Sunday 10 September 2023

Colours 2023 - A Test Of Endurance & Stamina

Yesterday I took my annual trip to the Colours wargames show at Newbury racecourse, which I always see as the start of the wargames season for me. It was forecast to be the hottest day of the year and so it proved to be! Normally it is a question of do I need a light fleece or something a tad more substantial on the clothing front? This time it was how little can I wear whilst maintaining decency and not being confronted by the police;)! So read on for an overview of the show etc.

The Heat
You could not escape the fact that it was unbearably hot in the venue. Even when the doors opened just after 10.00am, it was already hot and stuffy on the ground floor with no breeze at all. On the top floor it was even worse. Everyone was suffering and needing to take repeated breaks outdoors to try and cool down, rehydrate etc. It was actually giving me a headache on the top floor and I know how to cope with heat, having lived in Nigeria for 5 years, but even so, it was a test of endurance the whole time I was there. I had planned on spending a good 4 hours there, having a good browse and a good look at the games on display. As it was I managed 2 1/2 hours and sadly whizzed round the games due to the heat. How the poor souls putting on the games coped I'm not sure.

Attendance
The show seemed well attended but not as busy as previous years. For once you could walk relatively easily along the ground floor where most of the traders are, without feeling like you are on the London underground during rush hour. The same on the top floor where the display games were. Even the B'n'B was busy but not three deep as is often the case.

I had a good chat with Leon and Adele from Pendraken Miniatures and to them lots of people seemed to be browsing, but not buying as much as before. We wondered whether the cost of living crisis, the recent jump in fuel prices and the hot weather put people off from coming. Certainly driving down, the M4 was busy West bound with families heading for the coast to enjoy the last of the Summer weather.

Books
I always like to buy a few books at the show, but once again I was amazed at the difference in prices for the same books, depending upon the seller. Anita's Books is always my first stop as her and her husband are always very friendly and they have a good mix at very reasonable prices. Paul Meekins comes next with a very comprehensive range but it is hard to have a good browse as his stand is always busy. Helion & Co had another good display, but I can buy their books at Paul Meekins one floor below for £10 - £25 cheaper!

Traders
There was a good mix as always, with Warlord Games having a big stand for once, which I don't remember from previous years. As mentioned above, they seemed to be busy but how many sales were being made is another matter. I just wished I'd been able to browse more which was my plan, but the heat put pay to that:(. I did manage to check out Brigade models as I was contemplating buying some of the airships for my Xenos Rampant games and is was good to see a few of them in the flesh so to speak. They were bigger than I'd imagined, even with rough sizes given on their web pages. H&R, Newline Designs and Baccus were on my lists too but hopefully iy will be cooler next year and I can spend more time checking stuff out. Just don't tell SWMBO;)!

The Games
Well enough waffle from me and onto the photos. No surprise that I had to whizz round taking photos in batches and then having a break to recover, so they are a tad rushed but hopefully you will get an idea of what was on offer. There was only one no-show, which was the Delhi 1803 game that I was looking forward to seeing. Hopefully I've got the right games against the photos as the show guide doesn't quite match the games...

Op Caravan - Barce, Libya 1942.

Peter Pig - Macedon - Conquerors & Kings.

TFL - Cannae - Strength & Honour.

Peter Pig - PBI- Factory Fight WWII.

I loved this game and wished I could have spent more time taking it all in.



TFL - Bonsai Bonkers.

No prizes for guessing the rules;)!


2nd Mantinea 362 BC - DBMM rules.



Breakthrough to Leipzig 1813.



Vietnam Skirmish.

A stunning Vietnam game. So much time and effort has obviously gone into making this game.





Saga - Samurai Skirmish. Another game with lots of attention to detail and much to admire.




A Gladiator game.

A Star Trek game.

Rolica, Portugal 1808.


To the Strongest - another Mantinea game.

LRDG raid.



Nagashino 1579?


The bamboo fences were a nice touch.


Rapid Fire.


Game of Thrones.


A mix of Mortem et Glorium games, inclusing the Pacto variant.






Isandlwana in 28mm using Bloody Big Battles rules.



The Haul
I feel the heat limited what I might have bought, which is probably a good thing given SWMBO reaction to what I did buy!

A mix of pre-orders from Pendraken (Russian WWII) and so ACW packs for some core forces to expand my Imagi-Nations forces, but more on that another time.

A steal at only £6.00! I remember this as a kid and have been after if for a while, really just to read and get some ideas from it for possible future games.

As with the above, excellent value for £5.00, both from Anita's Books. Perfect for uniform ideas, obscure conflicts and forces, such as the Andean Liberation Army. Never heard of it before and I doubt many people have.


Final Thoughts
I was glad I went even if it was a test of endurance and stamina whilst there! I was happy with my purchases and it is nice to not only support the traders there but to treat oneself now and then. Normally I would get inspiration from many games, but I simply could not spend the time I would have liked to looking at them for rather obvious reasons. When I got back in the car it was a toasty 37C! 

At least the weather is due to cool down to near normal temperatures by tomorrow, so I can get back to painting my 18thC Indian force as it's about 5 weeks to the show. Progress is going well but I need to keep my nose to the grindstone!

TTFN.

18 comments:

  1. You managed to take plenty of pictures Steve despite the heat.
    I loved that Barker Airfix Guide too. I think I might have bought a copy a few years ago when I got a few Airfix Guides purely for the nostalgia.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did them in small bursts, taking short breaks on the balconies or terraces, to get some air! I never had the guide but I'm pretty sure a friend did, so looking forward to reading it, partly for info and partly for nostalgia too:).

      Delete
  2. You had me at airships - but I commend you for your public service blogging. Some great photos. Almost feel like I was there, except no crowds and I didn’t spend anything - so the best of all worlds. Anecdotal I know but I’ve definitely cut down on my hobby spending in the last 6 months and I’ve spent nothing at all this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark! I wished the heat had allowed me to have a proper chat/look at the Brigade models stuff, but as mentioned, better for the wallet that I didn't;). I don't spend much these days, certainly not on new projects, as I've got enough core periods which I tend to flesh out now and then. Glad you enjoyed the photos as I know what it's like not being able to attend many for various reasons, so appreciate those than share their visits like this. Nice to repay the favour as it were.

      Delete
  3. Phew - 37c - now that's hot in anyone's money Steve - but for England in Autumn it's amazing! Of course, one of the problems of a country where its rarely over 20c is a general lack of air-conditioned buildings, as I am sure the venue for this show was?! Looks like you kept enough presence of mind to grab some goodies though, so those five years in Nigeria weren't wasted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely hot Keith and way above the seasonal average for the time of year! Sadly no air conditioning at the show, which is the main race course stand building, which is normally lovely as it's light and airy, but the glazed frontage worked against us yesterday. In contrast the Warfare show at Ascot race course in November has seen traders and gamers in hats and gloves as it has no heating IIRC, with some taping up gaps around the windows to try and keep warm.

      Certainly the training we had from the London School of Tropical Hygiene and Medicine as VSO's prior to our postings has stood me in good stead over the years. Hard to think that I played cricket in these sorts of temperatures years ago and that the rugby world cup has had games in 35C heat so far. No wonder they've given them drinks breaks after about 20 minutes!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the photos and commentary Steve.
    Do you have any idea what the “odd lumps” are in bottom left corner of photo #17 Vietnam skirmish? Ant or termite mounds maybe? Just curious…
    I too have a copy of the Airfix Magazine Guide to Ancient Wargaming. It was a worn “reading copy” so I keep it in the conservatory and read it whilst I sit on the patio, keeping an eye on our dogs in the back garden 😎📕📖🪑🐶🐶
    World Uniforms & Battles 1815-1850 is another good book, as you say it’s full of interesting stuff. If you want to learn more about the various South American Wars of Liberation then checked a series of books called “Liberators” - Caliver Books have them in stock. Not especially cheap, but very informative about a rather “niche” subject.
    Hopefully the really hoy weather is now on the wane and we can return to more normal weather. That’s be more conducive to your painting I’m sure 😉
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the waffle and photos Geoff! Sorry no idea on those lumps, but best guess is termite mounds. The joy of sellers like Anita's Books is that you come across titles that are new to you, are good value and with lots of interesting and tempting information. The sun has just come back out so now hot and humid again, so no painting until the evening at least. However two potentially good rugby matches on, so may put pay to that...

      Delete
    2. By coincidence Steve I saw a picture of the Vietnam skirmish game on Facebook. I asked the question and it was confirmed these were indeed termite mounds.
      Thank you BBC and Sir David Attenborough - clearly some of the information imparted managed to “stick”.
      Cheers,
      Geoff 😉

      Delete
    3. Good to know they are indeed termite mounds. I've seen them in the flesh so to speak in Nigeria and they are very impressive to behold, especially when you see them spread over a wide area.

      Delete
  5. Given the number of photos you snapped, looks like you held up in the heat very well, indeed! Thanks for the show photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I paced my self, that's for sure Jon! Glad you liked the photos too:).

      Delete
  6. A couple of useful purchases to wrap the day up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always nice to come away with a few treats Peter:).

      Delete
  7. Some lovely games on display and excellent inspiration 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were but sadly the heat prevented me, and many others by the sound of it, from having the time to really appreciate all that was on offer.

      Delete
  8. Lots of lovely photos, well done and some decent purchases, always nice to see an airfix book, I have to admit to already having the 19th century book!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain! I used to see the Patrick Stephens Limited warehouse/factory at Bar Hill everytime we went to see our grandparents. We always wished we could go in and have a look and of course buy something. So nowadays they are bought very much for nostalgia reasons and are basic compared to todays offerings, but still have plenty to offer. The other book is a real gem and look forward to getting stuck into it soon:).

      Delete