Sunday 22 January 2023

France 1940 Campaign - Initial Thoughts

At some point over the Xmas and New Year hols my mind turned to trying to run a BKCII campaign based upon the Invasion of France 1940. I had been thinking of Operation Barbarossa, but given that I had pretty much all the British painted and ready to go, it would be easier to go down the French route, as I would only have to paint up the Germans. This is still quite a task mind you but with a campaign in the offing, this would hopefully focus my mind.

Lately whilst dealing with back and cold issues, I have been doing some background reading. Now most books focus on the breakthrough at Sedan and its aftermath, as one could argue that it is the defining action of the campaign. However little is given over to the Belgian, Dutch and British actions in comparison. I did manage to find a book that covered the latter in some detail (see below) but would still like to read up on the Belgian and Dutch at some point, so if anyone knows of some good books, please let me know!


An old book but still a favourite of mine, that gives a good basic overview of the campaign, but also the build up that led to it. Filled with lovely illustrations and some nice snippets of info, it is worth getting IMHO.

A superb book that puts the whole campaign into perspective from the German side and explodes many myths. Sadly it covers little of the actions in Holland and Belgium, but is just what you need for Sedan and the breakouts after that. The only downside is that the publisher did not translate the maps which are in German. A minor quibble though.

This really is an excellent book which gives a great overview of the campaign and especially all the C&C issues that dogged the Allies. Highly readable and with a good focus on the British actions, which is naturally useful for my plans.

A rather battered book, but still good and a very readable account of the British actions during the campaign, with info that is hard to find elsewhere. The detail can be a bit overwhelming once the troops start their retreat towards Dunkirk, but full of the sort of info I want and need for my campaign planning.



With enough reading having been done over the past few weeks, really the question is how best to approach and run this campaign, whilst keeping it playable, enjoyable and within the constraints of using BKCII as the ruleset? So in no particular order, I've far come up with the following main points to be considered.

The overiding issue is actually how best simulate the campaign over a given number of games? One simple route would be to use a board game to generate the actions that might be suitable to transfer to the table top. This is something that Norm Smith has done successfully with other periods and if I had a dedicated games room, would certainly be worth considering. However I don't so as much as I might like to give this a try, it will have to wait for another time maybe. I could use the Warplan 5.5 maps as I did last year with my Operation Market Garden campaign, which worked very well, but did require a lot of paperwork on my behalf. Whislt this is no bad thing, given the nature of the campaign once the inital breakthroughs has happened, my thoughts are that this would not work as well. I have not discounted it just yet though.

My current thinking is to use the standard scenarios in the BKCII rulebook as a good starting point for the actions, alongside narrative driven outcomes based upon what happened historically. So for example the first action might be an Encounter type game based upon the British armoured screen in front of the Dyle Line bumping into the advanced elements of the German forces. After that a Hasty of Deliberate Attack on the Dyle Line itself, with a Breakthrough action thereafter and so on. This is certainly much easier to run and to generate a feel for the campaign based upon the very confused nature of the fighting. So I will do some more work on this to see if it still fits the bill for what I'm after.

Whilst the British started at the Gort Line during the 'Phoney War', when advancing there were calls to halt at the Escaut once the breakthroughs at Sedan had come to light, rather than pushing on to the Dyle as planned. It would certainly be interesting to see what might have happened if the British has stayed put in their relatively strong positions, but this doesn't take into account the fact that the Belgians and Dutch could have been defeated piecemeal first. Also the French were fighting the last War and so were expecting a drawn out campaign and din't want to fight on their border, where they industrial areas and Paris would be in range of German artillery and aircraft. Although an interesting 'what if?' that might be better played on a boardgame, for the moment I am going down the historical route and starting along the Dyle.

As much as I like to field air support during my games, for the British sadly this is rather limited and certainly on available for the very early stages of the battle. Whilst my Fairy Battle and Bristol Blenheim sit in front of me waiting to be painted, they will only get a cursory part in the action, unless some spectacular successes keep them in the campaign. Likewise for the Germans their Stukas will be absent early on but play an increasingly great role as the campaign unfolds and if and when they breakthrough the Dyle Line. I may take some artistic license with both sides depending upon how things unfolds, which is the advantage of a narrative campaign played solo!

Brtish tanks and 'Penny Packets'. I hadn't realised how late on in the campaign that the British armour arrived and in pretty limited numbers. Broadly speaking therefore the Light Tanks will be in action first, followed by some Infantry tanks and then finally the Cruisers. Not many will make it to the table due to logistic issues alongside mechanical ones. In BKCIV they have a neat rule where if any Unreliable tank moves move than a half move, it has to test to see if it breaks down or not. This is a simple way to replicate the issues faced when using British tanks. 

In contrast the Germans will have plenty of armour later on, but initially it will be limited to Armoured Cars and a few Light Tanks. Once the breakthroughs have taken place, then the heavier German tanks will be able to make an appearance, but not in too great a number, given that most of the Armoured Divisions were to the South and around the Sedan breakout and drive to the coast.

I hadn't realised that the British mixed up their Brigades in terms of quality, with some having 2 Regular and 1 Territorial Battalion, or the reverse. This caused issues with C&C as well as having poorly equipped and trained troops in the frontline and the inherent problems that that caused. With BKCII this is easily covered by the C&C built into the game and the quality ratings of the troops that can be fielded.

Against this of course you have generally speaking extremely well trained and commanded German troops, although at times they had their off days. As with the above, this is easy to sort out in BKCII.

One of the hardest things to replicate is the fact that whilst the British tended to hold their position along the Dyle, their flanks were constantly being turned as the French and Belgian troops withdrew, often without warning. Later on things stabilised but for the initial engagements it was a tricky business. But I need to bear in mind that the Germans tried frontal assaults to start with the more often that not failed, with them then learning to attack junctions between forces and to exploit the opportunities thus created.

Added to the above was the fact that the British had to defend far too a broad frontage, often twice as long or more than recommended for a Battalion or Brigade. So when along the Dyle Line, they should be quite far apart and with little defensive positions such as pill boxes or barbed wire from which to fight. Added to this was the complete confusion of C&C almost from the off, with some units having no radios at all!

Whilst the Fallschirmjager were used in Holland, they weren't against the British, but I must admit I am tempted to include them at some point, either for a small airborne drop or as general ground troop support. Stretching things too far? Possibly but again this is the advantage of a narrative approach.

We all know of the pityful plight of the refugees during the campaign, but I hadn't quite appreciated how much of a problem they caused to the British trying to move back from the Dyle as well as to units moving up in support. Again BKCIV has some optional rules for these so will check them out. 5th Columnists were an issue too, not massively so and I think using the Sniper rule is the easiest way to cover this, but only when in or near BUA's.

I hadn't realised that the British troops arrived in ports as far away as Cherbourg and Nantes, with their supply dumps far back from the Belgium frontier. This caused major logistical problems when trying to bring up Corps level assets and below. So quite often the British artillery had limited stocks of ammo or that the 2pdr ATG was released for use until quite late on, when it was too late for them to make any real difference. In BKCII the Dispersed Artillery covers this quite well and limits could be placed on how often an artillery unit might be able to fire. For Divisional and Corps level assets, then this is easy to do by having them appear and certain parts of the campaign.

To my mind the trickiest thing to do is to replicate the very confused nature of both the fighting and the overall view from the Allied side as to how the campaign was actually unfolding. Along side this one needs to take into account the German fear, often overidden or simply ignored, of their open left flank etc. My thought it to use suitable Random/Chance cards that fit in with each game as the campaign unfolds. I think it is simple to implement yet captures the nature of events at anyone time. Some thoughts need to go into these of course to get it right and not too intrusive so as to alter the game too much.

Well that's enough to be getting on with for now. My priority first and foremost is to paint some German troops and a few extra AFV's before I can kick things off. Terrain wise I'm OK but if the weather permits then I might make a few bits'n'pieces to add to the look of the campaign. Hopefully it will warm up so that I can get some priming done!

TTFN.

24 comments:

  1. Steve, this next venture sounds exciting. My suggestion is to narrow the focus of your 1940 campaign and then find a boardgame suitable for running the admin for you. You will want to find a boardgame that has an accompanying VASSAL module so that the campaign can be run and administered without having to set anything up. Many VASSAL modules include rules and charts/tables. Many publishers provide Living Rules on their websites too. If you want suggestions, try searching on Boardgame Geek or ask a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. Good shout on searching for a suitable boardgame to aid my efforts.

      Delete
  2. Hi Steve...Sounds like this will be an exciting series of battles. Can't wait to see pictures of the action especially the various early war vehicles....Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony and I hope the battles turn out to be as much fun as I'm hoping they will be. Lots of Early War AFV's will certainly be making an appearance, with possibly some French ones thrown in for the colourful splash!

      Delete
  3. Some interesting thoughts. The only boardgame that I have played for France 40 that had a quasi tactical element, was Stonne ‘40 by The Gamers. It might be worth looking that up on Vassal to see whether there are any suitable scenarios to base a set-up on. The rules are complex for a ‘visiting’ player and the only thing I can recall from my game is giving up after an hour of trying to work out the line of sight rules in what was extensively wooded sloped terrain!

    It may be worthwhile to research a division to play the game from a divisional diary perspective and run the campaigns as (say) 5 days with 10th Panzer Division etc.

    Blitzkrieg by Lloyd Clark is presently available for the Kindle as a download for a fiver (I use the Kindle app on the iPad). I have the paperback and it looks to be a ‘wargamer friendly’ read, suitable for scenario design.

    re Fallschirmjager - you have them already, which is a bonus, but I suppose as part of the ‘what if’, one would have to consider what might have happened at the place where they really fought, could their absence be accommodated i.e. whatever job they did, could another formation have done that? Or do they ‘need’ to be at their original deployment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a quick look at 2nd Chance Games and nothing seemed suitable, as they were at Corps or Division level counters, which is kind of to be expected given the size of the campaign. Others seem to be based just around Sedan, which again I'm not surprised at.

      My aim is to sort of follow a Brigade over 5 games, which would probably equate to 5 days, by which time we are into the canal battles and beginnings of the retreat to Dunkirk. I'll check out Clark's book as I like him as a writer.

      Good point on the FJ, as after the attacks on Holland and giving them time to re-organize, they would likely have not been of much use to the campaign.

      Delete
  4. You certainly have your background reading sorted out and I look forward to seeing how you translate this to a campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. All of the books contain useful snippets of info that are perfect for us wargamers.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you have a good plan so far Steve (perhaps they could’ve used you “back in the day”).
    What will you consider to be success for the British? Merely to hold back the Boche for a particular period of time? Or to withdraw from the battlefield with limited losses?
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geoff. Given the at times shocking C&C at all levels down to Battalion, I'm amazed that the British, French and Belgian units did manage to retreat and form some cohesive defensive positions. If they hadn't then there would have been no 'Miracle at Dunkirk', which doesn't bear thinking about.

      Success for the British (and equally for the Germans) I haven't quite figured out yet. I think limiting losses is the most likely route as Pyrrhic victories here won't be of much use. Something I need to spend more time on for sure.

      Delete
  6. Good luck with this project. It sounds like a lot of work. I’d be no good at it. If it’s a solo campaign I wouldn’t think I was worth the effort and if for other players I would constantly complain that they don’t thank me enough. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew. It seems a lot of work, but to me, once the initial reading and research is done, it is relatively easy to do after that. Even though this one is solo and therefore easier, I still enjoy the research effort which gives me enjoyment and helps place the campaign in a believable setting, if that makes sense?

      Delete
  7. Good luck getting that arranged. I think that a narrative campaign is well-suited to getting the flavour of the campaign; I think one could pick a representative action to show all the different phases without too much difficulty. The OH is also worth a look: https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/UK/UK-NWE-Flanders/UK-NWE-Flanders-3.html I would like to do a 1940 campaign with some meaningful strategic choices in there but it is quite hard to do, since all the actions were somewhat inter-related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JWH. I've been jotting down some guide scenarios this morning, using the broad actions that the BEF were involved in until they coalesced around Bethune and St Omar. This gives me 5 games which I think will be more than enough for me. As you say it is quite tricky to fit in the strategic situation into a campaign, unless you go down the boardgame route. I'm hoping my narrative type campaign will alllow me to cover this in an easy way.

      I have the ibiblio article bookmarked already and will be referring to it as well in the next day or so, but thanks for the reminder:).

      Delete
  8. On the books front I would recommend Dünkirchen 1940 by Robert Kershaw. It is pretty recent and once again looks at the German viewpoint. I also rate his book War without Garlands which is one of the best books on the Eastern front I have read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kershaw is one of my favourite authors, so will check this book out. His 'War Without Garlands' is just superb!

      Delete
  9. This looks like it will be another little winner of a campaign Steve, but reading your ideas gives me the impression you expect the games to mirror reality ie you expect the British to lose and be forced back each time. What if the dice don't cooperate, and the Brits win the first two games decisively...that will throw your narrative off script?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it will live up to my expectations Keith. In the opening engagements, the British didn't do too badly overall, but the German breakthrough at the Gembloux Gap alongside the Belgians falling back on their left, meant that they had to start withdrawing pretty soon after they had arrived. So I'm trying to reflect this but at the same time give the British a chance in terms of gaining more victory points than the Germans each game. There might be the chance of a counter-attack as per Arras, depending upon how it all unfolds. Still not fully resolved but I want it to be a contest rather than a German parade.

      Delete
  10. Really interesting idea and project Steve. My thoughts have been turning to a campaign as well although as I have the figures I was thinking of Barbarossa, which is why I was so interested in Norm’s recent posts on possible board games to use for the basis. That said I generally steer towards narrative campaigns. Lots of food for thought here , thank you 👍 will watch with interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. This time of year I find campaigns work well before the better Spring weather arrives and I spend more time outdoors, which means I tend to go for one off games then. As mentioned at the start of the post, Barbarossa was my first thought, as it's easier to replicate for a campaign compared to France 1940, for the reasons already mentioned.

      BTW Netflix has a film (or series?) called 'Narvik' which looks interesting and given your current Norwegian campaign, I think this will be of interest to you. I'm going to give it a go in the next day or so...

      Delete
  11. Interesting stuff Steve, it seems a bunch of us are turning towards campaigns, I found the Platoon Forwards mechanism quite good for the broader battles, I am just working on an idea using the old Fighting Fantasy mechanism where players will gain advantages/disadvantages for battlefield decisions and advancements in their career for certain actions.
    Still plenty of work to do, but your post was rather timely.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu. Campaigns certainly rpovide a richer gaming experience IMHO and I think lockdown pushed many of us in this direction. So many ways to approach these, which is great. Currently trying to keep it relatively simple and narrative based.

      Delete
  12. This is really going to be one to watch. I've read the Sebag-Montefiore book and loved it. I really got a sense that I could use it to recreate small actions on the table with Chain of Command or Bolt Action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it lives up to your expectations Richard! There are so many small actions that could be fun to play. WS&S issue 120 has a bunch of scenarios for this campaign if that's of interest to you?

      Delete