Tuesday 5 November 2013

Junkers Freedom Fighters for KR-16

Well I finally got around to finishing off my Junkers Freedom Fighters for use with the KR-16 rules from Michael at Angel Barracks. I've had these a few years now and it feels good to finally have got one faction finished. The figures are exceptionally well sculpted for 6mm and the detail only really becomes apparent when you start to paint them

The figures were based on 1mm black styrene sheet, 13mm in diameter, that I had made for me at work. A wipe of finesurface polyfilla blended the figures to the base, and when dry, pva glue was applied and a very fine sand applied. The figures were then sprayed with a black undercoat and the bases drybrushed in my normal manner. To help me see the detail of the figures before applying any colour, I drybrushed the figures with a medium brown paint to show up the detailed sculpting. This helped an awful lot and this is a technique I will be using in future.

The figures were then grouped into units of 5, and a basic pallet of greys, greens and browns applied to them. For example the first figure would have grey trousers, the next a grey shirt, the third a grey hat etc. This way all the units had a random look yet the basic pallet of colours tied them all together. I had planned on added some form of flock to the bases, but I couldn't find anything that looked right, so in the end decided to leave them plain 'dirt'. This will certainly fit in with Michael's terrain. As usual for me the bases had their edges painted black.

Now I'm certainly no David Bailey, but hopefully the following pictures give you an idea of how the Junkers look en masse. Hopefully when I next meet Michael I might be able to persuade him to take some better pics for me.
The Junkers in the fields and hedgerows of their settlement.
A Junker section guarding their crops.
The other three Junkers sections in the open.
A junker rocket launcher on the right. These I have a yellow tail to denote the rear and therefore the danger end, with a red tip indicating the rocket ready to launch. These should be easy to see when on the table.
A sniper takes up position in the hedgerow. Both the sniper and the rocket launcher have silver sights painted on their weapons.

9 comments:

  1. I thought single based 15mm figures were small! They do look cool though, lots of detail on a tiny figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Max. The detail really does have to be seen to be believed. How the sculptor ever got this level of detail I will never know.

      Delete
  2. Interesting scale for skirmish Steve, but it looks like a fun evening could be had with this rules.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works suprisingly well at this scale Stu, with most games on a 4'x4' table. The rules do produce really fun games and are very quick to pick up. Well worth checking out IMHO.

      Delete
    2. I agree, I use a 3' x 3' table and that is plenty big enough.
      Free rules, a small table, and a whole force for less than £20.00.

      What's not to like?

      Delete
  3. Indeed it can, drop me an e-mail to arrange a game Steve so I can kill these bad boys! Unless I wander onto the proximity mines again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, those proximity mines, they still bring a smile to my face...

      Delete
    2. hmmmm yes well poop to you sir, poop I say!

      Delete
  4. Great work! It would be great if you could post these at http://bennosfiguresforum.com too. So far I'm pretty alone there doing 6mm. :-D

    Benno

    ReplyDelete