Saturday 10 October 2015

Oh the deafening flutter of butterfly wings...

Prior to our regular game last week, Dave and I were chewing the cud on wargaming in general. The conversation turned to friends in wargaming circles, and one of Dave's oldest is Walter of Commission Figurines . Now quite by chance I met Walter a few years ago at a wargames show (Warfare I believe) and was very impressed by his range of buildings. He was also a very pleasant chap to talk to. Then around a year or so ago, Robert de Angelis showcased some new 6mm mdf figures on his Blog

An example of some of Robert's superb painting. To my mind these make a fine body of men en masse.

Being old and infirm I didn't immediately connect these with Commission Figurines, but this year I saw these figures in the flesh so to speak at a show. To say they are superb does not really do them justice. Despite being made from mdf, they were superbly painted and at a gaming distance hard to tell from regular lead figures. I was tempted to buy them but managed to resist as they were advertised as 6mm and these days 10mm is my favoured size.

For some reason known only to God I was thinking about these whilst doing a spot of gardening this morning (I know my life is incredibly exciting). So I decided to check them out once again and was pleasantly suprised to see a comment that they are more like 8mm - 9mm in size. Now it was this what got the butterfly wings a beating. I love their slightly 'Pippin Fort' look and they are extremely good value, with 88 foot figures plus command costing a mere £2.00. To say I'm tempted is a bit of an understatement. 

Now I'm old enough and ugly enough not to dive in head first as I've made too many mistakes by doing this in the past. I'm going to get a few samples first to see how they look size wise and to have a go at painting them. After that then I'll be able to make a decision. 

Then to add insult to injury Pendraken have just announced that they have released a whole load of  Renaissance figures. I'm a poor weak soul when it comes to temptation but these will fit in with many of their existing ranges and will be perfect for some Italian Wars gaming. Given that the next issue of Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy is devoted to this 'period' I'm not sure how I will resist all of this temptation. Maybe it's time for me to go and lie down in a darkened room...



 

No comments:

Post a Comment