Monday 13 April 2020

Solo Wargaming Guide for Blitzkreig Commander

Last week Leon from Pendraken Miniatures dropped me a line asking if I would be interested in putting together a simple guide on how I go about setting up my solo games of BKC. Only too happy to help I jotted down some notes and ideas over a few days and then typed them up and send them off for approval. Leon was happy with my humble efforts and he worked his magic and produced the guide which can be found here

Hopefully my thoughts might be useful and inspire some people to give solo wargaming a go. Now I admit that it is much better to play against a friend, as not only do you have that challenge, but also the fun and banter that comes with it before, during and after a game. However in these difficult times this is nigh on impossible for the vast majority of gamers, so solo or online gaming is the only avenue available.

I would like to think that how I go about setting up a BKC game works equally well across different periods and rulesets. I think it does as I use broadly the same criteria when setting up an Honours of War game for example. Whether it is of use or not, I hope it might inspire some people to get their games out and give solo wargaming a go. Until next time...


12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Steve, there are some good tips in there. Yet to try solo gaming but I might have to go down that path if things carry on the way they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've found a few things of interest Pat. It would be nice to think that you can get away without a solo game, but I think with things the way they are, it is likely you will have to.

      Delete
  2. Very good, Steve! I like your guide to solo gaming. Your fame grows.

    One additional notion that I utilize in many solo games revolves arounds writing an overall battle plan for each side. That way, the general direction of the battle is set out beforehand. An overall battle plan adds constraints, challenges, and friction to keep interest and tension high throughout the game.

    Battle plans prevent one side from immediately responding to every little tactical opportunity or mishap outside of the general battle plan. Commanding generals are allowed to change their initial battle plan during the game but those changes are often not instantaneous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan and glad you liked it. As for fame, have I had my '15 minutes' as it were?

      I agree with your battle plan comment, which is very valid. I suppose I tend to have these in my head and sub-consciously follow them as much as I can. Maybe I should add this to my AAR's in the same way as I have done with Dave's sketches for his force orders. Something to think about.

      Delete
  3. Hi Steve good points, particularly about the OOB. In most tactical games,when doing a scenario, I generally go for something that I think will work. When I look at the points, I am often surprised how far adrift I am from the two forces having what would seem to be a relative 'fairness' of points, but often the game works out okay .... that may be the effects of the dice though!

    From a solo perspective, I think it helps hugely if your mindset is not one of winning, but rather just playing for its own sake and enjoying it, that way, I think you are more likely to treat both sides equally and get the best out of both armies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. I think when you are familiar with a ruleset, you can go with what feels right rather than adhere rigidly to a points system. More often than not it seems to work out OK.

      I completely agree about enjoying the game and that winning doesn't matter per se. This I think does lead you to play both sides equally.

      Delete
  4. That's awesome, Steve, thanks for sharing your hard work!

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff. I'm looking forward to giving this a try. I've played Cold War Commander solo a number of times and this can easily be converted to use for that as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sean! It should work perfectly well for CWC as they share the same core rules engine.

      Delete
  6. Public service wargaming at it's best Steve, some good ideas here, I would agree on the OOB, having played a couple of games recently where one side significantly out guns the other, they might be games not played before as they were deemed not fair or balanced, but occasionally that's what's called for. You just need to decide what a win looks like for each side.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the 'BBC' style endorsement Stu;). As you say, games don't need to be balanced, you just have to tweak the 'victory' conditions for the scenario. This is true of Bloody Big Battles were more often than not, the Prussians are the favourites, but can the French/Austrians hold out long enough to affect the campaign?

      Delete