Monday 27 July 2020

Hills and Rocky Terrain

When I first got back into wargaming some 15 odd years ago, it was mainly in 28mm and very much skirmish based games, such as Mordheim and Rules of Engagement. the terrain I made for these games very much reflected the needs of the game itself, but also the look, being more on the realistic side. Whilst I loved the look, often the terrain didn't always work from a practical point of view, such as being unable to get some troops where you wanted due to some lovely bushes getting in the way. Not insurmountable by any means but it always used to frustrate me a tad if I'm honest.

Fast forward 10 years or so and my gaming had moved on, with the rules changing to BKCII, Honours of War etc and 10mm being the chosen figure size. My terrain whilst still useful in some respects, didn't really work for the type of games I was playing, so I slowly started to sell off my old stuff and make new ones that were more in keeping with the new games and figures.

Hills were pretty much the last to be tackled, as my 'old' hills were shaped nicely but the problem was figure bases and vehicles sliding down the slopes, despite numerous efforts to prevent this. Also they were really too big for my games. So with plenty of time on my hands due to early retirement and the Covid-19 lockdown, I finally set myself the task of making new ones.

Base wise I used a mix of 2mm MDF, covered with foam and then sculpted or, more recently, 1/2" MDF, due to a lack of foam at home (I used to use off cuts from work). These were then covered in grit and rocks as required, painted and then flocked, in the same manner as my other terrain and figure bases. The results can be seen below and are certainly much more game friendly.
a

Four new hills with some detail, but fairly plain to add game play.

By chance they can be combined to make larger hilly areas if required. the gaps can be left or some flock or lichen added to hide the joins. I simply don't have the space or real need for single large hills.

A Pendraken tank to give an idea of the size of the hill.

 Three 40mm x 20mm bases lined up, again to give an idea of scale.

Rocky terrain that may or may not be impassable to certain troops types, largely dependent upon the needs of the scenario.

Again a tank to give an idea of size.

Gandalf summoning who knows what on his 40mm x 20mm base.

I've enjoyed making these new hills and rocky terrain and may add more in the future. Most of the time is waiting for the glue or paint to dry, but in warm and sunny weather, I could make and finish one in a day, all being well. However I don't rush things as I like to take my time and get things right to my own satisfaction.

All of these pieces will hopefully see action soon in either a planned new campaign, or some one off games. I still need to decide which. I really should get back to figure painting but the Muse is not upon me at present, so this will have to wait. So until next time...

12 comments:

  1. I don’t think hills ever look that right for 28mm anyway because of the vertical scale, but practicality must win over.

    These look just right for the 10mm table and just as importantly will photograph well so that the hill can be clearly seen / defined to the viewer, rather than blending into the table. It has been one of the problems that I have with my hex terrain, that though a hill is very visible during play, when it is photographed, the light totally flattens it out and iy is not at all obvious - hills under terrain cloths have much the same problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Z height is always an issue for terrain as you say Norm. I've definitely gone down the more practical route over the past few years. Hills under terrain cloths may look nice, but are a bugger to 'photo and also have the issue of knowing where they start/stop, which can be a problem.

      Delete
  2. They look perfect for the smaller scale. Enjoy your retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat and am certainly enjoying retirement:)

      Delete
  3. They look good Steve. The issues of slopes and crests has troubled wargamers the world over. The hills and rocky outcrops blend in well with your existing terrian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu. Slopes that perennial problem! Luckily crests are relatively easily solved with the rules I play.

      Delete
  4. You have struck a nice balance between looks and practicality with these hills. It is always surprising how much storage space terrain consumes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter and I'm happy with the aesthetics and playability of these hills. I have 10 trays of terrain next to me and a large box upstairs and am hoping to fit it all in one cupboard post the Covid-19 retrictions lifting!

      Delete
  5. Hi Steve - nice work there on the Hills- just right for the placement of your models. I tend to use sheet polystyrene placed under a green blanket for hills - not the best solution as it does not really work in photos of the terrain. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev. I've used foam blocks under my GW mat for BBB etc, which looks good, but as you say, doesn't 'photo well or show where the hill starts or stops.

      Delete