Monday 27 December 2021

End of Year Review 2021

A Common talking point amongst friends and family in the build up to Xmas this year has where has the year gone and what did we actually do? Common consent seems to be not a lot given the rather obvious fact that we have all been living in the shadow of Covid and the on/off lockdown situation (As I type we are waiting to hear if there will be any new restrictions in England, such as those that have come into force in the parts of the UK). Added to this as a family we have only really felt able to go out once our son, who is classed as clinically extremely vulnerable, was finally freed from having to self isolate as much as possible in late Summer. 

So with the above in mind and the chaos of Xmas out of the way for another year, it feels a good time to take stock of my wargaming year and possibly consider what passes for plans on my part for 2022. 

Rules Bought
Neil Thomas' Wargaming: An Introduction
Beneath the Lily Banners 3rd Edition 
For Whom The Die Rolls
Shadow of the Eagles 
Spartans & Successors 

Quite a quiet year for me on the purchases front, given that last year I made the conscious decision to focus on a few core rulesets and this is still the case. So why more rules you might not unreasonably ask? Well the Beneath the Lily Banners I'd been pondering for sometime for use with a planned project based around the 1690's or thereabouts and the Glorious Revolution. I was swayed by seeing some of the nice AAR's of games by Keith & Co down New Zealand way earlier in the year. The book is a joy to own and has lots of eye candy, period flavour and interesting rules. I've yet to give them a try but I hope to do so in 2022.

Shadow of the Eagles was a freebie from Keith Flint, the author and a good friend and gaming chum of mine. I like his approach to rules and game play so was very happy to receive these and help scratch that niggling Napoleonic itch. The rules work really well, are easy to pick up and most importantly give a good game with a nice Napoleonic feel, without oodles of detail, tables etc to make the mind ache. More games are planned once I've painted some more of my mdf figures, which are on the table waiting for me to find a free moment in the kitchen to get started.

Wargaming Books Bought
The War of King Monmouth by Ralph Mitchard
The Williamite Wars by John Childs 
Osprey WWII Balkans War by Pier Battistelli
Report on Foreign Manouevres in 1912 
Thunder on the Danube Vol 1 by John H Gill
Operation Bagration by Steven Zaloga
Kursk by Lloyd Clark
Sicily '43 by James Holland
The Winter War by William Trotter
Battle Tactics of Napoleon and his Enemies by Brent Nosworthy
Osprey Russian Civil War Armies
Osprey Russian Red Armour
A People's Tragedy by Orlando Figes
Operation Sealion by Paddy Griffith & John Curry
Battle tactics of the Civil War by Paddy Griffith
The Secret War by Max Hastings
The Hollow Crown by Dan Jones

A positive pot pourri of books and periods at first glance, but there is some method in my madness! Many were bought to flesh out my interest in the early WWII period, such as The Winter War which covers the Russo-Finnish War of 1939. The Russian Civil War is a period I know little about but am keen to learn more, with some possible games in the future. If nothing else it will provide more ideas for my AVBCW games. Not all have been read but the ones I have read have been excellent and I have high hopes for the remainder.

Miniatures Bought
Red Eagles Miniatures WWI plane
Commission Figurines ACW MDF figures
Soviet WWII reinforcements mainly AFV's
WWII Norwegians (using WWI Austrians as proxies)
WWI Russian Civil War figures
6mm WWII Aircraft
Medieval bits'n'bobs
AVBCW bits'n'bobs
WWII Italian artillery
Leven Miniatures Castle Components
Battlescale Russian Village Set

Not much really this year, with mainly small purchases to flesh out existing forces or simply the "ooh that would be nice to have!" Frankly I have more than enough miniatures already sitting in the attic as it is and next year I aim to have a good cull, so that I can focus on key areas of interest and not get distracted from these. More on this in another post I think...

Miniatures Painted
Pz I's, Pz II's, Pz III's, Pz IV's and command tanks
SCW/AVBCW command bases and vehicles
19thC Europe ImagiNations figures
Medieval figures
Commission Figurines MDF figures

With another year of virtually no FtF gaming, there has been little impetus for me to get much painting done. I did have a couple of concentrated spells, where I completed a load of early WWII German armour, as well as my mdf figures for my generic early 19thC ImagiNations forces. I found motivation hard for most of the year, which might have been helped by a dedicated painting area. Alongside this I also have the distraction of other hobbies, such as gardening and woodworking, both of which I prefer to do when the weathers nice. I think there is also a hangover from my days as a modelmaker when painting seems too much like my old job, when I want and need a break from this. When the muse is upon me I do enjoy the process, but not as much as in the past. Maybe a combination of being a house husband, full time carer and the Covid issue also play a factor in my reluctance to paint at times?
 
Terrain Made
Aircraft hanger - scratch built
Stone Circle
Walled Field

In contrast to painting, I do love scratch building terrain as it takes me back to those articles in the Airifx magazines and guides that used to inspire me as a child. I enjoyed the aircraft hanger made this year and haven't made much else as I have most of the terrain I need. However I do have some projects planned for next year, mainly making more detailed BUA's for a variety of games, hence some of the recent purchases from Leven Miniatures and Battlescale. I hope to provide more updates on this in the near future.

Projects
BKCII campaign
OHW Scenarios 
Lion Rampant 
Honours of War
ECW & LoA games

On the whole I managed to get in a couple of campaigns, one played by PBEM and the other a narrative one played solo. Both were fun, with the former, set during the SCW, taking a lot more time and effort compared to previous ones set during the 18thC. Honours of War made it to the table quite a bit, often linked to playing through the One Hour Wargames Scenarios. By and large these have been fun but some have worked better than others. Moving forward I will think more about the forces involved, victory conditions etc to try and improve the gaming experience. Still these are a great resource and I will continue to use them. The ECW & LoA games never got off the ground, despite having planned to give Beneath the Lily Banners a run out earlier in the year.

Games Played
The Portable Wargame Pike & Shot - 1
BKCII - 7
Pike & Shotte - 2
Honours of War - 6
Rebels & Patriots - 3
Shadow of the Eagles - 5
Post of Honour - 1

A very stop start year on the gaming front, but even so, at least I managed to get in a game about every two weeks. The vast majority were solo, with some PBEM and thankfully three FtF ones which were a real pleasure after so long away from friends. I fully expect solo to continue to dominate for the early part next year and then we will have to wait and see as to whether FtF gaming becomes a realistic prospect once again. One can but hope.
 
Wargames Shows Attended
CWD
Partizan

After over two years of no wargames shows, it was great to be able to attend a few, both within the space of a few weeks. The Cotswold Wargames Day was the first and as in previous years, a great day out with other gamers in a nice and relaxed atmosphere, with a good variety of games on show. Many have commented that it feels more like a club all dayer rather than a show and is frankly the better for it IMHO. The other was Partizan which I had never been to before, but was a lovely show with stunning games on display. I could have gone to other shows later in the year but with Covid cases going through the roof where I lived, I though it wiser to stay at home and wait for another year.

End of Year Thoughts
Needless to say 2021 has once again been a funny old year due to Covid and the impact it's had on our all lives in various shapes and forms. At least our wonderful hobby has for the most part been able to carry on, whether via solo games, PBEM or Virtual Gaming, with wargames shows returning in force towards the tail end of the year. Alongside these Blogging has once again shown how useful a tool it is to keep us all in touch with the various projects, games and shows from all over the World. It has really been a boon during these difficult times.

Personally there was little change in 2021 compared to 2020, other than the fact that finally I was able to meet up with friends for some FtF games as well as attend a few shows. It's only when you miss something that you realise how important it is to you. Whilst solo games are good, you really can't beat gaming with good friends and all that goes with it. 

Looking Forward to 2022
I've never been one for New Year's resolutions, but I though I'd jot down some plans and ideas I have for next year, subject to Covid of course:

  • Carry on Blogging. I know this appears to be less popular than before, with Facebook and Vlogging supposedly taking over, but personally I much prefer the whole Blog thing, as it just works for me on many levels. As others have mentioned on their Blogs, it would be nicer if more people left comments, but I'm grateful for those regulars that do as your support is greatly appreciated.
  • Campaigns. I tend to find narrative campaigns much more satisfying than one off games as they give a much richer experience IMHO. I plan to run some across various periods, both solo and hopefully by PBEM again.
  • The Lead Mountain. I had planned to reduce this in early 2020, but then put it on hold when Covid hit. Given the current ongoing uncertainty, I'm going to look to sell stuff online, rather than at shows, so that I can focus on core periods and not spread myself too thinly.
  • Rulebook Library. Rather like the lead mountain, the plan was to offload rules that I know I will never use, leaving me with core rules that I know and love. Again this will have to be done online at present rather than at shows.
  • Painting. My initial aim is to finish my two mdf forces so that I can play a variety of games with them. This will allow me to then paint other forces as and when time and the mood takes me.
  • Wargames Shows. All being well I hope to attend more next year than I would normally do. This is completely out of my control and decisions will have to be made closer to the time. Fingers crossed for this though!
  • FtF Gaming. I really hope that this can resume but am not getting my hopes up too much at present.
  • Terrain. I want to make some modular terrain to add more detail for my BUA's, that will also allow them to be used across a variety of periods. I have plenty of ideas, so it's really a case of putting them into action.

It will be interesting to see what, if any, of the above I achieve next year. Obviously Covid will have a big part to play in many of my 'plans', but one can but hope that things will ease off and we can get back to some semblance of normality. So it just remains to thank all of you who have stopped by in the past year and left comments, which are greatly appreciated! 

18 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your annual review. Did all of the PBeM SCW battles count in among the seven BKCII games listed? Very good to see that you plan to continue on blogging. Like you, the written word and deliver via a blog is much preferred to videos. I do not care much for the video media.

    I look forward to seeing which direction you strike out upon for a 2022 PBeM campaign. Your SCW campaign was great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Jon and it's enlightening for me to look back over the year. I make notes as I go along so hopefully I haven't forgotten anything! The BKCII games also included the mini-campaign set in Italy the I played solo earlier in the year. I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers the written word!

      I hope to do another PBEM game using BKCII, but need to paint some more stuff up first. Plenty of ideas though... :)

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your plans for next year. I have enjoyed reading your game reports this past year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter and I'm glad you liked my AAR's:).

      Delete
  3. An interesting review. I shall be particularly interested in any progress you make with BLB as I bought the same rules but haven't got them to table either despite the attractive layout.
    Merry 4th Day of Christmas

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephen. I've got the figures and have some ideas for basing, but really need to get some simple test games in to get to grips with the mechanics etc.

      Delete
  4. A good reviiew Steve and shows how much you were able to achieve despite the obstacles life put in your way! I hope you do get BLB onto the table, that's the rule set my GNW Swedes are patiently waiting to play one day! I totally agree about Blogs and hope I am able to continue to "publish" my own and read other people's for many years to come...podcasts etc really don't interest me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith and it is useful to look back on the year and see what has been achieved. I've got some ideas on how I can get BLB onto the table, not perfect but they will allow me to get a feel for the rules. Podcasts etc I know are useful for those say commuting to work or on long journeys, but they're not for me. Give me the written word every time!

      Delete
  5. That's an impressive year's summary! Puts my efforts to shame - but I do hope to do some wargaming this year as well as plod on with my flag production. Good luck with 2022!

    And yes, blogs still offer a lot of value, I agree.

    I must say I love Charles Oman's work, even if some at least is perhaps a bit dated now. I've just acquired volumes 1 and 2 of his wonderful 7 volume Peninsular War set - the frequent discussion about how much Napoleon cocked up in invading Spain and then trying to manage the war from Paris (and often even further away) are a delight... ;-)

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an impressive year's summary! Puts my efforts to shame - but I do hope to do some wargaming this year as well as plod on with my flag production. Good luck with 2022!

    And yes, blogs still offer a lot of value, I agree.

    I must say I love Charles Oman's work, even if some at least is perhaps a bit dated now. I've just acquired volumes 1 and 2 of his wonderful 7 volume Peninsular War set - the frequent discussion about how much Napoleon cocked up in invading Spain and then trying to manage the war from Paris (and often even further away) are a delight... ;-)

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by David:). I think my year pales in comparison to others, but it is enough for me and I would probably struggle to do more given being a full time carer. Still one can but hope for a dedicated games room etc!

      I'm looking forward to reading Oman's books and maybe one day will indulge in the Peninsular War set.

      Delete
    2. Sorry about the double post - it didn't seem to work the first time. It seems to me you do a great deal - far more than I manage. We have to do what we can. Yes, a dedicated games room would be wonderful! I've felt that ever since seeing those famous White Horse Whiskey adverts as a boy, the ones showing people gaming the battle of Waterloo... I hope you enjoy the Oman books. I'm certainly relishing the Peninsular War volumes; they have brilliant appendices with detailed OOBs and so on, perfect for the wargamer, and the text is so vast and detailed it gives accounts of battles few other histories of the war have the space even to mention.

      Cheers,

      David.

      Delete
    3. I've noticed that some Blogs I follow have double replies quite often now for some bizarre reason. The joys of technology!

      Doing what we can do pretty much sums it up David. I couldn't do what you do on the flag front, so we all have to play to our strengths. I hope you get to play some games etc this year.

      Delete
    4. It seems to happen to me when I try to post a comment on someone's blog and the post apparently hasn't "taken" - and then it turns out it has when I've repeated it! My computer certainly does not know how often it has nearly been thrown through the window out of sheer frustration. Probably just as well... ;-)

      One of the things that is so good about wargaming is the wide variety of creativity possible, isn't it? All that thinking and designing and making and painting - wonderful. :-) And yes, I really must get some actual gaming in this year or burst with frustration.

      Cheers,

      David.

      Delete
    5. The planning and prep is as much fun as the game itself I find and of course allows one to buy more books purely for 'research' purposes;). I look forward to seeing what you are able to game and what periods you are interested in. Maybe a post on your Blog to enlighten us?

      Delete
    6. I do agree - as if I needed more excuses to buy books, though... ;-) I do have to try to be a bit restrained these days, as finding homes for our 15,000 plus books is now very difficult...

      I plan initially to do an ECW scenario from George Gush's Airfix guide to the ECW, which involves relatively few troops (defence of and attack on a convoy), and then some Peninsular War games, after which I'd like to do some AWI and ultimately some SYW. And yes, I shall be posting reports on my blog!

      Cheers,

      David.

      Delete
    7. 15K of books? No wonder you are having to be restrained David! I reckon I have about 500 books, magazines and pamphlets and these I struggle to store, as SWMBO is not too keen on lots of bookshelves:(.

      Delete
    8. We do love our books but are certianly a bit overwhelmed at the moment - we have 22 bookcases scattered round the house, many of them large, plus other bookshelves, and still we have many stacks of books needing shelves - and also bags of books which are waiting to be shelved! When we moved from our last house I was determined I'd whittle them down a bit and after much effort managed to dispose of 2 bags of paperbacks to Oxfam - and I regretted half of them immediately! It is very hard getting rid of books... ;-)

      Cheers,

      David.

      Delete