Thursday 1 September 2022

Normandy '44

Earlier this year I bought the following book along with a few others to add to the library. I have plenty of books on the Normandy campaign already, so one might reasonably ask: "Do I need another?". Well of course not in one sense as I know so much about the campaign already, but in another it's always good to get another viewpoint, plus James Holland has become one of my favourite WWII historians over the past few years.




So what did I think of the book? Well it makes for a good primer for the campaign, without going into too much detail, where you wouldn't be able to see the wood for the trees as it were. Was there anything new or of interest that I learnt from it? Most certainly there was! The main points that stood out to me were:

Logistics. Quite simply the sheer scale of the invasion and the follow up is brought sharply into focus. Although touched upon in other books, here it plays quite a central part to the story. It is summed up rather nicely in one chapter heading: 'The Freedom of Poverty and the Constraints of Wealth'. Although the Allies had a massive numerical and materiel superiority, much of the time they struggled to bring this to bear as much as they might wish, due to being hemmed in in a relatively small area for much of the campaign, until the break out by the Americans later on. 

Weather. Along with the above its effects upon Allied operations in particular are nicely highlighted, from the damage to the Mulberry harbours and the delays in getting menn and equipment off the beaches, through to delays in attacks being able to go in due to no air support, that allowed the German 'crust' to be stiffened quite significantly. In another example a whole British Brigade was unable to join one of the major attacks due to being delayed in getting off the beaches.

Air Support. There is a lot devoted to the planning of the air campaign for the invasion as well as the conflict between the Strategic and Tactical air support as the campaign progressed. The usefulness, or not, of the types of bombers used, when and how is quite enlightening, as well as how the use of air support eveolved during the campaign. Armed reconnaissance is a case in point.

As I was reading the book, and it is a very good read, lots of ideas kept popping into my head of how the above and other examples could be used for my BKCII campaigns, to add another level of interest and dare I say it historical accuracy. I would heartily recommend anyone with an interest in the Normandy campaign to buy a copy of this book, as IMHO it is well worth it.

So until next time stay safe and keep healthy.


10 comments:

  1. Good review, Steve! Adding logistics into a campaign game seems a necessary and logical extension. I suppose it falls to what level of campaign you are creating. For an operational-level campaign, I think including logistics and consumption (both in men and materiel) is a requirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon. I could have gone into more detail, but I thought the broad brush approach worked best, given that you really should read the book. Certainly for the operational level games, whether board games or otherwise, logisitcs are a fundamental issue IMHO. For the sort of games and campaign I play, then I would look more towards the weather, enemy interdiction etc affecting my logistical tail. Plenty to ponder on for sure and I need to peruse my Featherstone et al campaign books for more ideas on how to handle this.

      Delete
  2. I was in waterstones (uk bookstore) the other day and they had a half shelf of his various books …. All very compelling. I just picked up Beevor’s D-Day and James Holland (signed) brothers in Arms, so am Normandied out for now, but might drop a hint to the kids about this title when they start the Christmas list …. Yes I know, but we have already started our buying to spread the load!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beevor's a great author too; ditto Max Hastings. I was going to read Brother In Arms next, but felt Normanied out too so switched Duffy and the SYW. I like to chops and change to keep my interest going in the book and period. We too will start shopping soon I would imagine for the same reasons you have mentioned.

      Delete
  3. Ha ha! Full marks to Jon getting in an “operational level” in a post about a James Holland book! 😆
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
  4. WWII was my gateway game into historical gaming when I was playing a lot of Flames of War , watching Band of Brothers, and reading everything I could get. Had a pretty nice sized library on the subject but now they’re all gone. I’ve moved over to audio books or digital. No space for a real library anymore. Though the subject is so huge I’m not surprised that there are still good books being written. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWII was my first real wargaming love and interest and remains so to this day, although I do like the SYW and mid 19thC Europe too. I must admit that I'm a book man through and through and just can't get on with digital versions, but can see the advantage of them.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the interesting review Steve. This certainly sounds like it’s a book that ought to be “required reading” for anyone with an interest in Normandy. As it is, I prefer the Eastern Front - and already have way, way too many books in the “to be read” pile. What a dilemma…
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Geoff. I would certainly agree that it is a required book for those interested in the campaign. I have some books on the Eastern Front, but it doesn't have the pull that Normandy has. the to read pile is a nice dilemma to have:).

      Delete