Monday 27 June 2022

Cold War Gone Hot (or Tepid)

About a week ago on one lovely early Summer's evening, I picked up my copy of Cold War Commander to read in the garden, not something we can always do with our variable martitime climate here in Blighty. This came about after looking at the recently released Pendraken Arab-Israeli  on the Pendraken Blog earlier in the day. Too tired for any heavy reading, a browse through the rulebook seemed a perfect way to spend an hour or so relaxing after a long day.

The book in question.


Flicking through the book brought back many happy memories of playing some NATO vs Warsaw Pact  games some 10 or more years ago (I can't believe it's that long since I played) as well as a superb Portbury Knight's Campaign organised by one of the club members who really was into the whole Cold War 1980's milieu. The campaign really energised the club and lots of us took the dive into 6mm wargaming. Alas as with many things in the wargaming world, interested died away and to free up funds and some space, I sold off my BAOR battlegroup.

With the release of CWCII at Partizan, my interest was piqued as to what changes had come about in the rules, so checking the Pendraken forum, all lot of the issues with the original rules seemed to have been addressed, such as the ATGW's not really being worth buying, compared to say a MBT. Naturally there is plenty more but you get my drift.

As with these things, the flap of butterfly wings could be heard in the distance as my mind began to ponder whether to dip my toe in the water once again. One thing led to another and I was soon perusing the offerings from Pendraken, TimeCast and the Plastic Soldier Company, along side the ever affordable Heroics & Ros 6mm ranges. Aside from what scale to go with, the issues of cost, battlegroup versus brigades and what forces began to swirl around in my mind.

For large scale battles that we used to play at the club, 6mm is a complete no brainer, where I would normally have at least an Mechanised Infantry Battalion and Tank Regiment on the table. Whilst fun, they were long games, you needed at least a 6' x 4' table and really an opponent to play against. Whilst tempting these days that is not really an option. However it is still damned tempting for sure! So after much thought and advice from other forum members, Battlegroups of say a couple of Companies plus a Tank Company or two with support, would be the best way to go and be much more solo and time friendly. 

For the forces and setting I must admit that I always favour the classic NATO vs Warsaw Pact, nominally set in the late 1970's to early 1980's. Chieftain tanks facing off against T-54/55's and T-62's really floats my boat, leaving the Challengers and later MBT's for others to play with! However a sort of Balkans setting or maybe a Russo-Turkish War that escalates has also piqued my interest. Then there is my perennial interest in Austria, which could provide some interesting games, but accessing the right equipment is a bit of an issue in 10mm compared to 6mm. 

To go alongside with the above, I remember reading and enjoying 'Red Storm Rising' by Tom Clancy many years ago, so ordered a copy to get me back into the swing of things. Along side this a copy of Hackett's 'The Third World War' is on its way to me. I have in mind to order 'First Clash' by Macksey whose other books I have enjoyed over the years. I think that will be more than enough reading material for me.

I did wonder whether to carry on using CWCI for my possible games, but in the end decided it was well worth getting CWCII for a whole variety of reasons. I went for the rulebook rather than the pdf, as I much prefer the former to the latter. To help keep printing costs down, Pendraken have only included a few sample lists, with all the others being freely available via their forum. Aside from cost, this allows them to be updated on an as needs basis which is a good idea.

As you can see, another large project beckons and with much for me to ponder, lists to plan etc. But in the meantime I need to prepare for a large Battle of Waterloo games in a couple of weeks with friends, where I am taking on the role of his Grace the Duke of Wellington. So time for some trial games to get au fait with the rules as well as some background reading. Happy days!

So until next time, stay safe and keep healthy!

18 comments:

  1. Fascinating project ruminations, Steve. One tenet came to mind reading your post. That is, be very cautious selling off armies. One never knows when interest will be rekindled. Do I have any such regards? Sure. I wish I still had my 20mm Vietnam collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon. I find it interesting to read about how other gamers go about starting a project, so hopefully this will be of interest to others too.

      Selling off armies is always a contentious issue for some, ditto books etc. For me at the time it was a question of them not being used so they might as well go to a good home, which they did, to get used on a regular basis. If they'd stayed with me they would not have seen the light of day for around 10 years. I think this justifies my actions and I certainly re-invested the monies into 10mm figures that I have used since.

      The one regret I do have is selling off some 28mm dwarves that included an original White Dwarf figure from the 1970's that I in hindsight I wish I'd kept.

      Delete
  2. Interesting new project. There is a sequel to Hackett’s book called The Untold Story. I managed to get an original hardback copy a couple of years ago for a ridiculously cheap price, I think the postage cost more than the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I could say more like re-visiting an old project, but in fairness it does feel new and rightly so. I too picked up both books mentioned for about £6.50, inc p&p, which is mad really. I'll keep an eye out for the second Hackett book once I've read the first.

      Delete
  3. Steve, you have much to consider and more potential projects to ponder. That’s very much the way of the vast, vast majority of wargamers. Hey ho 😆🤣

    I’m not a huge fan of Cold War Turned Hot, but spotted a scenario book - The Bear Marches West by Russell Phillips. The description says “All the scenarios are based on battles depicted in well-known novels”. Maybe worth a punt at under £2 on Kindle?

    As a youngster I bought James Rouch’s book series “The Zone”. They’re not especially realistic, rather more Sven Hassel does WW3.

    Selling off books and figures? It’s not something I’d consider, but you can never say never…

    Cheers,

    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potential projects are always lurking somewhere in the shadows for all of us I imagine, which I know is certainly the case for me!

      The Cold War milieu is an interesting one if you can get the campaign narrative right, ditto the scenarios and forces. It can easily dissolve into a tank fest on the table otherwise with the infantry having very little to do in game terms. I remember seeing Russell's book advertised some years ago and will check it out again, so thanks for the reminder as it were.

      Selling off figures is really a practical move on my part, given that over the years I've bought 'projects' as some retail therapy, which in all honesty will never see the light of day. In my book better to pass these on to a new home, thus allowing me to focus on the projects and periods I know will get played.

      Delete
  4. A project in the late 70s and early 80s does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I suppose being of an age when the Cold War was often in the news, it has more appeal than say Vietnam, or the Gulf War which to me is a pure Turkey shoot.

      Delete
  5. Always fun to start a new project. Lots of planning and plotting. I am sure it will be smooth sailing with your previous experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to start planning as you say Ben, which for me is the easy part. Getting stuff painted is the damned tricky bit!

      Delete
  6. Interesting stuff.....looking forward to seeing some figures/vehicles ready for battle. Selling off stuff is an issue for all. I sold off all my plastic models some years ago and have wondered ever since if I did the right thing...not that I used them but..... As for selling off books, that I could never do..... but space is an ever present problem. The main thing is that your new project is exciting. Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the book is on its way, I think I have some good reference stuff tucked away somewhere, so it's really a matter of deciding upon which scale to use. Most of the books sold were ones that I did not enjoy, so no great loss as far as I'm concerned. The project is certainly exciting though:).

      Delete
  7. I look forward to following this new project to completion, and then seeing some games hit the table Steve! In the meantime, I can't wait to see how you acquit yourself as the Duke....no pressure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you will find it of interest Keith. Ideas are already firming up and hopefully another post on this tomorrow. As for putting up a good fight as the Duke & Co, I fear that the French may have a field day. Let's hope the French players make the same mistakes as Napoleon and that Blucher and Co turn up on time. At least I'm getting some games in to get more au fait with the rules. So far the French Columns of Attack have been rather deadly...

      Delete
  8. Never gamed this period, or anything more recent than WW2, but did really enjoy Red Storm Rising back in the eighties. Like many Tom Clancy stories the set up is great but the resolution feels false. Could never understand why he kept the same hero, Jack Ryan; he saves the World so often it’s hard to imagine the Americans not worshiping him as a God.
    BTW can you ask Grymauch how he keeps track of all the units in the massive Napoleonic game he’s playing at the moment as I still can’t comment on his blog. How does he avoid accidentally overlooking units in a turn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think with the whole Cold War Gone Hot setting it is really hard to know how it might have played out long term, given the poor showing of the Russian troops in the Ukraine at present. Would they have been this bad or much more motivated back in the 1980's? Of course we'll never know and can only make some informed decisions, but fun trying them out for sure.

      I'll pop a message on Jon's Blog for you due to the ongoing Blogger issues many are facing.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for asking this - I saw his response. I don't know why my first post was anonymous, I'm sure I used my name. Anyway, so as not to claim any undue kudos I must admit I am not a blogger just very appreciative of those who do.

      Delete
    3. No problem Rob and Blogger has been doing bizarre things for several months now with no rhyme nor reason to it:(.

      Delete