Monday 28 February 2022

Troops On Parade - Pendraken Painting Competition 2022

Another year has gone by and once again the Pendraken Painting Competition is upon us. As in previous years I always seem to leave it to the last minute to dig out what has been finished this past 12 months and then hurry to take some photos. Slightly more organised this time around (ie I had a sort out last night!) meant that I only had to set up some terrain today to set the miniatures in. Even so it was still a rush, with the deadline for submissions midnight tonight!

It is interesting to look back at what was achieved, which was slightly more than I remembered. Not all of the following will be submitted, but I had fun posing the AFV's and figures. So without further ado:


A Sherman squadron for use with BKCII. Another one was recently completed, which will be used as command tanks.


A squadron of Cromwell tanks which jumped the queue as they are needed for my current BKCII campaign.


A mix of early WWII German tanks completed last year with the aim of using them for some Poland '39 & France 1940 campaigns. They look a bit dull due to the grey, but hopefully as and when I get to add some markings they might 'pop' a bit more, but this is rather difficult to do at this scale, especially the Balkankreuz on the hull.


An AVBCW command base and Recce unit. The model T Ford was converted slightly to make it into an armoured version.

A parade of AVBCW flag bearers. I was happy with how these turned out.

An AWI command base.


Some 18thC Imagi-Nations heavy cavalry.


A 19thC Imagi-Nations artillery limber and civilian driver.


19thC Imagi-Nations artillery. I think I will paint the barrels black, rather than brass/bronze, for a greater contrast with the ochre carriage.


19thC Imagi-Nations Zouave command base.


19thC Imagi-Nations Zouave unit.


19thC Imagi-Nations 'Swedish' unit.


19thC Imagi-Nations Infantry Brigade.








Each year I do realise how many projects I have 'on the go' and most are far from completion. Currently I'm trying to 'finish off' some WWII forces so they are all but complete, which I can then return to as and when I feel the need or desire to. This will hopefully allow me to focus on another set of forces for a different period, such as my 'stalled' 19thC Imagi-Nations forces. One can but hope, but the flap of the butterfly's wings will inevitably come and distract me!

So until next time stay safe and keep healthy.

14 comments:

  1. Your scenery provides a nice setting for all the wonderful figures and vehicles you have painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter and glad you liked them:). Without some sort of backdrop, the miniatures look a bit lost on their own at this scale, mainly due to my rather poor photography skills. Having them in a setting helps me get a 'better' photograph. Not that I have a snow flake in Hell's chance of winning anything, given the quality of some of the entries so far!

      Delete
  2. You’ve painted some lovely lookin’ toys there Steve. Well done.
    I especially like the Cromwell’s in pictures #3 & #4. Please tell the squadron commander to keep on driving as I suspect they will be most welcome reinforcements for the allied forces near Pemba.
    Likewise, given the current situation in Eastern Europe, I was almost disappointed the imaginations 19th century blue/yellow uniformed Swedes (pictures #21 & #22) weren’t Ukrainians. That’s enough politics I reckon - sorry.
    It’s always good to see more AVBCW figures/models, if only to see someone else’s perspective on this (fictional) war.
    Keep up the good work in 2022.
    Take care & keep safe,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geoff and glad you liked the toys! The Cromwells need to get a move on, especially as they were pretty fast tanks, to help keeping the pressure on Pemba and surroundings.

      I did toy with the idea of calling them Ukrainian Volunteers or the Zelensky Regiment, but thought best to keep politics off the Blog.

      The AVBCW keeps drawing me back to it, purely for the sheer fun of being able to put pretty much any toys on the table you want from the Inter-War period. So many great AFV's and aircraft to choose from:).

      Delete
  3. Nice parade Steve and it all sits well with your new backdrop. I did like the humungous 10mm T35 tank you did a few years ago for the competition, so once again, fingers crossed for you - good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Norm! I did plan on painting a Tiger II and Jagdpanther, but the Sherman's and Cromwell's were needed sooner for the campaign. Certainly the big 'Cat's' look better than say a humble but cute L3/35 and are certainly easier to take a photo of.

      Delete
  4. Very nice parade! I would enjoy seeing your AWI and 19thC projects out on the table for a game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon! This has motivated me to try and finish off two forces for some 19thC games and then possibly some AWI given that I now have the 'Live Free or Die' ruleset:).

      Delete
  5. They look great, Steve! Thanks for sharing.

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some very nice images amongst this lot Steve - your diminutive figures are very attractively presented and set off by a lot of excellent terrain pieces. I think, like Geoff, my favourites are the WWII armour too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith and I'm happy how they sit in the terrain etc. The tanks too are my favourite as I find them easier to paint than figures etc at this scale. The infantry and cavalry have quite a basic, impressionistic paint job so that they stand out more when on the table. Subtle shading and highlights look fine close up but simply disappear when at arms length. That's my excuse anyway;).

      Delete
  7. Crikey Steve, you've certainly been busy! You paint 10mm guys to the same standard I paint my 28mms - or a bit better. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith! They look better at arms length to be fair as the 'blobby' highlights tend to merge and make the figures look OK. You're 28mm figures work for me:).

      Delete