Friday 26 November 2021

A Little Light Reading

I've always loved reading books for as long as I can remember, so it comes as no surprise to my family that for presents, I invariably turn to books as my first choice. I'm also at that age when really I have everything that I need and my lead mountain is already something that could appear on Ordnance Survey maps! 

So I thought I share some of the latest books that have been added to my to read pile, most are presents, but some came via an amazon voucher for some research work I did or simply because I wanted them and they were superb value.


Earlier in the year I bought 'Beneath the Lily Banner, the War of the Three Kings' by Barry Hilton for use with my League of Augsburg figures, that are sadly still in their bags. Not knowing much about the period, especially the war in Ireland, this book stood out as the perfect introduction to the conflict. So far it has been a fascinating read and I've been struck by how small many of the engagements were, with 20 infantry here, 30 dragoons there; perfect for some 'The Pikemen's Lament' sized games.

Apart from the obligatory history at school, the Russian Revolution is something that I only the basics of, augmented by the excellent Osprey books. This is a real weighty tome and will take quite some time to read, but he's a great writer and I'm sure I'll enjoy it and certainly be more knowledgeable by the end.

Over the past few years, I've taken a real interest in the Sicily campaign as it has so much to offer the wargamer. This book has been on my list for sometime and I've enjoyed the author's other works. Not sure when this will get read, but it must be near the top to be honest.

Having read some excellent ACW books by Stephen W Sears and 'Battle Cry of Freedom' by McPherson last year, I'm keen to broaden my knowledge of this conflict that I'm growing to love. So this book by Paddy Griffith has become a must have for my library. I'm really looking forward to what he reveals about the conflict.

Max Hastings is one of my favourite authors. I know not all people like him, saying he doesn't bring original research to the table, but by God he tells a good story and keeps you firmly interested from the first page. I saw this book reviewed on the Balkan Gamers Blog and again, the whole 'Secret War' is barely known by myself other than the oft spoken of Enigma machine, Bletchley Park etc. I'm certainly going to learn an awful lot I'm sure.

The War of the Roses. Well apart from the bare basics, I know very, very little. I'm hoping this will help me get to grips with all the toing and froing that went on. I'm also hoping it will give me some ideas for my ImagiNations wargames armies for the medieval period.

At only £5, this was too good to pass over on Amazon. A cursory glance has piqued my interest and Graham always has something of interest to offer in his rules. Whilst not solo friendly, I'm sure I can make them work. Time to dig out my wooden blocks and gridded board to give them a try.

Some of the prices for certain Osprey books are a tad crazy, but this came via the amazon voucher and wasn't too badly priced. The last book to complete my Russian Civil war collection, for now at least. If 'Trebian' publishes his work in progress RCW rules, then I'm sure this will get referred to a lot. In the meantime, a quick flick through will have to suffice.

Rather like Sicily 1943, the Balkans 1940 - '41 has become an area of interest to me over the years. There aren't that many English language sources for the wargamer or general historian, so this second book was eagerly snapped up as a 'surprise' birthday present.

Last but by no means least is this great Operation Sealion book, put together and published by John Curry, who lives not too far from me. I would dare to say a 'must have' for wargamers that fancy trying out this eternally fascinating (for the British it seems) 'what if?' This is a book that will be referred to many times in the future I'm sure and the rules contained therein, could easily be tweaked for other seaborne invasions, with a bit of thought. Sicily 1943 anyone?

I hope some of the books might have piqued your interest and as is obvious, they all did mine. Now as with so many things, finding time to read them is the issue. At least at this time of year, with little to do in the garden and variable weather, I try to sit down for half an hour or so each morning to read a chapter or two. Not a bad way to start the day.

On other matters, I've painted up some more cavalry for my mdf 'Wooden Top Wars' armies and have a scenario already prepped and ready to go over the weekend. I plan to try the same scenario with a variety of rulesets, subject to being allowed to leave the game set up on the dining table. Oh the travails of being a wargamer!

So until next time, stay safe and keep healthy.


22 comments:

  1. Steve, what a great smattering of subjects. I have liked that Barry Hilton has been able to use a 4 x 4 for quite a few of his scenarios.

    The one that most catches my eye is Paddy Griffiths Sealion. Spookily, just a few days ago, a friend sent me a YouTube link to do with the staging of Sealion by Griffiths and the ‘top brass’ very interesting. Here is a link.

    https://youtu.be/kenvVK3U7qc

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like to spread my interests Norm! It's great to see a set of rules that are quite happy to work on a small table, which is perfect for the likes of us but also fits in well with the campaign in Ireland.

    The video is great and gives a good idea of what's contained in the book. When I got the voucher it became a no-brainer to buy it and I'm glad I did, as it has plenty of background info plus two sets of rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great range of titles and subjects Steve but in one respect I think you are being a bit ambitious....it doesn't matter how many books I read on the Wars of the Roses, I still have no idea who was Yorkist and who was Lancastrian....they all seem to be balled Neville, Edward or Henry and have at least two titles each...sometimes it seems one person is fighting himself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are a good range of periods and I fear that I too will be none the wiser at the end of the WotR book. Even looking at the family trees at the start left me confused!

      Delete
  4. Steve - I always love it when wargamers discuss their book collections. Books are such an important part of the hobby. I didnt realize how much I relied on them until I didnt have my Napoleonic reference books! makes me want to do a post on my books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too find it great when other gamers discuss the books they're reading, the various books they have, as often we seem to have common core books and then new ones appear that pique our interest. I couldn't be without my books as I always have to have one at hand, even just to browse for 5 minutes or so. I hope you are able to do a post on your books just to see what you ahve and what might tempt me in the future:).

      Delete
    2. A Pair of Steves,
      Seeing a compatriot’s book collection is both a fascinating peek behind the curtain and an opportunity to discover new titles. I think it a useful for us all to share our libraries. Good idea!

      Delete
    3. Let's hope you can find the time to share some of your books Jon. As mentioned, it's always interesting to see what books other gamers have for certain periods.

      Delete
  5. Excellent selection

    Wars of the Roses is indeed confusing. I had been working on rules and scenarios for quite some time, based on an interest that goes back many years before I realised that there were 2 completely different 1st Earls of Pembroke one Yorkist and one Lancastrain. It can do your head in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the selection David. I imagine I may need to periodically lay down in a darkened room when reading the WotR book to let my poor brain rest. It's hard enough remembering which Hamilton is which in the Williamite Wars book I've got on the go at present!

      Delete
  6. Hi Steve.. Yes books are the life blood of our hobby. You certainly have an interesting range of subjects to explore, happy reading !!!! Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony. Compared to the relative dearth of good books in the 1970's, we are well and truly blessed at present with great writers who make history interesting and accessible.

      Delete
  7. Steve, this tranche of new book store offers up an eclectic mix of topical. The Balkans Osprey looks especially interesting and it has been so long since I last read Griffith’s book, i really don’t not recall his conclusions. I should pull it off the shelf for a refresher.

    S&S solo would be akin to playing one-player poker, in my view. Looking forward to reading how your solo trials work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eclectic sums it up rather nicely Jon. The Osprey book looks as good as the first one and if so, should provide plenty of gaming options for the conflict.

      Thanks for the thoughts on playing S&S solo and I will update my feedback on trial games as and when I get to play them.

      Delete
    2. Sheesh. I really ought to refrain from replying from the phone. So many autocorrect mishaps. Sorry...

      Delete
    3. Don't worry, we all get lots of auto corrected postings on our Blogs!

      Delete
  8. Books about history are always a good thing, "in my book".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to hear you've bought BLB. It's a great period to gameand I'm sure you'll find lots of inspiration from the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad I bought the rules Ray and the book is a pleasure to read. Alongside the Childs book it has given me plenty of ideas for games already. Just the small matter of getting some trial games in...

      Delete
  10. A fine selection in breadth and depth. I think that I am like you, read a bit at a time and slowly progress.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. I used to read a lot more, but home duties as a full time carer mean I tend to snatch half an hour here and there as time allows.

      Delete