Sunday 30 April 2023

Napoleonics

Whilst my gaming and painting mojo has been severely lacking of late, at least I have still been enjoying the hobby by reading books, which I have always loved. With rather poor weather to put it mildly for the past two months, I have been racking up the pages read each day. Come the afternoon however,  I like to spend an hour or so watching tv as a bit of 'me time' before SWMBO returns from work. Nothing in particular and much depends upon what takes my fancy that day.

So a few days ago I was watching Youtube (hedonist I know!) and browsing through the Little Wars TV and alighted upon a few of their Napoleonic episodes, which piqued my interest. This coincided with a few fellow Bloggers putting up some Nappies posts, so I dug out a few books to browse and my interest in this period was re-kindled. Rather nice to have a bit of a 'spark' again after a rather fallow spell.

Now the only downside of Nappies from my perspective, aside from which rules to use, the column vs line debates, the uniform police etc, is really which Armies to go and which campaign? In contrast the Seven Years War is so easy in comparison. The LWTV chaps have a nice little piece on starting out which I found rather helpful as a guide, but it got me no further forward, but 'tis early days still. 

So whilst pondering whether to go for 1813-1815 Prussians (lots of interesting uniforms and troops types) or the Peninsula War (somewhat done to death this side of the pond but again lots of choice) I decided to actually get my butt in gear in play a game whilst this played out in my subconscious. I chose  a simple scenario that Norm Smith had put together to kick things off to get me back into the swing of things with Shadow of the Eagles, the excellent rules from my good friend Keith Flint. The game was set up last night and in a quiet moment this morning I actually got to roll some dice, which was great!


The Prussians are defending a small village with the French preparing to attack.

The Prussians line the edge of the village, which should prove to be a good defensive position.

Artillery cover the road and troops line the hedges.

The French come on in Column of Attack with a skirmish screen out in front.

The Skirmish Screen closes.

Firing erupts across the front.

Things are fairly equal on the right flank.

The same on the left flank.

Things quickly change and the French begin to suffer.

The French continue to suffer from Prussian firing, but dish out some punishment back.

A French unit routs and the commander is killed in the process.

The French right is on a parlous state, due to some excellent Prussian musketry.

It's all up for the French as...

...another unit Routs.

The Prussians pulled back from the hedge to help recover some hits and to avoid French fire.


Post Game Thoughts
It was great to get a quick little game in to get to grips with the rules and the period again after so long. All-in-all it probably took less than an hour to play. A few thoughts on the game:
  • This is a perfect little tester scenario that Norm has created, with not too many nor types of unit, which speeded things up.
  • I thing the new skirmish rules are a big improvement on what is in the book. I want to try a Light Battalion in the next game to see how they play compared to Skirmish Screens. The only thing I wasn't sure about was when shooting at the Skirmish Screen, whether those hits count towards the unit as a whole. I re-reading of the book will probably provide the answer I need.
  • The BUA proved to help the defenders due to the -1 to hit, which certainly helped. 
  • Both sides had above average shooting, with the Prussians edging it allowing them to get the upper hand. Even the Inferior Landwehr got the better of the French!
  • Both sides made good use of Morale Saves to reduce hits, with honours pretty even.

What next? Well a few more games to get the basics sorted is the plan, alongside adding in a few more unit types and maybe an all Cavalry action to try charges etc. Then of course there is the question of do I add to the lead mountain with two new forces or just carry on with my MDF figures? Certainly the latter for the moment given my other projects, but I can see some purchases in the future, once I can decide upon a campaign and force to fight the French.


16 comments:

  1. Good to see you finding time and energy for a small game and thoughts of a new project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff Steve! A different setting different rules and different opponents but seemed like the French in your game suffered a similar fate to ours. Attacking a defensive position is hard work!
    Hope you go for some additions to the lead pile, I would love to see you create armies in 10mm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Keith! These small tester games help you to gain an idea of rough forces required for attack & defence to make for a fun game, given both sides a chance. Certainly here you need to soften up the BUA or try to neutralise the units either side first, before closing in for the attack.

      With some more games, I hope to get an idea of rough forces I might require. I bought a load for some potential Revolutionary Wars games, but as with many things, my interest has moved on, so very much in exploratory mode at present.

      Delete
  3. Another interesting game Steve, even if the outcome was pretty much “as you’d expect”. If you must assault a built up area then, for the attacker to have a decent chance of success, they need plenty of artillery (to soften up the defences and weaken the defenders) and more troops than the defenders. Of course, a force of light troops or, better still, cavalry to “get around the flanks” would also be helpful - but then again that would almost certainly need a larger table… which is very much a different game to where you’re starting from.
    My gaming mojo is also low at present, as I’ve been deflected onto gardening tasks… I bought a few bags of topsoil, compost & woodchip today and tomorrow will likely be a visit to a garden centre for various plants. Then there’ll be the joy of planting… and the bad back that will doubtless go with it. 😞
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm's little scenario is very much a rules tester one, just to help get the mechanics nailed down and to test one ruleset against another, IIRC. No real chance of flank movement here, although the French left almost made it before a Regiment routed, leaving them isolated.

      As you know, I love gardening so am quite happy to do that, although I do have to watch not putting my back out these days!

      Delete
  4. Just have to say...buy more MDF figures...they are just so good, far superior dare I say than lead !!!!!!...bet that elicits a few negative comments !!!!....Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly the MDF figures are in the mix as a possible option moving forward Tony. For my existing ones some re-flagging would be required, but this is quite easy to do. At present they are doing sterling service allowing me to try things out, which was the aim of them in the first place. They are also extremely cost effective too!

      Delete
  5. That was a good scenario to whet the appetite Steve. Enjoyed the report, and enjoy contemplating a new project... that in itself is a lot of fun, even if it comes to nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard and Norm has come up with a nice little starter scenario for sure. Contemplation is fun, even if it amounts to naught as you rightly say:).

      Delete
  6. Good to see a Napoleonic battle seeing some action. I am still not certain which rules I will use although I’m not really worrying about that. The painting however is going well 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt and I'm enjoying some Nappies action after quite a while away. Rules wise so many to choose from, but personally as long as you can easily sort out Line, Square, March & Assault Columns, then the rest will follow as and when. Of course if you go for big battles with the likes of Blucher, then basing takes on a different dimension.

      Delete
  7. The 'Uniform Police' that did make me chuckle.... one of the reasons I went with Haiti is that you don't get the button counters :-) - Lovely looking game as always Steve and a well fought scenario.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu! Sadly there used to be quite a few vocal Uniform Police at the old club I attended, so the Peninsular has its attractions given the sorry state of the uniforms and the fact that both sides wore the others uniforms at times due to wear and tear, lack of supply etc. Less of an issue in 10mm of course.

      Delete
  8. Do only a few downsides to napoleonics eh? 😀
    Fun looking little game. But what are MDF troops? Like flats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew! The MDF troops are like flats, but with a little bit of depth to them, but not much. They are 2mm thick and about 8mm high, although they are described as 6mm, but fit in well with 'normal' 6mm figures. They are sold by Walt at Commission Figurines.

      Delete