Sunday 27 December 2020

Influential Books

A recent post on Nundanket's Blog  about influential books in our wargaming past got me to a thinking about what books really had an impact on me as a wargamer. So after a week or so of thought I have come up with the following:

 


Airfix magazine is obviously technically not a book, but it is the first publication that I can remember that really got me interested in modelling, WWII and wargaming. Looking at the dates of the issues that I remember very clearly (September 1969 - August 1971), this interest must have started when we moved to a new house and village around mid 1970. These issues we read over and over again and certainly had a huge impact on me as a child. When I bought the copies again in the Summer of this year, it was pure and blissful nostalgia to read them again.
 
 
 
 
Published in June 1976, these are the first historical rules that I can honestly say we played as kids. With our Airfix and Matchbox soldiers and model kits, many a happy hour was spent lining our soldiers up with the most basic scenery and playing games with whatever we had to hand. No set orders of battle, no attempts at balanced sides, but it was always the Western Desert or Normandy and D-Day.

 

 
Alongside the WWII rules I had the Airfix magazine guide to the Afrika Korps. This was poured over many times, looking at the glorious photos and the exploded drawings of the conversions from existing model kits or for ones completely scratch built. I dreamt of making the models but never had the time, the tools nor the skill, but still I dreamt. Ever since owning this book, the Akrika Korps and by extension the north African campaign, has held a special place in my heart.

 
 
 
Around the same time as the above books, I bought a copy of 'A Bridge Too Far' and was completely hooked by the story of Operation Market-Garden and the Red Devils holding on against all the odds. I was so captivated that this book was read more or less none stop whilst on holiday in 1975 or 1976, to the point that my parents despaired of me doing anything else whilst on the beach. This book led to a life long interest in the campaign that hasn't diminished over time.



This book on German tanks and AFVs, was bought from WH Smith's in Cambridge, again around 1975, that led to an enduring love and interest in WWII German armour. The sheer variety of the vehicles inside seemed so much more exotic than the Allied tanks, so I bought and made as many German Airfix and Matchbox kits as I could, which immediately made their way to the wargames table, carpet or lawn, depending upon the space available at the time.






Again whilst not books, these comics were loved for their superb illustrations and the exciting (at the time) stories inside and just fueled my interest in WWII. The Battle magazine came out in 1975 (you can see a theme here) and I remember vividly buying the first issue from the local newsagents and reading it straight away in the local park.
 
I also have to mention the 'World at War' tv series, first broadcast in late 1973 into 1974. It would be remiss of me to exclude this as it was part and parcel of all of the above that over a period of a few years, led to enduring interest in wargaming WWII, that has continued right through to today. Although I have discovered many other periods that I enjoy gaming, WWII is my first love and will always be so. 

Some of the books I still have, some have been replaced and some are on my list to buy, just for memories sake. I would love to own a copy of the WWII rules, but the prices are too high to justify purchasing them. Maybe one day I'll get lucky and stumble across a copy for a reasonable price. 

So I hope my list above might have re-kindled some memories for you as it certainly did for me whilst compiling it. Those few years in the early to mid 1970's were so formative to my wargaming interests and as I type, memories are coming back of time spent with our Airfix soldiers and kits. Happy days!

 

18 comments:

  1. Airfix Guide 15 World War 2 Wargaming instantly hits my nostalgia button!

    Last year one of the kids got me an issue of the Commando magazine as a sort of nostalgia thing, this time though, I scanned it for the artwork, very clever how they do descriptive faces with so few strokes - something I would hope to get good at one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those of us of a certain age can't help but fondly remember the Airfix magazines guides; ditto the Commando and Battle comics. I might treat myself to a few just for old times sake...

      Delete
  2. Excellent look into your formative years, Steve. Clearly, you were one of the Airfix/ WWII generation. I don't have any of these books in my library but did read "A Bridge Too Far" back in the 70s in the same timeframe as you. A wargaming magazine dominates my early years in the hobby too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Airfix was the dominant influence as you can see. Featherstone, Grant et al never figured in our gaming or on our radar. I only came across them as I re-entered the gaming sphere in my early 30's.

      Delete
  3. Your selections and comments bring back lots of memories to me too Steve. I always had a Commando book or two on the go when I was ten to twelve years old, and I love the film of A Bridge Too Far. I have never read the book right through but it was given to my squad of Potential Officers when I was enlisted on a Type O Engagement at the Scottish Infantry Depot after university in 1984 - we were supposed to read it and then be asked questions by our platoon commander but I don't think he ever mentioned it again after the day it was given to us! Your mention of The World at War TV Series reminded me of an earlier one called All Our Yesterdays that I vividly remember watching on Sunday lunchtimes at a very young age (under ten IO would think)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I thought the film was good and only added to my interest in Operation Market-Garden. Not as good as the book but a great watch as a kid. I've never heard of 'All Our Yesterday' so will see if I can find it on Youtube.

      Delete
  4. Very nice and I don’t think there is anything wrong with a little nostalgia in these challenging times. There is no question my core gaming approach reflects what I read as a child in my Featherstone War Games . Agree totally on the World at War I have a copy on DVD and still regularly watch it through start to finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason we missed out on Featherstone, Grant and others. Maybe the books weren't in the shops we frequented, but I never remember seeing them at all. I love the World at War, especially seeing some of the commanders that I've read about since seeing it first time around. The Great War series from the early 1960's is equally good. The BBC did start showing it again in 2014 I think, but never finished it, which was sad.

      Delete
  5. We’re obviously of a similar vintage Steve! Commando and Battle were on my weekly list of what to spend pocket money on. I bought the Airfix Afrika Korps book (and the 8th Army) one a few years ago for pure nostalgia.

    I never got to read A Bridge Too Far until many years after the film. Probably mid-90s. Incidentally, It Never Snows in September is an interesting view from the other side.

    The World at War was made at the ideal time. Long enough after to permit relatively balanced views from the participants, but not too long so many senior people were still alive and could take part. I have my dad to thank for getting me into that when it came out - sat indoors watching a documentary wasn’t what I naturally wanted to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done the same by ordering the 8th Army and Afrika Korps books for Xmas! It Never Snows In September is a superb book and arguable better than A Bridge Too Far. The World at War was required viewing in our house, with the time booked as it were before video recorders.

      Delete
  6. Great post Steve, interesting you mentioned the world at war series it certainly re-kindled memories sitting with my father, he was all about the uniforms and militaria, just could not turn him to game on the table:-)
    This is one of my first...
    The war game;: Ten great battles recreated from history - No idea where my original copy went. But purchased this afternoon on Amazon just because.... :-)
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The War Game has come up in other Blogs as an influential book, so you are in good company there Stu. I think a lot of us are treating ourselves to books from our past for that pure nostalgia hit in these difficult times.

      Delete
  7. An interesting set of influences with near zero overlap with my own! Part of that is doubtless due to my lack of interest in WW2 from a wargames perspective, although I did enjoy the "World at War" TV series, and the film "A Bridge too far".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I'd been exposed to different periods early on, then things may have turned out differently. However it was hard to avoid WWII on the tv and Airfix kits as a kid!

      Delete
  8. 'Mein gott und himmel': Commando comics, what fun they were!
    The great influence of Airfix on wargamers/modellers of a 'certain age', and particular geographical locations, is coming through in these posts.
    Beaut stuff!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. I think those that missed out on Featherstone & Co first time around then tend to then fall into the Airfix category of rules etc.

      Delete
  9. I think I still have a suitcase full of commando comics up in the loft and the Airfix books certainly bring back memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wished I'd kept a lot of this stuff from way back then Pat, but lack of space, Uni, work etc meant that I didn't have time or interest for wargaming, so they went:(

      Delete