Sunday 15 May 2022

Operation Mercury, The Battle for Crete 1941

At the end of my recent Operation Cygnet Campaign, Jon Freitag made a passing comment about wargaming Operation Mercury. I thought nothing of it but looking for something to read that evening, I picked out an Osprey campaign book on this that I'd bought at Colours many years ago. (My on going back problems mean that reading in bed is not as easy as before, so this sort of book is ideal).



Having flicked through it over several nights, ideas began to formulate as how best I might game this, given that it's something I've pondered in the past. Whilst the Osprey book is good, I felt I needed more information if I were to actually to give this a go. So after some searching on Google, I ordered Beevor's book.


I picked this up for the princely sum of £2.46, inc p&p!


The book was everything I hoped it would be and I very quickly read it through in a matter of days. Having finished it I remembered the following books in my library that had sections Crete. I haven't read them through in detail, but glancing at them they should provide another useful view of the campaign.


Not one of his better books to be honest, but still a good read.

The same could be said for this!



So with some reading done, my thoughts turned as to how best approach this as a campaign. Naturally there are plenty of options, from a purely historical re-fight through to a 'what if?' approach. Both have their merits and currently I'm toying with a mix of both. A few thoughts I've had so far:

  • Do I try and play out the whole campaign, or just one of the major actions, with the other actions sorted out off board? The whole campaign is pretty unrealistic to be honest and would be best done via a boardgame. This naturally gives the option to zoom in on various actions that would transfer nicely to the tabletop. 
  • How best to replicate the actions of the Allies? The Allied C&C was pretty shocking from start to finish. Beevor's book is very useful in that it gives the Ultra decrypts upon which a lot of the decisions were based upon, especially the pre-occupation with a major seaborne landing. In BKCII terms, giving the Allies a CV 7 or possibly lower, would help replicate on field C&C, but at a higher levels some thought needs to be given to movement of reserves etc.
  • How best to replicate the actions of the Germans? Again, some interesting decisions to be made here, with options for a concentrated Maleme drop as opposed to the dispersed one ordered by Goering, plus the issue of actually flying in the units over several days.
  • The naval aspect was one that was well covered by Beevor and naturally favours off table resolution. I was surpised at how many ships the British lost later on in the campaign to pure air attack, which could be factored in to the attempt by the Germans to bring in their heavier materiel and re-inforcements by sea. Something to ponder on for sure.

I'm very much in the exploratory phase at present, but the recent reading has given me much to think upon. I know for sure that I would need to paint up more of my Fallschirmjager for this campaign, but luckily they are based and primed, so not too much of an issue if I got my butt into gear! I have plenty of other stuff in the pipeline already, but this is something I would hope to be able to play out in some shape or form come the Autumn and Winter when the majority of my gaming takes place. 

So as my little grey cells whirr away, stay safe and keep healthy!

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I thought that this might evoke a positve response Jon;).

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Steve. More power to your little grey cells Steve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. The little grey cells are a bit fuzzy this morning as I came down with a cold yesterday:(.

      Delete
  3. Ahhhh. Decisions, decisions, decisions… That’s gaming for you. The good thing is - there’s no wrong answer. We play these games because we want to and because we enjoy them.
    I’d be tempted to “play” the Germans, but have the allies (mostly) follow a pre-determined plan.
    Would your allied troops be British or Commonwealth? You could even use Greeks. I’m not even sure if there are any 10mm WW2 Greek miniatures, but surely someone must make suitable proxy figures. Still, if you have to buy any “extra” figures then you need to be sure it will be worth your time & effort to get them tabletop-ready.
    Take care, keep safe.
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My intent is most likely to play the Germans and have the Allied forces follow a pre-determined plan, given their lack of ability/wish to counter-attack early on when it would have most likely turned the battle. A tricky balance to get right becuase if the Allied troops had defended the main landing sites as advocated by a junior officer who had been on the island for some 6 months, then the Germans wouldn't stand a chance and so there would be little to be gained from gaming it, unless you fancy a 'splat-a-rat' type contest, which I don't.

      The Allied troops will follow historical OOB, so Anzac and Greek troops, plus I even plan to add in Cretan irregulars as required. Luckily I had based up some 'civilian' troops for a planned AVBCW campaign as I was reading beevor's book, so these will be used for the Cretans, which could be fun.

      Delete
  4. Great to see this - a very nice post. I have been thinking of the campaign myself for some time. I had in mind to use 'Field of Battle ww2' (a sensible version of Piquet) where units are companies - though I'm also considering bath tubbing this and treating units as battalions. I think I might get half the island on a table that way.
    You've inspired me to look at this again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I'm glad the post has prompted you to give this campaign another look:).

      Delete
  5. That sounds really interesting. Doing true combined arms campaigns as miniatures battles is a very exciting concept but quite difficult to pull off, I imagine. WW2 campaigning is not like a lot of other periods IMHO and my own experiments have been very limited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JWH. The combined arms approach is more difficult for sure, even off board artillery requires some careful thought to try and get it right. Luckily my recent BKCII campaigns have given me enough to go on for this planned campaign. Whether it works or not remains to be seen!

      Delete
  6. This campaign seems pretty well suited to a solo effort a la recent Operation Cygnet Steve. Also the nature of it would reduce some of the combined arms complexities I would think as the Brits had very limited support available and the Fallschirmjaegers, by the nature of their role, even less - except airpower! My mate Julian and I did part of this campaign over a decade ago but we used an extremely strange set of Canadian rules which operated at a strategic level - one tank = an armoured company, that sort of thing, and I personally did not enjoy it much! (that was more about the rules than the scenarios of course)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a campaign that feels more suited to solo play, given the very static nature of the Allied response. Limited support to start with will be interesting, with the Germans needing to capture say Maleme early on to allow them to bring in more men and heavier materiel. Plenty of interesting options for the wargamer for sure.

      Delete
  7. You sound well read in the subject Steve. For small scale gaming scenarios you could try reading James Holland fictional Blood of Honour. Think of a Richard Sharp but set in Crete in May 1941.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well read might be pushing it Pat, but I do love researching a project! Thanks for the Holland recommendation:).

      Delete
  8. Looks like you've been doing your homework Steve. Doing a campaign is the dream, yet so much to consider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The homework has been fun, I must admit. Campaigns are the aim of my games these days, but they do take a lot of work, hence more of an Autumn and Winter project.

      Delete
  9. Steve, I have the Battleground Rules 'Tobruk' supplement, which has a significant section on Crete. Let me know if you want to borrow it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. You did send me some info from the book about 5 years ago, which I'll check out today. Any information is of course very useful.

      Delete