Saturday 3 October 2020

Libertad! SCW Supplement

When BKCIV was released, it was announced around that time that there probably would be supplements to follow, given the space restrictions within the main rulebook. One of these was to be for the Spanish Civil War, a period that attracted me more or less from the off when I first started playing BKC I & II. Having put on demo games at Colours and played a variety of one off games over the years, this interest morphed into the A Very British Civil War fictional setting, with the timeframe similar to that of the SCW.

So when it was announced a month or so ago that the supplement was ready as a pdf and a hard copy would soon follow, I was a very happy bunny. Last week the hard copy was available and I duly ordered my copy, which arrived today.

The first thing that you notice is the very striking front cover which I love and I think captures the period very well. The supplement runs to 36 pages, so what do you get for your money? Well some images can be found below and then I'll run through the contents after:

 
The front cover that will certainly stand out when wargames shows return at some poitn in the future.

One of the scenarios inside with a great map by Henry Hyde.

The Army Lists.

A sample army list in the same format as the BKCIV rulebook.

 
 The supplement has been written by Rob Anderson and Mark Fry and I think they've done a fantastic job! Leon at Pendraken has given the supplement a lovely clean look to it so it a pleasure to look at. The the maps by Henry Hyde are beautifully done in his usual style and are clear to read whilst at the same time having a great look to them. So 10/10 for presentation.

The rules specific to the SCW all feel right and nothing jars which is good to see. The 'Improvised Street Barricades' rule I can see working equally well for WWII and beyond. The  'Line Commander' rules I'm not sure whether I'll use or not yet, as my current vogue for Company Commanders might make them less applicable for my games, but I'll have to have a proper read through first. Some Armies have 'Improvised Portees' which is a nice touch and again could transfer to early WWII. I think another 10/10 here.
 
There are five scenarios in the supplement, with a paragraph or two of background information, excellent OOB and as already mentioned, Henry's maps are great. Each scenario ends with the number of Turns to be played and Victory Conditions for both sides. These are so well presented and tempting, whether a large or small battle, that I'm keen to give one or two of them a run out soon. Once again 10/10 for the scenarios.

There are 11 Nationalist and 13 Republican Army Lists, ranging from the standard to the obscure for me. You are certainly spoilt for choice here, that's for sure. I will be using these alongside Bob Cordery's excellent SCW source book, 'La Ultima Cruzada'. All the lists can be used as a basis for AVBCW and some have nice additions, such as improvised portees, which I certainly want to make for my games. I think 10/10 for the sheer breadth and depth of the lists.

At the end of the supplement are two pages listing all of Pendraken's SCW range, which I think is rather useful to have to hand, rather than constantly referring to the internet for said ranges.

It will come as no surprise that this supplement comes highly recommended, whether as a pdf or hard copy, the latter being my preference everytime. At £6 I think this is excellent value and well worth the money. So if you like the SCW or the AVBCW, I think you will find much to enjoy in this supplement. Rumour has it that a Korean supplement may be in the offing in the future, but this is of less interest to me, but never say never! Until next time...

 

15 comments:

  1. Nice looking book! As for the cover, I would have enjoyed seeing one of the many fantastic propaganda posters from this conflict. They are works of art, themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the SCW posters are beautiful, ditto the general propoganda posters from WWII, particularly the Soviet ones.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, the Soviet propaganda posters are great. Workers unite! I have one Soviet poster showing a naval infantry submachine gunner. I imagine him storming ashore at the Little Land near Novorossiysk in '43.

      Delete
    3. A few years ago a UK art historian travelled to Russia and viewed lots of original posters, the lucky bugger!

      Delete
    4. I really like the propaganda posters and we did send a selection of them to our graphic designer, but when he came back with this cover we liked it too much to ask him to change it!

      Delete
    5. I can see why you chose it as it's a great image and one that doesn't detract from the 'Libertad!' masthead.

      Delete
  2. Love the colour maps and the spot colour used on the tables - looks excellent, especially at that price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry's maps are I think the best I've seen in any wargaming magazine and he's used his same style here. As you say, at £6 you really can't go wrong.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the review Steve, really glad that you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really nice Steve, looking forward to seeing some of the scenario's played through in the months ahead.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to try one of the scenarios out in the next week or too Stu.

      Delete
  5. SCW is a really interesting period with heaps of variety of troop types and nationalities, this looks like a very useful resource too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Variety is certainly one of the big attractions here and they've done a great job on the lists.

      Delete
  6. Agree wholeheartedly with your comments. For £6 great value! I'm sure for certain other rulesets it would be two or three times that cost.

    ReplyDelete