Tuesday 25 January 2022

Books Old & New

Frankly you can't beat sitting down with a good book to read rather than one of those Kindle thingy's! I can see their appeal, don't get me wrong, but I just love to have a physical book in my hand. Over the past few months I've tried to spend the first part of the morning reading a chapter or two, which has been a real pleasure. I used to always read in bed at night, but recent back problems have meant that this is not always possible, plus often I would begin to fall asleep half way through the chapter, which is less than ideal as you can imagine.

At the weekend some more books arrived to add to the 'to read' pile and I must admit a slight frisson when I open the packages and get my grubby mitts on them! the first flick through the pages is always a joy, reading bits here and there, looking at the photos, maps etc. So enough waffling from me and onto the books:


That excellent chap, David Crook of 'A Wargaming Odyssey' Blog fame, gifted me these two books whilst he was having a clear out. They had been ones that I had considered buying for sometime but had never quite gotten around to it, so I was more than happy to take these off his hands. Earlier I had sent him a booklet on Shermans used in Burma that I too was gifted by a friend a good few years ago, which would be  of more use to him than myself.

Having really enjoyed his book on Sicily 1943, I'd had my eye on this book, but when it came out in paperback. These are much my preferred type of book than hardbacks, as the latter take up too much space in my 'library'. However I needed to add something to an Amazon order to qualify for free postage and this was heavily discounted due to a torn cover. Along with the good price this book has lots of good images that I know from experience lose something when in paperback form. Given that many of them would be perfect reference for wargames scenarios, I was quite happy to make some space for the hardback version.

Can one have too many books on the Normandy campaign? A moot point of course but given that I learnt quite a few new things abut the Sicily campaign, I'm looking forward to reading this and see what fresh new perspectives he brings. An author that I find a pleasure to read and one that I put up with Hasting, Beever & Kershaw.

I've had this book for over 5 years or more now and really enjoyed the first book in the series. Bought at a time when I had planned some Hundred Years War games, which never materialised, it has sat on the shelf rather forlorn as my attention turned elsewhere. But no longer! Wanting a change from recent periods being read, I picked this off the shelf (another advantage of books over Kindle et al) and was immediately taken once again my Sumption's fantastic skills as an author. Impressive for any normal author but he was also a practising QC at the time then this was written! For any one interested in the HYW his books really should be your first choice. It certainly has given me many more ideas for Lion Rampant games, which is good.


Sadly real life in the form of decorating means that my chapter or two reading this morning failed, but maybe I might squeeze in sometime this afternoon, if I'm lucky. So I must crack on and make progress so that I can justify having a day or two off to play my campaign game!

 

26 comments:

  1. Steve....Totally agree about the joy of "real" books...nothing better...except getting a bunch of new ones. Happy reading. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree Tony, getting new books is such a pleasure:).

      Delete
    2. Place me into the camp of physical books over electronic.

      Delete
    3. We're singing from the same hymn sheet Jon:).

      Delete
    4. We often do although I can be slightly off key.

      Delete
  2. Splendid gift from David. I have just picked up Brothers in Arms as it looks a superb source for scenario generation and for understanding the realities behind what our tactical rules and situations should be delivering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed a splendid gift from David. My thoughts exactly on the BiA book Norm. I have quite a few others than have some good scenario material in them which are perfect for smaller scale actions at say Company level and below.

      Delete
  3. The Oman books are a great read, you must attempt to locate volume three. I have had mine for years and get depressed when I see how cheap they have become. As for Sumpton, he certainly knows his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading them and must try and locate the third volume. At times it is sad to see how cheap some books are, especially when they are no longer 'popular'. Sumption is a great author and gives plenty of info without it becoming over bearing.

      Delete
  4. A fine collection of books Steve…
    I have been told many times that a Kindle is more convenient…
    But I prefer the real thing… and of course paper doesn’t run out of batteries…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. I can see the attraction of a Kindle if you travel a lot, but personally I would rather take one good book with me and, as you rightly point out, it doesn't need batteries!

      Delete
  5. My £££ go on books every time - 100%. Why waste money on booze or cigarettes when there are books you can buy?
    Keep safe,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Geoff, although I'm sure there are plenty of others who might disagree with us! Another thing is that you can buy really good books second hand for less than the price of a wargames magazine and IMHO they are much more useful. But then I am old, stuck in my ways and a dedicated 10mm wargamer, so not really their target audience!

      Delete
  6. The only thing I do find useful with a Kindle is that, very occasionally, there are books that are available only in electronic format (so there is no printed version).
    😀

    ReplyDelete
  7. A nice collection of new titles Steve and I totally agree about the benefit of books over electronic devices! Mark at 1866 and all that is about the only person I have come across who extolls the benefits of digital books - but then, he works in digital publication so he is biased! Not sure I whole heartedly agree with Geoff though - money spent on booze isnt a complete waste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. Our daughter who is glued to her phone, does all her studying online at Uni, still loves to read a physical book, rather than on her laptop or phone. Not sure why but good to see!

      Delete
  8. Hello there old chap,

    I was as pleased with the Burma Sherman book as you are with the Oman’s so everyone’s a winner! I am a physical book man but would not be without my Kindle or the Kindle app on my IPad. For me the advantages of the whole electronic thing are about practicality. My Kindle is the basic paper white version and has a great battery life making it really handy for travelling. I have used it on a two week holiday (sigh, remember those?) on a daily basis and only needed to charge it a couple of times at the most. It is also a great device for making use of things like Project Gutenberg. I have downloaded a whole pile of historical stuff for free that is not available in print or if it is is either hard to get hold of or very expensive. The Kindle app is great for anything that involves colour or maps.

    Nothing can be hat book smell though!

    All the best and thanks once again for the Burma book,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David. You make very good points about being able to access the Project Gutenberg stuff or stuff that is nigh on impossible to obtain. I didn't know you could use the Kindle on your laptop via an app, but then I'm not into that sort of thing. Very handy for maps though, especially if you can then print them out.

      I'm glad you like the Burma book and as you say, that makes us both winners:).

      Delete
  9. this was great, Steve. I'm a little late to the party here but I think books and wargamers are a natural fit. While I love the convenience of google for things like a quick uniform search you absolutely cannot beat holding a physical book in your hand.

    i use a kindle occasionally on my train ride home and there is something soulless when you get to the final "page" on a kindle vrs physically turning the page to the end of a real book! that's hard for me to explain but I completely agree with your sentiment here.

    another funny thing I'll say is that books have really pushed me into various directions of the hobby I otherwise never would have taken. IE I only game napoleonics now because of the Sharp novels, as those novels brought the warfare to life to me in a way that no other history book was able to for a 20-something year old young man. (it would be another 15 years before I read the "thunder on the danube" books which probably would have had the same effect).

    That was a long way of saying great post, and a nice haul of books you have there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I'm glad you enjoyed the post:). No problem on being late to the party, as the more Blogs I follow, the harder it becomes to leave replies 'on time'! First World problems and all that;).

      I understand your point about physically turning over that last page and closing the book, as it's very obvious that you've finished. With a digital version you obviously don't get the tactile feedback of closing the book and probably always wonder if there is one more page that you can't see on Kindle et al.

      Books can be 'dangerous' into leading us into new periods, but that's also part of the joy I think. One reason I've moved more towards ImagiNations is that I can game more historical actions but with fewer armies. Heresy to some but it works for me!

      Delete
  10. They should keep you busy for some time! Now best get on with the decorating. Boooo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray and yes they will keep me nicely entertained for sometime:). The decorating is trundling along at a steady pace, but it is something that needs to be done.

      Delete
  11. Digital stuff is great, particularly just in terms of what is now available via that means, but plunking down with a real book and having a good read still can't be beat. Excellent tomes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed and I couldn't agree more re: sitting down with a real book:)

      Delete
  12. You are well read Sir. Can't beat a good book and a comfy armchair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat and I completely agree re: the book and armchair:).

      Delete