Sunday 5 November 2023

Fight For The Factory - An 18thC India Honours of War AAR.

Having enjoyed my first solo game since March, I thought I'd try and keep the momentum going with another outing somewhere in 18thC India. Like all kids with a new toy, I wanted to try and include my Factory model, for no other reason than I like having it on the table! Searching through my scenario books I took Scenario 16: Forlorn Hope 2 from Stuart Asquith's 'Scenarios For All Ages' as inspiration for a simple scenario. 

Simply put the Franco-Indian force is trying to make a surpise attack on the HEIC Factory, before it can be reinforced with more troops. The HEIC have added some quick field defences in the form of gabions to try and help bolster their defence. They have some Light Cavalry out scouting for the enemy, which they've failed to spot, but may turn up later in the game. The game starts as dawn breaks, with the Franco-Indian forces arriving out of the early morning light.


An overview of the table.

The Franco-Indian right wing.

The Franco-Indian centre and left wing.

The HEIC right wing, with its Dashing commander.

The HEIC field defences.

The Franco-Indian guns ready to open fire.

The end of Turn 1. The Franco-Indian right wing failed to move, but their left advanced and came under fire from the HEIC artillery. 

The end of Turn 2. Once again the Franco-Indian right wing failed to move! The HEIC right wing advanced to meet the Franco-Indian threat to their front. Both sides opened fire, causing some hits, with the artillery missing.

Both sides engage in musketry.

The end of Turn 3. Finally the Franco-Indian right wing gets moving, whilst their left wing closes with the HEIC. Artillery and musketry ripples out, with the Franco-Indian Sepoys routing as a result.

The Franco-Indian Sepoys rout, but the HEIC Sepoys take plenty of hits too.

Finally the Franco-Indian right wing advances.

Early on in Turn 4. The Franco-Indian right wing gets a move on, with a double move, finally bringing them into the game. The action hots up on the HEIC right wing...

... as the Franco-Indian Light Infantry charge the Sepoys, leading to both sides retreating back. In the musketry exchange, the Franco-Indian commander is killed!

The action kicks off on the HEIC left wing.

The HEIC Sepoys retreat back.

The Franco-Indian right wing retreats to reform, as the French Line Infantry take an additional hit as the Light Infantry retreated past them.

The end of Turn 4. The HEIC right wing is somewhat disjointed, but safe for the moment. The left wing however is under pressure.

The end of Turn 5. The action turns to the HEIC left wing and centre, as the HEIC Light Infantry are done for and rout.

The demise of the HEIC Light Infantry.

The French troops advance towards the HEIC Sepoys behind their gabions.

The Franco-Indian troops are in a good position, but are on 3 hits apiece and facing artillery and superior infantry.

The Franco-Indian left wing reforming.

A view from the Franco-Indian side as they press forward towards the objective, namely the factory.

Early on in Turn 6. The Franco-Indian troops rout the HEIC Sepoys, but lose their French Line Infantry in the process. The HEIC Line Infantry charge into the Franco-Indian Sepoys, surviving closing fire as they do so.

The HEIC Sepoys break, followed by the French Line Infantry.

The HEIC Line Infantry rout the Franco-Indian Sepoys, but have to retreat themselves, only just avoiding routing too.

The end of Turn 6. The HEIC right wing has retreated to reform, as their Light Cavalry arrives in the nick of time to support them. The Franco-Indian left wing has reformed and starts to advance.

With no troops left on their left wing, the HEIC troops are still in a good position, with the artillery and Light Infantry making it hard for anyone to assault the factory.

The 7th Light Cavalry arrive to save the day!

Colonel Hathi's elephant artillery somewhat isolated and alone.

The Franco-Indian left wing reformed, but now with a Dithering commander.

The Franco-Indian high water makr as the troops can only look on and ponder what might have been. Some Urn-Brew perhaps?

They couldn't hit an elephant even if they tried!


End of Game
With the arrival of the HEIC Light Cavalry and the loss of so many infantry, it was obvious that the Franco-Indian force was spent. The HEIC commander breathed a sigh of relief!

Post Game Thoughts
Well that was fun, even if it didn't go quite as I expected it to! As always a few musings on why this might have been etc.
  • Frankly I thought that the artillery would be more effective, given that the Franco-Indian force had a heavy gun to bolster their attack. The problem was that they could only fire every other Turn (which I forgot early on!) and being Inferior Artillery, with troops behind cover, meant that they needed a 5 each time they shot to actually cause a hit. In fact all game the Franco-Indian artillery did little damage and certainly none on their HEIC counterparts. The Medium gun would have been better used in moving up to support their left wing and having the chance to get off a whiff of grapeshot.
  • So attacking troops in entrenchments, behind cover or BUA's, then howitzers of mortars are probably a better bet. At least I have some so they need to jump up the painting queue.
  • The gabions certainly helped keep the HEIC in the game, as without them I think they could have been overun rather quickly. 
  • If the Franco-Indian right wing had not had two Turns of inactivity and had been able to make a co-ordinated attack, then I think things could have been harder for the HEIC. As it was they could deal with each attack in Turn, concentrating their fire where it mattered most.
  • With the above being taken into account, I think it fair to up the strength of the Franco-Indian force, with certainly a howitzer/mortar and at least another Sepoy unit.
  • Yet again the Franco-Indian force lost a commander during the game. Normally I like to do a random roll to see the quality of the replacement, but this time I just went with the rules and that they drop down  a level, hence the Dithering for the replacement.
  • I rated the French artillery as Superior for shooting only, as per the amendments for the Austrian artillery, with all other stats being Standard. This feels right to me and I'll see what Dave thinks.

So there we are. Two games in two weeks: feels good! I even remembered to replace the light bulb with a brighter one and one that is more daylight in hue. It certainly made it easier to take photos, but it does cast quite a shadow. It is 60W so might replace it with a 40W one and see if it is less harsh.

What Next?
My painting mojo hasn't returned, but I'm hoping it will soon, so that I can add more core units to my forces. I think that after the concentrated spurt in advance of the CWD, I needed a break. After all it is meant to be fun and not a chore.

Games wise I think it high time for a complete change. I've had some ideas kicking around for some AVBCW action for some time, so might dust these off and see how they grab me. Probably something bigger than 2' x 2', but you never know. The only worry is that it might distract me away from the 18thC India project...

TTFN.

22 comments:

  1. Great to see you return to the battlefield with two games in rapid succession. Very well-presented battle report. The combination of close-ups and overhead photos help me gain my bearings. Attacking a strong fortification, as this, does require some more men and materiel. Adding some more firepower by increasing the artillery (including mortars) is a good idea. Loved the photo of that BIG gun firing. It has really been a very long time since I last played HoW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon and it's good to be back at the games table. Let's hope I can keep this up and sort of return to my mid-week games plan of previous years.

      I'm glad the overall shots and then close ups helped you follow the action. I always try and take the former from the same postion to help maintain orientation. Harder to do on bigger table as you have to zoom out quite a bit as it were.

      I have used howitzers in games with Keith before and they are very effective, plus I've already been perusing the Pendraken catalogue for mortars:). The last Big Gun shot was quite by chance, not realising the elephant was in the line of fire!

      HoW is one of my favourite games and so easy to come back too after sometime away. Let's hope you can find time for some 18thC action this coming Winter season...

      Delete
  2. Good stuff Steve. To be honest, when you initially mentioned the HEIC cavalry were away scouting, but “may turn up later” I wondered if this was shades of Adrianople/Harpdrianopolis… And indeed the arrival of the light cavalry very much did ensure things were turning in favour of the HEIC.
    Your “toys” all look lovely, as does your terrain. As the defender it never hurts to bolster your defences, whether that’s with gabions or earthworks or whatever.
    FWIW I once remember playing in a PBM game set in renaissance Italy where I defended with three earthworks. The troops were told to keep out of sight. Two of the earthworks were defended by a full contingent of troops whereas the other earthwork - on the far flank - was manned only by a few soldiers, but they were instructed to “accidentally” let themselves be spotted by the enemy and give the impression the earthwork was fully manned/defended. Yup, that ruse worked and the enemy concentrated their efforts in a frontal assault on the other two (heavily defended) redoubts.
    Sure, you need howitzers and mortars - but perhaps more camels. And elephants. And, well… you get my gist. More of everything really.
    A return to some AVBCW gaming would be nice to see. You already have decent forces, so presumably wouldn’t need much extra - apart from, say, anything specifically required for a particular scenario. I have toyed with the idea of using the Irregular Miniatures 28mm AVBCW Police to battle against Welsh guerillas/bandits (I suspect they call themselves Freedom Fighters) in the fictional setting of Rhod Gilbert’s Llanbobl.
    Whatever you decide to do - good luck.
    Cheers,
    Geoff ⚔️⚔️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geoff and glad you enjoyed the visual whole of the game. I have no idea about Adrianople, so pure chance that the cavalry aspect may have a passing resemblance to the historical action.

      When I get more toys painted, then I might fight the Asquith scenario as written, as it offers something a bit different. I like the idea of hidden troops which I'll try and remember for future FtF games. I have camels and rockets awaiting the return of the muse, but enough elephants for now, which might be a shocking statement for some;)!

      I find the AVBCW rather fun to play as you have much more freedom of action and kit compared to say the SCW. As Bob Cordery pointed out it really is just another ImagiNations type setting, which is my general go to for games these days.

      Delete
  3. Don’t blame you getting this lot out again, they’re a feast for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steve, an enjoyable outing. The visuals are very good, doing most of the work of transporting us to that theatre before the first dice are even rolled. All your efforts for CWD have paid off handsomely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm! The concentrated spurt of painting has paid off for sure as now I can get small games in like this, which is nice. a few more units for each side and then I can up the ante and play slightly bigger games.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely looking game, and smashing report Steve. Very engaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard and very happy the you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  6. A real feast for the eyes Steve. I recognise some of those figures from the Pendraken AWI range - in particular the American riflemen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris! The infantry are either from the AWI or Ottoman 16thC ranges. I'm currently reading Duffy's book on the '45 and in a one chap named Oglethorpe had some chaps from America that he kept back as well as one First Nations chief, which I hadn't heard about before. As a result I thought I'd use my American riflemen instead of the Afghans. Of course I now want to field a small unit of First Nation troops just because I can!

      Delete
  7. Nicely done Steve a really nice period and your battle shows what can be done in a small space 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! I'm really enjoying the period and gaming on a 2' x 2' board does make it sooo easy to get a game in:).

      Delete
  8. Don't know how I managed it Steve, but I obviously overlooked this post earlier!
    This looked like another great game of SYW in India - maybe we could call it the FRIW (French and Real Indians War)?!
    I don't think you need to adjust much - the French were just a bit unlucky with poor activation - but isn't that friction what a lot of us want from rules nowadays - if you don't like it, just don't use that part - let the troops automatically have their turn when it comes around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better late than never Keith! We're only at the small tweaks stage here now, so pretty much all sorted. I love friction in my games, especially when playing solo, as you can never quite be sure as to what is going to happen, or not, as the case may be. As you say, if you don't like it, just leave it out. All that matters is that you enjoy the game!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. It's so nice, that you still use HoW.

      Delete
    2. HoW are my default rules for the 18thC Andre and are so easy to 'tweak' for various periods in this century, yet still give a very good game.

      Delete