Saturday 28 October 2023

HEIC Factory

I've been meaning to take some photos of my finished Blotz mdf model that I picked up at a local wargames show in August. This featured in the recent game Dave and I ran at the CWD. Normally I go a scale down for my buildings, but at only £5.00, this was too good a bargain to pass up. I had planned to add more detail, but time was against me and I finished painting it the afternoon before the show! Still I don't think it looks too bad and am pretty pleased with the result.

The finished model with it's worn whitewash finish.

The fine surface polyfilla render applied to the walls has worked a treat.

I had planned on painting the door and entrance facade with Indian style decoration.

The rear of the factory compound.

Some 10mm figures to help give it a sense of scale.

Fortunately the width is just big enough for my 40mm wide bases.

Having a bigger courtyard than I would normally get with 6mm buildings, means I can populate it a bit, which is nice.



Painting
In terms of painting, this was the process I followed:
  • Everything was given a black undercoat, which helps seal the mdf, making it easier to paint the follow on colours.
  • The buildings and walls were given a good coat of beige, from a random DIY tin I had lying around.
  • These were then given a good coat of undiluted Devlin Mud wash, which was allowed to dry thoroughly.
  • The walls and buildings were then given a dry brush of GW Bleached Bone (or the current equivalent), making sure that the strokes went vertically on the walls, as anything else looks wrong. This helps to give the impression of rain staining the walls which naturally runs down them!
  • Finally a rough drybrush of white was applied, varying the amount in places to help give that weathered and worn look. 
  • The wooden beams were given a dot of dark brown to make them stand out against the white. I wasn't too precious about any white showing on them, as whitewash and plaster gets everywhere.
To be honest when I started painting, I thought that it was going to be a horrible mess, as I was in a bit of a rush. Fortunately the process worked well, as I'd used this technique before, but the pressure of the occasion made me doubt it!

As mentioned above, I had planned on adding some Indian decoration in places, but actually not having the time to do it means that this can be used for Siciliy or North Africa, for the odd game where it might be appropriate.

So I hope you like it and found how I went about it useful. For the first time in ages I've got a small solo game planned and set up, which is fun, before I sit down and watch the final of the Rugby World Cup. I hope it's a cracker but the weather might be iffy in Paris, whichs is a sahme, as watching the All Blacks in full flow is sublime, or the South African winger Cheslin Kolbe who is scarily fast.

TTFN.


20 comments:

  1. Very fine piece of real estate, Steve! It looks perfect. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks excellent Steve. Fits well with your figures.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris😊! I do think the elephants might not squeeze through the gate though...

      Delete
  3. Very nice Steve. πŸ‘πŸ‘
    Hopefully the factory will be frequently fought over (making the best of your £5.00 bargain investment).
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geoff! I do have a simple scenario I'd like to try out, so hopefully it will get some table time soon.

      Delete
  4. Excellent work on a good looking model Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job Steve. The addition of a textured surface to MDF hugely elevates their look in my opinion and helps later with the painting. I know you like to go one scale down, but that building looks ‘very right’ especially when it is intended to allow for occupation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm! You need to add some texture to hide the joins, if nothing else, but adding it to the whole really lifts the model IMHO. Given that buildings and BUA's rarely featured in the battles, this works well as a standalone piece and looks right.

      Delete
  6. Nice explanation of the technique used, and the result is very effective. I think if you are going to put infantry on the top of the buildings etc, it will look better if they are in the same scale - 10mm infantrymen on top of a 6mm factory would look a bit odd, wouldn't they??
    I hope you enjoyed the RWC final - most people here didn't, obviously, although we do have a large SA immigrant population, so not everyone is upset about the result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a one off building, where you might want to put troops on top, then you are right Keith and the same scale is appropriate. For BUA's where you can move the buildings about, then 6mm works a treat.

      The final wasn't a classic, as the weather hampered things in the first half, but it was certainly tense! I think the All Blacks did well to make a come back and almost snatch it towards the end. At least they played some nice attacking rugby and got the only try.

      Delete
  7. That's a real bargain for such a fine little model. And very adaptable to different times and places too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blotz kind of fly under the radar, but they do have a really nice range of models at very good prices. As with all mdf kits, they do benefit from a bit of pimping, hence the addition of roof tiles etc from other manufacturers.

      Delete
  8. Excellent looking factory/ compound and I agree, it's lucky you didn't make it sub continent specific as it'll work well in the Mediterranean and North Africa, very nice finish and explanation too, thanks!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With hindsight I'm happy it ended up with a generic finish and hope to use it for a Sicily game at some point. Glas the explanation was useful too:).

      Delete