Sunday 29 October 2023

18thC India - Bagging the Baggage

Solo gaming has been noticeable by its absence here these past months and to be honest I can't remember when I last got a game in! But with the end of British Summer Time and SWMBO out for the evening, high time I thought to set up a simple game, mainly to re-acquaint myself with HoW and our on going 18thC India tweaks.

To keep things simple, both sides has the same number of troops, with the only difference being the better French artillery and any variance in the quality of the commanders. In the end the French ended up with a Dashing one, with everyone else being Dependable. The nominal fluff for the game was that some rhubarb was being transported along the road, with the French trying to capture it and the HEIC to rescue it. Simples.


An overview of the table, with the HEIC at the bottom and the French at the top. The board is 2' x 2'.

The end of Turn 1. Both sides advanced, except the French right flank that rolled Poor. The HEIC right flank got a double move, but the paddy fields slowed them down somewhat. Both sides artillery caused a few hits, nothing more.

The end of Turn 2. Both sides once again advanced and fire rippled out across the front, with the French getting the upper hand, forcing back one HEIC infantry unit to reform.

The HEIC Infantry have had to fall back to reform.

The HEIC struggling through the rice paddies and both sides begin to accrue hits.

The end of Turn 3. The HEIC left flank has fallen back to provide a better defensive line as the French push forward towards them. Both sides shooting is effective, with a unit of French Sepoys being Done For and a HEIC one having to fall back to reform, which is easier said than done with Inferior Morale.

The HEIC left flank in some trouble.

The HEIC Afghans have ahd to retreat to reform also.

The HEIC Light Cavalry hope they can move far enough to charge the elephant.

The French left flank in some trouble too.

The end of Turn 4. The French right flank once again rolled Poor to move and elsewhere there was little movement, other than the HEIC right flank pushing forward slightly. The French Artillery easily Routed the HEIC Sepoys who fell back through the HEIC Infantry, causing a hit on them.

The Sepoys rout back.

The HEIC right flank keeps putting the pressure on the French left.

A view of the French left flank.

The start of Turn 5. Once again the French right flank rolled Poor, whilst the HEIC attacked the French left flank in what was a bit of a confused melee.

This is all a bit 'Lionel Messi'.

The results of the melee, with the French elephant and HEIC Infantry Done For.

The end of Turn 5. Only the French right flank is still in good order.

The HEIC left flank try to form a cohesive line.

The HEIC right flank is not in good shape, but the French left flank is only marginally better.

The intact French right flank.

Early on in Turn 6. With limited movement, it was all down to the shooting. The French right flank lost a Line Infantry unit as well as their Brigadier, with the HEIC right flank losing their Sepoys.

The demise of the French Line Infantry and their Brigadier (red 6 die).

The Sepoys rout.

As do the HEIC Light Cavalry.

The end of Turn 6. The HEIC right flank is all but gone, with the French Light Cavalry having an open flank to exploit.

The HEIC Afghans trying to reform.

The only good defensive line left for the HEIC.

The open HEIC right flank as seen from the French left.

A view from the French side.


End of Game
With that the HEIC called it a day as they had no real prospect of holding on, given that their right flank was gone and the left flank was facing impenetrable jungle, leaving rambling Syd Rumpo and his carog of rhubarb in the hands of the French.

Post Game Thoughts
After so long away from the table, it was great to get a simple solo game in! A few quick thoughts on the game:
  • The tweaks we have made to the 18thC amendments seem to have worked well, but more on that in another post when I've had time to collate a few things. It certainly felt different to 'normal' SYW games though.
  • Having varying levels of quality for the Sepoys etc really does work a treat, with their Inferior morale making them much harder to keep in the fight, which feels right based upon what I have read.
  • The HEIC and French troops are to be used carefully, as although they are a lot tougher and more effective than the Sepoys, they can still be Done For quite easily if you are not careful.
  • The 2' x 2' was once gain perfect for this small game to test the rules. I probably had a bit too much terrain and could have reduced the number of units slightly, as it did feel a bit cramped at times, but minor issues and easily rectified.
  • Having re-read parts of the rulebook prior to the game, it is amazing what you pick up that you have simply missed before! An example being that a unit within 2cm (5cm in the normal rules) of the commanding General can rally off one hit. This helped keep the French Line Infantry on their right flank in the game, as it was enough to keep them from falling back to reform. Time for more -re-reads methinks!

With the evenings now getting dark much earlier, I hope to be able to resume my painting for these forces, as I have plenty sitting in front of me ready to go under the brush. I had hoped to get back to it ealrier but the unusually warm and sunny weather has continued here, with it not feeling like November is just around the corner!

Hopefully another game soon, most likely more 18thC India but maybe some BKCII, which rather shockingly I haven't played at all this year!

Oh and I must really get around to putting in a brighter light bulb in the dining room so these games don't look so dim.....

TTFN.



29 comments:

  1. Good to get a game on in a small space Steve. I have something up my sleeve for an ECW game that might fit in 2x2 feet.
    Re the dining room light. My experience suggests that some people like to have ‘mood’ lighting (ie dim) in the dining room, so maybe the way to go is having a spare ‘gaming bulb’ available to switch over as the occasion demands.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These smaller games are so easy to set up Chris, without having to completely clear the dining table, which is nice. Even a 3' x 2' game is easy to do, but I do then have to clear said table. I hope you get the chance for a game and on a small table too.

      I have the bulb, I just haven't got aorund to actually changing it over. As the lounge and dining room are one space, I'm aware that SWMBO might find it too bright when watching the tv, as it is quite a contrast with the older pre-LEd bulbs. Maybe I'll give it a go tonight...

      Delete
  2. Steve, it is terrific seeing you back at your own table for a solo game. Hopefully the dark months of winter will allow more opportunities for both gaming and painting. Winter has descended here in the PNW. Damn cold!

    I am somewhat surprised that HoW was not still fresh in mind after your run-recent out at Cotswold. Yes, always remember the rally range including the added bonus when distant from the enemy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon! I checked and my last solo game was in March, so it has been a very fallow period for me for a variety of reasons. I think the final last Hurrah! of warm weather is finishing now, but Thursday felt like Summer! Normally by now my gardening chores have long finished, but not this year. We've only had one touch of frost so far, which is just weird.

      HoW is sort of firmly embed in my mind now, but it is those little things that I've missed, such as the commanding general's rally bonus which I'd simply not picked up before. These games are more about seeing how our amendments work, which so far seem OK. I just need to paint my rocket troops and my zumurak camels for some decent playtests.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful looking units and I really like those paddy fields. Good to see fun being had in a 2x2 area. I now have a 6x4 table but usually play on only half of it. Big doesn’t always equal better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark! I wasn't sure about the paddy fields, as I think they should be more brown, but honestly once on the table with everything else, they look fine. Most of my games are 4' x 4' or 3' x 2', which is good as you have plenty of space for rules, dice etc. Big certainly doesn't always equal better!

      Delete
  4. Yes, a good looking game indeed, plus impressive to see a decent sized game fitting into such a small space. I rather liked all the terrain "clutter"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it David! The big advantage of small scale figures is that you can get a reasonable game in on a smallish table. So my 3' x 2' games equate to 6' x 4' with 28mm figures.

      Delete
  5. A very nice game. I do note you point about rereading rules and finding rules that have been overlooked or forgotten. So easily done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. It is remarkable that despite many readings, I'm discovering a few things I've missed or forgotten about. As you say so easily done!

      Delete
  6. Another 2’x2’ success. A bit of play will keep the painting mojo going to get the extra units done. I was surprised at the mention of no BKII this year, it feels like just a few months ago! 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm! The game has pushed me back towards the painting table, which was one of the aims. I was too as I thought I'd played a BKCII game, but hadn't, despite lots of planning early on in the year. Let's hope it can make it to the table soon...

      Delete
  7. Great stuff Steve and I think you have inspired me to get off my a*** and go and play an SCW solo game, as I had planned to do all weekend but didn't! (To be honest, I had already decided I MUST do it this evening - but I am happy to give you credit for giving me the final push!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith and glad to see my little offering gave you the impetus you needed (or already had!). It's so easy to think I'll do it tomorrow etc, which is the advantage of the 2' x 2' table, in that it requires little set up time etc.

      Delete
    2. Yeah - my table is basically the same size - but I still prevaricate and put it off till mañana!

      Delete
  8. Enjoyed your report and the look of the game Steve. Here's to winter bringing more of such opportunities for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard! My mind is certainly spending more time planning games, sorting some painting out etc now that the evenings have drawn in. One of the positives of the long Winter nights!

      Delete
  9. Lovely stuff - as ever. A great looking game with impressive terrain and armies. You certainly had a lot of figures on such a small tabletop/battlefield.
    I suspect that, as the convoy was transporting rhubarb, that the HEIC will hopefully have their “experts” (from Yorkshire, naturally) available to protect their valuable assets. No General from Yorkshire is ever going to “tek no bother from yon Frenchies, by ‘eck” 🤣😂
    Back in the real world - it did set me to thinking “what would’ve happened if we had curries with ‘rhubarb chutney’ rather than mango chutney?”. I believe there is such a thing as rhubarb chutney (who knew? I’ve never seen it in any Indian restaurant/take-away I’ve been to) but the current default chutney is mango. Steve - perhaps you could see if you could get sponsorship from the Rhubarb Council?
    Hopefully you’ll get more games soon - you’ve painted the figures and built the terrain, so now it’s time to use ‘em.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geoff! You've given me more ideas of trying to fit the rhubarb triangle into future games in some shape or form. Certainly it will feature in any '45 games should we re-visit that period😊.

      Mango chutney with curry is one of the World's culinary pleasures IMHO. Rhubarb crumble another, which is where this all started from. As for sponsorship, that would make for an interesting intial phone call/conversation😉😂.

      Some games already being planned in my head, so just need to jot the ideas down onto paper to work them up into something playable...

      Delete
  10. Really enjoyed your report Steve, you don't see many SYW in India games around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Ray! This year I've noticed a few games, probably because of this project, but most set around the Mutiny era, rather than mid-18thC.

      Delete
  11. Excellent report, Steve, and quite inspiring to see a game played in a 2 x 2 ft area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David! As mentioned above, the joy of using smaller miniatures is that you can get 'big' games in small spaces, with the 2' x 2' equating to 4' x 4' for those giant 28mm figures.

      Delete
  12. Excellent looking game and I totally agree that the different levels of troop morale reflects the period well. I remember a magazine from the 1970's called the British Empire which was tied in with a BBC tv show if I remember correctly, I've still got them in a semi bound state in the shed, anyway tge reason I mention it was they illustrated Plessy with lots of colourful photos of hundres of flat figures, I might take a photo or two and stick them in my blog for you to have a look at!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain and gald that you think the morale levels reflect the period well. We're still tweaking a few things, but all going well, famous last words!

      I do hope you can find tha article and it would be great to share it via your Blog. Always good to see this sort of stuff, if only for that nostalgia hit:).

      Delete
  13. Great stuff Steve, looks like a great encounter to ease yourself back in. Looking at kicking off a number of solo encounters to keep the creative juices flowing.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu and it was a good way to get back into the swing of things. Another game all set up to play. Hope you get some solo games in soon too.

      Delete