Thursday 10 December 2015

Leven Miniatures

With my foray into 'Black Powder' wargaming this year, courtesy of Dave Fielder, it soon became obvious that I needed to increase the amount of buildings that I put on the table. Normally I have kept the same size buildings as figures, which has worked well for my WWII games for many years. However I realised that this wouldn't work for 18thC - 19thC games. I had seen on the Pendraken forum that many members used one scale smaller, so in my case, 6mm buildings to go with 10mm miniautres. The pics posted looked great and so it was time for some research.

After have a good trawl through the options on offer, I settled upon the ranges from  Leven Miniatures. I was impressed by the ranges on offer, the details on the buildings as well as the extremely competitive prices. In the end I chose from a mix of ranges to give me buildings that would work in both the UK and Europe and cover from Pike&Shotte, through 'Black Powder' and into the 20thC.

I was extremely impressed by the buildings when I received them, having more detail that I initially thought. Scale wise they looked absolutely fine with my 10mm Pendraken figures and would allow me to give a nice feel of a BUA but on a relatively small footprint. Having had them for several months, I finally got around to painting some over the past few weeks. The first three buildings can be seen below. I added in some Commission Figurines 6mm mdf figures just to give a sense of scale. These are lovely miniatures but more on these in a future post.






So for anyone considering a range of buildings, I would wholeheartedly recommend that they check Leven Miniatures out. Mick is a very approachable chap with extremely good customer service. I aim to get some more buildings painted soon for use with both 'Honours of War' and 'Bloody Big Battles'.

14 comments:

  1. heheh I see you finally gave in to the appeal of the wooden soldiers. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have. You might also try the TBM waterloo range of buildings. Not only are they a very fine range of buildings but they also have a reduced footprint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the 'heads up' on the TBM range Michael. The mdf figures are great and I'm planning on purchasing some more to see if I can use them for some 1866 games. Naturally their will be some to form some Napoleonic units as and when time allows.

      Delete
  2. Good looking buildings and Very nice paintwork !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cracking stuff - both the figures and the buildings! Those figures on 60mm by 10mm bases?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toxic:). The figures are on 30mm x 15mm bases for use with Black Powder, when I get around to finishing enough of them!

      Delete
    2. 30mm? Wowzers, very tiny! But that's two bases together one each side of the road, isn't it, with four to a complete BP unit?

      Looks good - I have the MDF based for Blucher on big US poker sized bases; they paint up cracking!

      Delete
    3. Yep, two bases either side of the road, with four making a unit. That way they can form square, assault columns etc.

      Delete
  4. Nice buildings, though the tan coloured one looks a bit cross eyed!

    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I see what you mean Michael! Maybe any units in that building get a -1 to their die roll for shooting;)

      Delete
  5. I've had nothing but good experiences with Leven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good customer service will gaurantee repeat orders:)

      Delete
  6. Those look very nice Steve, not my scale but you have really picked out the detail and they are a great fit for the rest of your collection.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Stu. The sculpting is so nice it makes them very easy to paint.

    ReplyDelete