Wednesday 17 August 2022

Colours 2022

As Summer begins to wane my mind tends to move away from the garden and back towards wargaming, as the former needs little attention now whilst the latter most certainly does. Also I feel mentally it's time to focus back on painting, gaming etc as the nights begin to draw in and the show season kicks off near me.

Colours was always the start of Autumn wargaming for me and certainly tended to fuel my interest and give me ideas for new projects etc. This was aided slightly by the local IPMS show in Thornbury in August adding a wargames element, which was good. For some reason there was no advertising for this and so I missed it as it was a week or so ago. Shame as it's a nice little show with the added bonus of loads of superb models on display. Then my good friend Keith Flint began to organise the Cotswold Wargames Day, which whilst not a show per se, kicked off around the same time as Colours. So as you can see early September can be a busy month on the wargames front

This year Colours 2022 is back on Saturday 10th September after being postponed for obvious reasons in 2021. Normally I would not hesitate in attending, but with the current fuel price issue, inflation and cost of living rises that we are all having to deal with, frankly I had to give this some thought as whether I could justify it or not. I know this may sound mad to some but it is the harsh reality for us as a family and many others for sure. To help me decide I checked out what games were on and what traders were attending, but really it's the game that swing things for me, given my current desire to stick with a few core periods, projects and rulesets etc.

Whilst there are no competition games this year, there are some demo games, but maybe less than in previous years? Also there is free entry to help with the issues outlined above and to encourage attendance. Obviously if no one goes then the shows die, which would be a crying shame. Given that some have and others are likely to, it imperative to attend them if we are able to. Anyway, back on track and the following two games really caught my eye:

Bruce Weigle will be putting on his superb Battle for Malta campaign which I saw courtesy of the Little Wars TV chaps on Youtube (clivk the link). I've had the pleasure of meeting Bruce before and chatting with him at previous shows, so to say I'm a tad excited he is putting on a game again is a massive understatement!

Another game that is getting my creative juices flowing is the Battle of Pakozd by the Oxford Wargames Society using Chris Pringles superb Bloody Big Battles rules. Lately the 1848 period has really caught my fancy and I eagerly await his planned scenario book for the Hungarian War of Independence. He has also published the first of two books on the conflict that I hope to check out at the show.

Honestly these two games instantly made we want to go to the show and SWMBO was more than happy for me to have a day of quality me time (or maybe she was just glad to get me out of the house...) which is a rare thing these days, what with being a full time carer and all that.

I imagine that after a quick wander around the show, looking at the book sellers and chatting with Leon at the Pendraken stand, most of my time will be spent on these two tables, if they'll have me of course! Hopefully I will get to bump into a few familiar faces (but not rucksacks) and chew the cud as we tend to do when we meet up. After some 3-4 years since the last show I'm really looking forward to attending once again. Let's hope it's not too busy in the sense of having space to move around, but with no competition games, I think it will be OK. Maybe I'll see some of you there, if not I'll take some pics and post thoughts on the day once I'm back home.

Until next time, stay safe and keep healthy.

21 comments:

  1. Steve, good to see that you will be out for the at least one event on the early show circuit. Be sure to report back after the event. Weigle's tables are marvels in miniature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to going Jon and have put the date in on the family calendar, so I can't be double booked! Bruce's tables are a joy to behold for sure. He is also a true gent and a pleasure to talk to on a wide variety of topics.

      Delete
  2. Free entry at COLOURS - I'm tempted. I went a few years ago but don't go to shows much these days but you may have got the juices going again.
    Once again please pass on my appreciation of Grymauch's latest - the Battle of Sanlucar. I really enjoyed seeing a Spanish army in a fairly unhealthy position being fought as though the outcome was actually up for grabs, although the result rang very true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope you can make it Rob and who knows, we may even meet up. I'll be wearing a red carnation in my buttonhole and carrying a copy of The Times;).

      I'll pass on your comments to Jon re: his game. Shame Blogger is still causing issues for you and it does for me on one Blog for some reason.

      Delete
    2. Thanks - it is frustrating sometimes.

      Delete
  3. I’m in Sheffield, so Colours is a tad too far South for me. ☹️
    In the not-too-distant future I will be attending Chillcon 2022 which is this coming Saturday (20 August). Fortunately it’s a show barely 15 minutes drive away - so travel costs kept to a minimum. It’s more a general “gaming” show, but still has enough wargames specific stuff to make it worthwhile. Plus I like to support a “local” show.
    In October I intend to go to either The Other Partizan at Newark or to Fiasco in Leeds. Whether I choose Newark or Leeds will depend on what traders are attending and what games there are. And how many £££ I have left… 😤
    I hope you enjoy Colours - it will be good to “dip a toe” and test the water as we head towards what is now the new normal…
    And remember Steve - if SWMBO is graceful enough to let you have some “you time” then there’s every chance you will need to reciprocate.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the shows I'd like to visit, such as the Joy of Six, are simply too far away too Geoff. I filled the car up today and I reckon to fill the tank completely would cost around a £100 at present! So like many I'm having to pick and choose where I might be able to go.

      Luckily I'm dropping my wife off at friends in London whilst I take our son to the Excel arena for a Pokemon tournament. The diversion for her adds another couple of hours to the journey time, so I've done my good deed in advance as it were;).

      Delete
  4. I wanted to do a show or two again this year. I missed Attack thanks to Covid but Colours is on the list because it’s easy to get to. Like you, though, the pressures are building and I’m not sure I can justify the petrol money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems strange to have to make these choices now, but then I remember the hyper inflation of the 1970's so it's something our parents had to deal with. Let's hope you can make it but like many I'm sure it is a luxury they might not be able to afford.

      Delete
  5. Enjoy your day and immersion in some quality hobby time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm and I'm looking forward to it already:).

      Delete
  6. Good to hear you're getting to a show after these last couple of years. Just had a quick look at the traders. H&R and Pendraken. Hmmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd missed H&R are there, so I'd better get my thinking cap on for some Cold War forces! Pendraken is always a constant temptation...

      Delete
  7. Good luck with the show Steve...it's about 45 years since I went to my last UK show, maybe I will manage one some day although I kind of doubt it. Fully respect your comments re affordability, we went through about twenty years of three kids, one who was profoundly (medical speak) disabled and my wife a permanent stay at home mum/care giver, so money was pretty tight a lot of the time! Not that I didn't already have more than enough stuff, but most of us generally want more, don't we?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith and a bit tricky for you unless you can combine with with a big family holiday. For many years my wife was a full time house wife (home maker is the current term I believe) so that she could look after our son. Like you this had financial consequences but we were happy with the choice we made. I always want more books but, famous last words, am pretty happy with my lead mountain and the parts of it I will sell off in the future.

      Delete
  8. Colours is not one I would go to - distance etc., but seeing a Bruce Weigle game is high end temptation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it hadn't been for Bruce attending and the Oxford chaps, then I might not have bothered. I rarely buy much from the show other than the odd per-order, so given the costs already mentioned, it would have been hard to justify.

      Delete
  9. Hi Steve....Strangely I have been thinking of attending my first ever wargame show this year. Colours was one of those I have been thinking about. It's a long way but they all seem to be....thats what comes from living in the middle of nowhere....My other thought was Campaign at Milton Keynes. Any advice ??? or should I attend both !!!! Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firstly I'd check to see what games are on offer for both shows; ditto traders, but I doubt the latter will be of much interest to you, other than possibly the book sellers. Colours has a very popular B'n'B table that is normally more reminscent of a huge rugby maul early on, but does quiten down later on.

      I like the Colours venue as it's very bright and airy being part of the Newbury racecourse stands aond on 3 levels (IIRC). Only downstairs at basement/ground level does it feel a bit busy as most of the traders are located there. I've never been to the Campaign show so can't offer any feedback on that.

      There is The Other Partizan show in Newark on October I think that might be closer to you. That is very popular and full of wonderful large scale games and figures, with some smaller ones too. Mainly an eye candy show to me with tables frankly that you could rarely put on at home, which is what I prefer to see, but there is always lots to look at and to be inspired by.

      Hope this helps and if you do go to the show, let me know and we can see if we can meet up.

      Delete
  10. Glad you are able to make a show despite the crazy cost of things these days. Hope you have fun and the juice will be worth the squeeze. 😀
    I’ve always been envious of the UK with their plentiful shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew. We forget how lucky we are to have shows only a few hours drive away for large parts of the population and at various times of the year.

      Delete