Thursday 8 December 2022

All Quiet On The Gaming Front

Well it's not entirely true that it's been all quiet on the gaming front of late, but it has been rather sporadic and somewhat disjointed, for the usual real life reasons of being a parent carer that I won't bore you with! So without further ado what has been happening chez moi:

Ancient & Medieval Wargaming
My regular followers will know that over the years I have tried to get into ancients and medieval gaming, but to no avail. Something has never quit clicked, whether it be the rules, figures, periods etc. But a few weeks ago a post on The Wargames Website mentioned Matakashi's Tea House , a site that I had not looked at for years. Whilst browsing and I highly recommend you do if you have some time, I stumbled across the following post.

Well this immediately struck a chord with my interest in the Warhammer Empire milieu that I used to enjoy way back in the day. The whole look of the Army I just loved and fitted in with some units I had already based up a few years ago and then as is my want, nothing happened with them. 

So with the visual look sorted as it were, my mind turned to what rules I could use for some decent battle on a 4' x 4' table or smaller? It's fair to say that I have bought quite a few over the years for ancient and medieval games, but none really grabbed me as mentioned at the start. Lion Rampant is a favourite though so I tried out some simple games, but for me although they worked really well for skirmish games (no surprise there then as that's what they're designed for) they didn't scale up well. Neil Thomas's Ancients & Medieval rules i've used before and although not a bad set of rules, the lack of C&C was and has always been a big issue with me.

Then I saw that Warlord Games were releasing Hail Caesar II, which piqued my interest. These days commonality of rules is really important to me as well as the ability to play fun and challenging solo games. I feel like an old dog that is too old to learn new rules, so HCII really appealed to me. After some mulling things over for a week or so in the end I decided to pre-order them, given that they have now extended the period to include the Hundred Years War as well as The War of the Roses, both of which fit in nicely with the above Religious Fanatics inspiration that kicked this all off. 

Now I just have to await the release of the rules and then hope that the Royal Mail deign to deliver them to me! 

Terrain
As you know, I still love making terrain, more so than in fact painting toy soldiers. I don't always have the time nor the motivation for the latter, but can often find time to fit in some of the former. This was the case recently when I finally completed some Russian buildings from Battlescale Wargames Buildings. These had been primed for ages and then the Muse was upon to finished them, which I grealty enjoyed. The detail on these 6mm buildings is superb and they come highly recommended.












Painting
As alluded to above, the painting mojo has been somewhat lacking of late. However with a forth coming game planned, I finally got around to finishing off some WWII German AFV's that had sat basecoated for an embarassinly long time! My skay arm made painting these more difficult that I first thought, but they look fine when on the games table. In the future I will not make the camo scheme so dense to make it easier to paint for me.







Just a comparison shot to show how big the Russian T-35 take was, as when you see a Tiger II at Bovington, that really is a Big Beast. As you can see the T-35 is bigger (or well onger to be more precise!).



BKCII Battle
I had planned on getting more games in in November, but that fell by the wayside due to the aforementioned real life issues. Still plenty of ideas were being mulled over and in the end I settled upon a BKCII game based upon a classic Featherstone scenario. This was finally played a few days ago and the AAR will follow in due course.

Reveille Wargames Show
The last Sunday in November has traditionally been when our local wargames show, Reveille, is held at in Bristol. Covid had meant that it hat been held for 3 years so it was nice to be able to attend once again. Even though it is mainly a 28mm show and with traders around that 'scale', I still try and support it as it would be a shame to see it disappear. 

The show was busy, even though a few of the usual traders were not there, a sign of the times of them cutting back on the shows that they attend. Still it was very well attended, to the point that it was too crowded to take any photos due to the small spaces between the table and traders. There were some nice games on show, even some that were not 28mm!, with the recently released 'Never Mind The Billhooks' game being particularly popular. 

For once there was nothing there that piqued my interest on the purchases front, but the fickle nature of wargaming meant that I could have bought a brand new copy of 'Rules of Engagement' from Great Escape Games for just £3.00! 10 years ago or maybe a bit more these rules were really, really popular. I imagine they, like many rulesets, were replaced by the latest shiny new offerings, namely Chain of Command and Bolt Action. A topic for another post maybe?

Xenos Rampant
I knew that Dan Mersey had planned upon releasing a Sci-Fin version of his 'Rampant' ruleset, but was unaware that anything had happened until I saw a few posts on various Blogs about Xenos Rampant. Whilst Sci-Fi is not really my thing, I do like the idea of some HG Wells type action set in the late 19thC. In fact many moons ago I did collect some plastic kits for this very purpose, but nothing ever progressed after they were assembled. However I did ponder whether to buy these rules to re-visit these ideas, but decided against it for the present, given that I have more than enough projects on the go as it is.

With Xmas suddenly upon us I'm not sure how much more I'll get done in the next few weeks, but maybe the odd game and some painting would be nice. First up though I need to compile the AAR of my recent game. So until then, stay safe and keep healthy!

22 comments:

  1. Always enjoy seeing you terrain works, Steve. Good to see some painting on deck and especially pleased to see that an AAR is in the works. Yeah, I plan to have a look at Xenos Rampant for a potential use in Star Wars Legion. The book is on order.

    In which scale have you chosen for your new project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon:). I'm sure XR would be perfect for simple Star Wars type games with those wonderful figures you painted recently. For me it's currently planned to be 10mm figures with a complete mish mash of other models and scales: really anything that takes my fancy to be honest. A back burner project for sure but I might dig some stuff out to see how it all sort of fits together.

      Delete
  2. I’ve been having a similar quiet period Steve, though not for a good reason.
    By the way you’ve done a really good job on those buildings, especially with the basing.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope things improve for you Chris, on the gaming front and otherwise. Glad you like the buildings and the various flocks have worked as I hoped on the bases.

      Delete
    2. To be clear Steve, by “not for good reasons” I mean there hasn’t been anything important going on in my life that has stopped me. Rather, more trivial reasons like lack of motivation. I’ve reached the bottom of the trough, because tonight I started to get annoyed with myself.
      Chris

      Delete
    3. You had me worried there for a moment Chris! I've had ideas as always, but struggled to motivate myself to get anything done of late too. The wet weather in November certainly didn't help things.

      Delete
  3. Steve, nice job on the buildings, Battlescale are so nice and it’s good to see Pendraken have now started to stock them. The tanks are looking good, your T-35 has always been a favourite of mine. I am having a huge painting lull at the moment, I just think that sort of thing moves in cycles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm and it is good to see Pendraken stocking them to increase the exposure and at shows too. They are such lovely models they deserve a wider audience.

      Normally I tend to paint more, relatively speaking, at this time of year, but November was really poor, even for me. This week's game has given me some motivation so things might pick up again, all being well...

      Delete
  4. I love your buildings Steve. You’ve managed to get the “look” of the bases to match perfectly with those you already have - so that’s a winner. 👏👏

    Your armoured vehicles are great too. Very impressive and “just the job”!!
    Of course, in the interest of maintaining a fair and equitable balance, I trust you’ll be painting up some additional support for the Allies.

    Not a subject I’d previously given too much thought to, but how exactly should we represent vehicles painted in a camouflage scheme?
    Was the camo paint applied, say, at a centralised workshop - so there would be some degree of uniformity - or would it be applied at “local level” so there would be plenty of variation, as although the paint would be the same the camo scheme itself would likely look slightly different if it was applied by a wide variety of individuals.
    Of course, I appreciate there would be a difference between a regular camo scheme and, for example, hastily applied “winter” camouflage painted after a sudden snowfall.

    I look forwards to reading your AAR of your BKCII battle.

    All the best,

    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geoff and there is some support on a painting stick as I type. As far as I know, the Germans didn't have set camo schemes, based upon the books I've read. They were sent from the factories in a base colour (even red oxide primer late war) and then the camo was applied at the front to suit the general situation. In contrast the British had set camo schemes Early War and in North Africa, as can be seen in unit photos.

      Delete
  5. Thanks Steve for the update….I do find that this wonderful hobby of ours allows me to keep busy even when I’m not doing something. I am often thinking about the next project or the next expansion. When I’m out and about my eye often falls to looking at things thinking “I could use that for…..” etc. the terrain and tanks look really effective 👍 you keep reminding me to get BKC battle on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the terrain and tanks Matt:). Our hobby does allow us to keep engaged in a wide variety of ways, which is good. I've been reading a lot of late and I too keep an eye out for things that I could use for my games. I hope you can get some BKC games in at some point soon.

      Delete
  6. I too have been experiencing a period of inactivity caused by a loss of interest so its nice to know I am not alone. I am quite sure that as the winter progresses we will all acquire fresh enthusiasm for our hobby. In the meantime the buildings look great...you have a definite talent there Steve...the tanks look good too. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony. It seems many of us have been in a bit of a trough of late. Let's hope we can all get back on track soon.

      Delete
  7. Lovely work on the buildings. They are nice models. I wish the tanks I've painted look as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. The buildings are a joy to paint and the detail on them makes drybrushing etc quite easy, which is of course good. I'm glad you liked the tanks too:).

      Delete
  8. Don't know what's wrong with most of us, but I have had quite a lull too...it took me over a week to summon up any enthusiasm to photograph my 20mm SCW troops for an advertised parade! I had a plan to try a beat my highest ever annual posting rate of 132, and could easily have done so if I posted every two to three days in Dec....but here we are, the tenth, and I have posted once (not that it matters at all....just an indication of my lack of hobby motivation!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how many of us have been afflicated by this apparent malaise. I'm certainly more upbeat at present, possibly due to no parent carer paperwork etc, famous last words! I no longer worry if I haven't posted for some time, as as others have said, it is a hobby afterall.

      Delete
  9. Those buildings and there basing look superb and the German armour is beaut as others have said!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James! The sculpting makes it pretty easy to make the buildings look good with a wash followed by drybrushed highlights.

      Delete
  10. Very nice small buildings. I would use some of them for central Europe too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and as you say, they work perfectly well for Central Europe too, which is of course a bonus:).

      Delete