Tuesday 25 August 2015

The Pikeman's Lament

A few weeks ago, Michael Leck and Dan Mersey announced a joint venture, namely a development of the Lion Rampant rules for the Pike & Shotte era, called The Pikeman's Lament , which will be published by Osprey as part of their successful wargames series. 

Having played Lion Rampant (but not as much as I'd like) I was immediately intrigued to find out more. Having met Michael and his fellow Swedes (all damned fine chaps to a man) at Salute earlier in the year, I dropped him an e-mail just in case he needed any playtesters. Luckily for me he accepted my offer (the poor fool). As anyone who follows Michael's Blog (or saw his table at Salute), you will know he puts on a lovely game. His latest offerings I have particulary enjoyed due to my long interest in this period.

So why am I interested in the ECW? Well as I child I grew up just outside of St Ives in the then Huntingdonshire, and each week would see the imposing statue of Oliver Cromwell in the town centre.


I always enjoyed the film "Cromwell" as a child, siding with the Parliamentarians, probably due to seeing the aforementioned statue so much.


Also just outside of Earith, where my Mum was born and a few miles from where I lived, are the impressive remains of a star fort, known as the 'Earith Bulwark'. Sadly barely visible from the road, but impressive none-the-less from the air.



So as you can see in my formative years I had a lot of exposure to the ECW, but most of it in reality probably passed me by. Then at University my friend and I used to play many, many English Civil War games as a way of unwinding at the end of a project (naturally coupled with a few beers).He was very, very interested in the period, so I used to hear a lot about it. Since then my interest has never wained and was recently piqued with my purchase of the Warlord Games Pike & Shotte rules.

Fast forward some 20 odd years and I moved to Hanham, on the outskirts of Bristol with my family. Just up the road from us is the Blue Bowl Pub, reputedly on the sight of a Roman tavern and possibly one of the oldest pubs in the country. It was used as a base by Cromwell for his operations against Bristol and the surrounding area during the ECW. A few miles away are the remains of Barrs Court, a moated Manor that was probably medieval in origin and certainly occupied during the ECW. Charles II escape from the Battle of Worcester led him along the River Avon and past Hanham on his way to Bristol.

The famous Battle of Lansdown Hill is but a short drive from where we live and now laid out with information boards showing the progress of the battle. Not only does the site have an impressive monument to Sir Bevil Grenville who fell during the battle, but it also offers superb views across the surrounding countryside.

In terms of 'The Pikeman's Lament', I already have plenty of material from which I can come up with some background information and fluff for my Royalist and Parliamentarian Companies. A few trial games have already given me a flavour of the sort of troops I like and as a result I've placed an order with Pendraken Miniatures Pendraken Miniatures for collection at Colours. In another post I will give more background info on my Companies, which have already taken on a character of their own.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for getting involved Steve - Michael told me you were on board! You have my email address should you need to check in :-) Oddly enough, part of the reason I wanted to do an ECW set of rules is because when we moved out of London, I ended up in St Neots (just down the road from St Ives) and had various trips to see the statue, Cromwell Museum, etc. And there was a skirmish in St Neots in 1648. You will have moved beforehand, but the Cromwell Statue ended up being printed on our bin bags, as it was the council's logo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about the Cromwell Museum! Printed bin bags eh? Well, St Ives has come up in the world since I was there. I'll keep you posted as well on any thoughts etc Dan and hoping to get another game in today.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for all kind words matey.

    Glad that you decided to help us out and I that you so far liked what you tested;)

    Looking forward to see it how the Pendraken minis turnout and also to see a aar from your test game leater on.

    Best regards Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having great fun Michael, especially as the Roundheads are 'winning' at present:) Can't wait to pick up the minis in a few weeks.

      Delete
  3. Interesting looking earthwork, it's amazing to think it still survives. I'm currently working out which side to take. The local Royalist was a bit of a wrong 'un but is far more interesting than the pudding basin heads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it has survived intact because the field it is in floods regularly each year. From the road you only see a slight bump. I'm rarely down that way these days but I might make a detour to try and get a good view of it, as you can walk into the field quite easily.

    I've gone for both sides so that I can game it solo. However my heart lies with the Parliamentarians due to the stuff mentioned above. I need to do some more research on the local area to where I now live, but mainly it seems to have been Parliamentarian. Quite easy to tweak thing a little bit just for this game though:).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting stuff Steve, heard some good things about the LR rules, interesting to hear your thoughts on whether it would be suitable to move down a few years for my Elizabethan/Irish project?
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stu,
      I can't see why not at present. You have all the options for cavalry (including Lancers IIRC), Pike & Shotte, Sword & Buckler men and big groups of Clansmen type chaps in the playtest rules. I will have a proper look tomorrow and try to remember to let you know!

      Delete
    2. Clansmen read Irish :-)
      It will be interesting to see how it progresses.
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great new project Steve - best of luck with it.

    ReplyDelete