Sunday 6 August 2023

IPMS Avon Show

Today my back played ball and although a tad tender, I was able to make the drive to the local IPMS Show. Knowing parking can be an issue as it gets very busy, I arrived an hour before the doors opened and managed to get inside to drops some books off at the bring and buy stall. As short while later they allowed early entry and so by 9.00am I was inside.

The venue is spread across 3 large sports halls, so I spent the first hour or so just having a good wander, to get my bearings and to see what is on display, which is an awful lot I can tell you! Rather like a visit to a museum, it's hard to take it all in to be honest. Some bits I skipped (modern aircraft and  modern AFV's of little interest, ditto Sci-Fi), but even then I only really skimmed all the models on offer.

The flyer our son brought home some months ago, purely becuase of the Daleks I think, but handy for sure to remind me of the date, so I didn't double book myself.

As with wargames shows, you bump into plenty of people you know, which is part and parcel of the fun of attending. So after a good chat with an old friend and colleague, it was time to wander round with the camera. Some photos (and be warned there are plenty of them!) aren't as clear and crisp as I would like as it was hard to not get in the way of other punters when taking the shots. I hope you enjoy them and I've annotated some where appropriate. 

The Models


A beautiful model with wonderful rigging and I was drawn to it by the 'turret's along the hull.


A favourite WWI plane that I had a 1/72nd model of IIRC.

One of the many mad German ideas of WWII, this one for a mine clearing tank. There were several of these on display and in different scales.



This German train was damned big and I loved the simple camo scheme.

You can't beat a bit of Dad's Army and this displayed in the tin was a real eye catcher.


Plenty of wonderful dioramas from this club that takes me back to the 1970's Tamiya magazine articles/adverts for Verlinden, which seem crude by comparison to today's offerings.




Two of my favourite WWII German aircraft and there is something lovely about the yellow engine cowling on the Bf-109.


Sheep stop play!



Hard to get good shots of these and the following displays, as it was understandably popular and all looked superb! Not sure what scale they are but the attention to detail is superb.




On all of them the water was brilliantly done and very natural looking too.


That's one big and powerful truck.


Tante Ju, another favourite German plane.


One of many, many wonderful displays of aircraft, possibly 1/72nd?

1/35th figures or thereabouts?

I loved this RCW diorama.

French & Indian Wars? Again large figures and superb terrain too.

The iconic Spitfires.

A nice Vietnam diorama.

A nice mix of ships once again.

I loved the mix of vehicles and camo schemes here.

The dazzle camo on the turrets and superstructure caught my eye.


No diea of scale but these were BIG figures.

In contrast a sample of the many 1/72nd AFV's on display.

Possibly my favourite display as not only do I love the humour, but I had this kit as a child. In fact all the local schools were invited to put on displays in 1975 at Churchill College, Cambridge, to commemorate the 30th Anniversary of the end of WWII in Europe. I used this kit on a sand table and can remember being driven to the college. I also had the radio operator in the background, which I had completely forgotten about.

Classic Tamiya kit and figures IIRC.



A nice mix of WWI aircraft.

This just reminded me of my Dad making the Airfix Yorktown model back in the 1970's.




Presumably a matchbox kit? It completely appealed to me and am tempted to make one for my AVBCW forces!


The Crusader a perennial favourite ever since having an Airfix kit as a kid.

Another diorama that had very effective water, a bit of a theme this year or maybe I just noticed it?


More sensible mine clearing tanks than the earlier German one?


3D printed models I believe, certainly for the first US tank in the background.

Where it all started and a popular stop for many between the halls.

A really dynamic diorama!



A non-military display, very nicely done.

A model from the film.

The sort of display you would fancy having a game on.

Silver planes and float planes to boot: what's not to like?

More joy.

A very large display, with 28mm figures or possibly 1/32nd. So much going on it was hard to take it all in talk less of getting good photos. Again a popular display with lots of people having a gander.





A good mix of models.

6mm figures and vehicles, set in Stonehenge IIRC.

Inter-War aircraft.

A very, very large Stratofortress. I did wonder how does this get transported, talk less of stored. Hard to display in the house as it would need a large dining table at the very least.

Every mark of Churchill tank.



British Light Tanks. Useless by so charming.



Simply done but very effective and not too OTT.




Parachute Regiment in North Africa.

A simple and very effective way to display and transport your models.





Rather unusual by really nicely done.



Daleks to keep my son happy!



The Games

15mm Napoleonics.


ACW riverine action. Possibly Hammerin' Iron rules by Peter Pig.

Lovely models.


France 1940.



Warhammer 40K.



What A Tanker! type game?


Nice aircraft but never saw the game actually being played.

Somewhere in the Far East.

SAGA type skirmish game?

The competition games around lunchtime. MeG rules? 


At least these table appeared to be enjoying themselves.


The Loot

A nice model from Blotz that will be used for my 18thC India games. Great value at only £5.00 and I intend to add more detail and possibly another storey to it too.

A great range of brushes and good to see them in the flesh. Outstanding value to get 18 brushes for £15.00 and should keep me going for detailed painting for a few years at least.


Post Show Thoughts
Well done if you've made it this far! I really enjoyed the show and spent a good 3 hours just taking it all in. Honestly you could spend all day there as there is so much to see and I'm glad I took my time, rather than the quick dash of previous years. So a few thoughts:
  • It is a great venue as there is plenty of space once inside, but you do need to take sometime to start with just to have a quick wander around to orientate yourself. One of the rooms was not as well lit as the others (indoors bowls?) but a minor quibble.
  • The quality of the models on display is outstanding, as one would expect from an IPMS show. I saw a good range of scales, periods, AFV's, planes and cars too. Some Sci-Fi as well so something for everyone.
  • It was busy at the start but by Midday it had quietened down so it was easier to get a good look at the models, which would have made taking photos a lot easier.
  • The wargames on show were patchy and some very poor if I'm brutally honest. I'm not a fan of clutter on the table to say the least, but most had drinks cans on there and other detritus, which made it tricky to get any nice photos without the offending materiel in view. Most game had little or no info and on-one to have a chat with about the game being played.
  • Not many games were ready to go from the off, with some still being set up when I left. Now I know this is mainly a model show, but still, it's not good form to be late to the party!
  • I did like the ACW Riverine game and, along with the ship models on display, has piqued an interest in some form of naval gaming at some point in the future. Some research to be done for sure but more on that in another post I'm sure!
  • It was lovely actually to have some quality 'me time' as we call it these days, something that is very rare, but very precious. Catching up with some friends was a nice treat too and as an exhibitor remarked, only about a month until Colours!

Right, that's more than enough me-thinks and hope you enjoyed the photos! Back to painting tomorrow and touch wood the back is slowly getting better.

TTFN.

33 comments:

  1. At least you had a good time Steve - and your back wasn’t overly problematic. Wow - you sure took a lot of photos. From what I can see the models were very impressive. Sure, not all to my “taste”, but well constructed, painted and based. Like most hobbies, it’s very much a case of horses for courses. An awful lot of skill went into the models and I suspect there would doubtless be significant sense of achievement for the modellers. Well done all 👏👏
    I agree the ACW naval game looked good, but a tad “busy” for my taste. Then again, I’m looking to play solo and I suppose a “big table game” with a fair number of players does require a fair number of ships too.
    Anything good on the bring & buy?
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a great time and the back brace stopped me aching, which was nice. Glad to be able to take it off once I got home though! I was sure surprised that I had taken over 100 photos, I can tell you. It took me a long time to process them and then upload them and write the reoprt. Nice to be able to look back upon it though in years to come.

      One club did nothing my Mig fighters, which leave me cold but did look superb. Ditto other clubs, so as mentioned, there seemed to be something for everyone. It would have been nice to have seen some more Soviet and Italian WWII tanks, which were noticeable by their absence, especially the latter. I dread to think how much time goes into some of those models, talk less of the dioramas. I certianly don't have the patience or focus for something on this level.

      I few ships would tick the boxes for me too, but need to try some games first with counters before buying some models, but the spark has been lit for sure! Nothing on the B'n'B, just the usual old models, figures etc in scales not many people play. None of my books sold but at least I tried. Not sure if they will be will give it a few more goes before they might head off to a second hand shop...

      Delete
    2. Hmmmmm… Second-hand bookshops are another of my loves 😉
      Cheers,
      Geoff

      Delete
  2. Wow! Quite a model show, Steve. The craftmanship on display in these dioramas is astonishing. Great to see you out for the day. Thanks for all of the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your back is on the mend soon.

      Delete
    2. It is a great model show for sure, but not the biggest, which is at Telford IIRC. The craftsmanship is great and even though they are models kits, there is still a lot of skill to assemble and paint them to this level. Glad you managed to wade through the photos too!

      Delete
    3. There are many dioramas to which I will return for a second look. The landing craft under air attack in the Pacific is amazing.

      Delete
    4. The back is heading in the right direction thankfully Jon. The air attack is incredible and stops you in your tracks when you first see it. Lots of stuff in display has plenty of levels of interest and sadly only time for a brief look at some of the models and dioramas.

      Delete
  3. Very impressive models and dioramas, the hours spent on them to achieve the finish they've got must be immense! The LCT is great but you can't go wrong with an armoured train! Glad your back made it through and those brushes are the kind I was talking about, I hope they work out well for you!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iain, do wonder how long some of these take to make and the dedication required to see them through to the end. Seeing the brushes in the flesh really helped as I could find the sizes that I needed, something that is not easy when looking on the web. I'm sure they will do the job and hopefully they will get a run out today...

      Delete
  4. Thanks Steve, the ton of pictures and the eye candy is hugely appreciated an will get a return visit.

    I was very tempted a few weeks ago to pick up a 1/35 kit to do a diorama …. But where do you put it? …… and the next one ! 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them Norm and I may take another gander today if I have a spare minute or two. A few kits did tempt me, mainly for nostalgias sake, but as you say, where would you store them or even display them. The Stratofortress being a case in point, whose wingspan must have been over 4' wide!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for posting the photos of the Show Steve- a huge variety of exhibits and games - we've nothing like it here- so well appreciated. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Kev and glad you enjoyed seeing the photos. We are lucky that they have shows like this all over the UK, so quite easy to get to and we should not take them for granted for sure.

      Delete
  6. Some fabulous pictures there Steve. I like the Lost in the Dessert the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous models and I wish I'd had the time (and skill) to take better pics. Glad you liked the 'Lost in the Dessert' too:).

      Delete
  7. Awesome eye's candies! Thank you for a photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some great looking models there Steve and yes, I recognize the Tamiya SdKfz 251 and the infantryman climbing out of it - had those when I was an adolescent, along with a HEAP of other Tamiya 1/35 stuff...all long gone now. I am sometimes tempted to buy some 1/35 stuff and paint it again, but it would just sit in a cupboard or drawer afterwards, so what's the point?! Talking of recognizing things, I also see the iconic entry of the NVA into the US Embassy in Saigon circa 1975 if I am not mistaken!
    Great stuff and must have been a good day out despite the somewhat substandard contribution of our wargaming brethren!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sdkfz 251 with the infantry was just wonderful at the time and had that kit, which I loved. IIRC there was a nice set of Assault Engineers too, which were nicely posed. No idea what happened to the models though. As many have mentioned already, it is tempting to get a kit for old times sake, but what to do with it when completed?

      Probably right on the US Embassy compound, but didn't clock the label as too busy whizzing round taking photos. At least 90% or more of the models had info on the diorama, what mark etc the tank was.

      Yep a real shame the wargames where not up to scratch IMHO, bar the ACW river action. If you want to get people into gaming, you do need to make an effort!

      Delete
  9. I know it was primarily a model show but man! Those dioramas really steal the show from the games. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing. I’m gonna got them again.
    Kinda reminds me that in a good looking game it’s the terrain that most of the heavy lifting. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Stew and you make a good point about terrain really making a game, or not, as the case maybe. I've seen so many games where there are wonderful figures, with lovely bases, playing on really basic and disjointed terrain. So why not spend some time getting consistent terrain together, which is not too difficult given the variety of suppliers, books and videos on offer these days.

      Delete
  10. Some great shots here - loving the Dessert Pic, pretty sure I saw upside down elephant in the custard ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu and another vote for the Dessert diplay:).

      Delete
  11. Wow! That's a lot of photos. Some great models in there. And a bit of nostalgia too. I had that Airfix DAK Reconnaissance Set. Loved all those little sets that weren't Big Cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nostalgia does play a big part in this I must admit, as you spot kits you had as a kid etc. The Dessert display being a case in point. Although the 1/35th scale models and above are incredible, I still love seeing how good you can make a 1/72nd kit look, if you got the time, patience and the skill, all of which I never had as a kid!

      Delete
  12. Wow. Some much eye candy. I loved the banana custard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow indeed Richard! In truth almost too much to take in as even after 3 trips rounf the halls, I was still seeing stuff that caught me eye. The whimsy of the banana custard has struck a chord with a few of us for sure:).

      Delete
  13. Thanks for sharing, some wonderful stuff there. It was a show like that in the town hall when I was a kid that kick started me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome George. Airfix magazine and Military Modelling gave me my entry into the hobby, but never took a trip to the shows in London, so print was my only way to get a fix as it were. I did see some excellent displays at the East of England Show once IIRC, around the time Verlinden was doing his stuff in Military Modelling, which just blew my mind.

      Delete