Tuesday 16 January 2024

Pastures New

I've had my much used and loved GW gaming mat for more years than I care to remember and it has done sterling service in all that time. To be honest it still looks as good as new. But of course things move on and over recent years the advent of printed gaming mats in a wide variety of finishes has given the gamers untold choices that we could not have dreamed of 20 years ago. I've had many a comment about how much people like my terrain, but wondered why I hadn't gone down the printed mat route. 

Now I have considered it but for multiple reasons it's never been a priority for me. However at the recent game at Keith's, I was able to have a good look at his Geek Villain mat and i must admit I was very impressed. I've seen plenty at shows but often they are from other companies and printed onto mouse mat materials etc and whilst looking good, for me I simply couldn't ignore the satin finish and the pixelated images (I blame my former career for this!). 

So when I got home I decided to check out what was on offer from Geek Villain. Now not all of their mats were in stock (a common complaint I've heard) but after looking at those that were available, the Summer Field one seemed to be closest to the flock I've used for all of my terrain and figures. Now a screen image is a good approximation, but not a gaurantee of course, talk less of print run variations. However it seemed the best bet so I placed an order, which arrived in around 5 days.

My inital reaction was that it seemed a bit bright and not quite in focus, but when layed out and terrain added, it looked pretty good to me. I'll leave you to be the judge of that based upon the images below for a game I've got planned:


All set up for somewhere in Russia 1941. The table size is 4' x 4'. It is a bit lighter in the centre due to the lightbulb directly above.



There are some nice patches of varying colour with some rocky bits, which match nicely to my basing scheme.


I've also been making some new fields for use in my Normandy campaign, but also for across Europe from the 18thC onwards. 

Looking at them on the table, they need a slight drybrush to make the crop colours pop a bit, as they look too flat to me.




Having set it all up I'm very happy with the result and even SWMBO said it looked good, a rare compliment indeed! The aim is to get a game in tomorrow of a scenario I had set up before Xmas, but real life got in the way, so it all had to be packed away. Fingers crossed I'll get an AAR in soon and then we can see how it all looks with figures  and vehicles on it. Even though it is called Summer Field, to my eye it will work well for Burma and the Pacific, as and when I get around to those theatres. Of course on must not forget 18thC India, so maybe I'll do a bit of a parade after the game...

TTFN.


14 comments:

  1. Hi Steve, I like the Geek Villain mats and the Summer Field looks very good as the pattern is very much giving a broken up look. Of course when SHMBO says it looks good …… that is just code that she wants one for her birthday :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The broken nature of the print helps to stop it looking like a billiard table, which was the only downside of the GW mat. They have nice other pattersn, but some of the detail appears to be too large for my 10mm games. I'm not sure I dare get her one for her birthday, unless I wanted to have a spell in hospital...😉!

      Delete
  2. That’s a fine looking mat. Hope you get your delayed battle out on the table for a game on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's growing on me Jon and the colours look a bit washed out in the photos, compared to seeing it on the table. Well the table is all set and the figures brought down, so all I need to do is set everything up...

      Delete
  3. Looking more than great for me!
    Warm regards

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mat looks great Steve. From what I can see it looks a fantastic match for your terrain. That’s a result 👍
    Good luck with the forthcoming battle ⚔️⚔️
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geoff and I think it's a good match too. The AAR is being typed up as I speak as it were!

      Delete
  5. Looks fine to me. I have several commercially bought game mats (mostly from Cigar Box miniatures) and they are good, though my favs remain the homemade ones that have held up well over the years.😁
    One problem I notice with mats is that while they look good in person they sometimes don't photograph well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew. I think you are right as the mat looks slightly out of focus in the photos as being fleece it has a bit of depth to it, so I think the camera struggles. In the flesh it looks much better. The Ciger Box ones look good but I've never seen one this side of the pond that I'm aware.

      Delete
  6. The mat looks fine in the photos to me Steve. But I suppose I need to see it in the flesh to compare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. Normally I would take a small piece of terrain with me so that I could compare the mats on offer when at a show to see which one was the best match. I'm happy with this but if I see another one I think is better, I might buy that too, but don't tell SWMBO!

      Delete
  7. Looks good Steve - I have been contemplating investing in a "proper" mat for ages - two or three years probably - but it has not happened yet - every time I have some hobby money - I spend it on figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith! I didn't need a new mat per se, as my old GW one was fine, but the new mat does look 'better' due to the varied colours that take away that billiard table look. Obviously priorities vary, but I like to have all my terrain based with the same flock etc, ditto my figures, so there is a visual uniformity, which is important to me.

      Delete