Saturday 26 October 2013

A Trip Down Memory Lane


Quite by chance I stumbled across this very old range of figures that were produced around the time that Dungeons & Dragons became popular at secondary school in the 1970s. Amazingly they are still in production by Minifigs and I still have the figure, sadly chopped about on the altar of conversions. IIRC they were the first range of Orcs produced and this one was popular with us at school and was christened 'the Farmer' for some reason lost in the mists of time.


ORC5 - Orc with Serrated Crescent

A weekend treat would be to take a trip to the 'Old Soldier Modelshop'  by Hyde Park Corner in Cambridge, just opposite the Catholic Church, to view the ranges on offer. The level of detail and pose of the sculpt really shows its age compared to todays work, but I must admit I still really like this figure, purely for nostalgic reasons. I can see me buying this as a 50th birthday treat to myself. Sad I know but it would make me happy.

I still have a few figures in the attic from around this time, that I've never quite been able to part with, again for purely nostalgic reasons. Having recently purchased In Her Majesty's Name wargaming rules from Osprey (via Amazon of course), I can see myself digging out the aforementioned figures to try and come up with a company for use in the game.


Only time will tell if I'm successful, but it could be a lot of fun, which after all is what it's supposed to be all about.



1 comment:

  1. That is a blast from the past, I have a bunch of early citadel hobgoblins like that, I must have painted when I was about 13.
    Not quite the legacy the kids were hoping for :-)
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete