoff has said, making sure it's plausible is a given!

      Delete
  8. I learnt to read with Purnells history of ww2 which covers a lot of the Eastern front, doing Eastern front in 28mm I don't worry about higher command and control but always good to know, I've got James Holland Sicily 43 looks good Anthony Beevors Stalingrad is an excellent read I think.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaming with BKCII with a stand representing a Platoon, then higher level C&C is naturally of more interest to me than when I played 28mm skirmish games. Holland and Beevor's books are excellent. I have other by both authors and all are good reads.

      Delete
  9. Titan's clashed is a great read, managed to pick up a second hand copy in Devon when on holiday, my wife loved it ;-)
    As you can imagine it was perfect for beach reading....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've picked up some bargains whilst on holiday:). In 1976 (I think) I took 'A Bridge Too Far' on holiday with my family and spent most of the time with my nose stuck in the book. To say my Dad was less than impressed would be an understatment!

      Delete