Tuesday 4 July 2023

Wargaming 'Risorgimento'

Well things have been somewhat quiet on the painting and gaming front here, owing to us in part having had the hottest June on record. We knew it had been warm and frankly like being on holiday in the Med for much of the time, which was rather nice to be honest, but a record breaker came as a bit of a surprise! So much of my time was spend gardening and keeping stuff alive and it was simply too hot to paint, assuming you could get if from the brush to the figure before it dried. 

However Blogging kept me in the loop so to speak which as ever is a big bonus, especially for those in my position. One of the joys is seeing what other Bloggers are up to and earlier in June, one such post sent me down an unexpected but rather enjoyable rabbit hole.

Italian Risorgimento
The Italian Risorgimento was briefly covered at school and college, with the focus always seeming to be on Garibaldi and his efforts to establish his global biscuit enterprise gain Italian independence. With my ongoing interest in the 1848 - 1871 period, I was happy to read Bob Cordery's post on a new book on the subject, but one that covers the Armies that fought throughout the wars for independence. An order was soon placed and despite it coming from Poland, it took two weeks to arrive!



But the wait was worth it as this is simply a wonderful book! If you read Bob's post above, you will see that in the comments loads of lovely 'what if's?' have been mooted, which has certainly caused the butterfly to flap rather frantically here. Luckily pretty much all the figures I currently have for my ImagiNations Armies will work really well for many of the units shown.

On the ImagiNations front, it did occur to me that they always seem, by and large, to be set in 'Germany' rather than anywhere else. Of course 'France' and the 'Low Countries' make the odd cameo, but somehow never 'Italy'. There is lots to offer here for the gamer and my little grey cells have been mulling things over for sure. But more on this another time.

Terrain for India and Far East
The above book did help kick start some gaming related activity, namely getting back to sorting things out for our planned 18thC India game at the Cotswold wargames Day in October. Now many of you will now I love scratch building stuff, sadly at the expense of actually painting figures, but it is something that is easy to fit in around parent/carer duties. 

The buildings contained herein look a bit dated now but there is plenty in there to inspire one, even in today's 3D dominated market. The Afghan hill fort is something I plan on making, or at least inspired by.

My paddy fields ready for paint, which is progressing nicely since this photo was taken.

A quick trial to make my doormat wheat fields look, well, more like wheat! Simply some coloured flock (looks like saw dust that has been dyed) glued to the top with pva glue. The sample worked well and now I have to figure out how to scale it up to make it easier to do my larger fields. A nice challenge for sure.


I have plans for some other bits'n'bobs for the table, many of which have been inspired by David of Tales From GHQ fame. He really does put on a good game, with lots of lovely little details and vignettes to delight the eye. If you've never visited his Blog, I highly recommend you do. I've found a 10mm tiger already and hope to scratch build some other things too, time permitting.

The Pile Of Shame
Well not quite but a real mix of stuff that I've brought down for priming so that I can paint them as and when the Muse is upon me. Lots of 'planes and AFV's which I've bought over the years, with the former rarely getting used in games but just lovely to have. Maybe it's the memory of making kits that makes we want to buy them?



What's Next?
Well the weather has finally turned and at last we have some much needed rain and cooler weather, which means I am at last returning to sorting out my figures etc. I'm trying to maintain my 18thC focus as even though the show is 4 months away, I know the time will fly by and I'll be left rushing at the end. I saw a Little Wars TV episode on painting 10mm figures a day or so ago, which I'm going to give a try to see if it helps speed things up for me. Time will tell. At least I will have plenty of free evenings now that Wimbledon has started, which means less Netflix watching which is all too easy to do.

There might be another FtF game at Chris Gregg's towards the end of the month, subject to SWMBO being OK after some dental work. As always I have plenty of ideas but just lack the mojo to actually put a game on. After all it's a hobby so I'm not sweating about it and it's time will come for sure.

TTFN.


20 comments:

  1. Good to hear things are still ticking over mate. Really like the wheat field experiment. Top stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the wheat field Mark:). Hopefully it will look really good full scale. First I have to get some grease proof paper from SWMBO!

      Always ticking over in the background with ideas etc, so even if not gaming, plenty to keep me occupied:).

      Delete
  2. As always, lots of interesting stuff gong on in your world Steve! Is that summer over for the UK do you reckon, or is the sun just taking a short break?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, my grey cells are always coming up with ideas, campaigns, scenery I'd like to make etc. I just wish I could bottle them up and sell them (or monetise in today's speak)!

      Summer is taking a short break and more normal for the UK, although a touch cooler than normal. As a kid 3 days of hot weather would lead to a thunderstorm and the weather would break, but not these days it seems. Hopefully we will still get some good sun to ripen the tomatoes and sweetcorn, as well as some sweet peppers which are a first for us.

      Delete
  3. Like the wheat field experiment Steve. Looking forward to seeing it scaled up. And the Italian imagi-nation idea sounds like it could be fruitful.
    And what is it about the Risorgimento and biscuits? As well as Garibaldi, France acquired a packet of Nice after giving the Viennese a Whirl in 1860. And of course the Bourbons were crushed in the Kingdom of the 2 Sicilies in 1861.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that made me chuckle Chris and I can see some Biscotti Wars on the horizon! Fingers crossed the wheat filed will look as good as I hope and be durable too.

      Delete
  4. Good to see you are busy Steve, with several holidays I have Lao been quiet on the blog. Like the look of your Wheatfield…….and lots of planes to get painted up 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been nice to get back to some painting (and cooler weather) after so long. A fruitful morning priming a load of light cavalry and infantry for India. The planes may have to wait whilst I push on with the India project, but a good back up for when you want to paint something different:).

      Delete
  5. Good to see the extreme heat has broken for you. The high heat is expected to return here by the weekend. I am driving into the High Desert this weekend so not looking forward to even more high temps.

    I also bought Esposito’s latest book. Looks good on first inspection but I need more time to fully assess its usefulness given all of the references already stocked in my library.

    Likewise, good to see hobby motivation returning for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the humidity that hits you here, plus the fact that it is irregular so you never get a chance to get acclimatised. In Nigeria I used to play cricket when it was well over 30 degrees C in the blazing sun and be OK, because I was a lot younger and was used to it. Funny to see the salt from your sweat on your arms at the end of a game!

      I see the book as giving me ideas for unit names, uniform colours etc plus of course some broad background info. This is the first Risorgimento book I've bought and I can see some more being added at some point to flesh things out.

      As mentioned to Matt above, it's nice to get back to some painting and modelling. I don't force it so when I'm in the mood I find it very therapeutic, such as today.

      Delete
  6. Very interested in the wheat and looking forward to seeing how it upscales in practical terms. October will no doubt be with is too quickly! So early preparation can be nothing but good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm and I hope it does scale up as planned. With some warm and sunny weather due tomorrow, I may give a small field a go. Getting the glue on is actually the trickiest part, famous last words.

      Yes October will come around all too quickly, so glad the weather has turned which has motivated me to get the brushes out.

      Delete
  7. Sorry - Mr. Anonymous is me! ;-0 norm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange, this comment came through but the one above needed approving? For a moment I thought you were pretending to be Chris above! The wonders of technology...

      Delete
  8. I always enjoyed making terrain way more than painting miniatures. So I don't see it as at the expense of painting miniatures. Painting miniatures is just a necessary evil. Good luck with the ongoing projects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew. I enjoy painting AFV's, Infantry and Artillery are just about OK, but Cavalry I hate! Even so I would never get someone else to paint my stuff, famous last words...

      Delete
  9. The wheat looks great- also interested to see if it scales up as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The weather has been a bit wet here, so no chance to get a scaled up version done to see how it looks:(.

      Delete
  10. Keep up the good work Steve, much looking forward to seeing your game at CWD. Any chance I could have a look inside your Ian Weekly "bible" please when you visit in a few weeks? We could both bow in reverence together in homage to one of the great terrain makers! Chris G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris! I'll certainly try to remember to bring the book along for you to peruse. As mentioned even though 3D printing and a wider range of materials to make things make it seem dated, it is still a wonderful resource and with a lovely charm to it:).

      Delete