Tuesday 7 March 2023

Books, Bugs & Butterflies

With the weather forecast to take a turn for the worse, I thought I'd do a bit of an update on what's been going on here since my last post. A real mish mash of stuff which I hope might contain something of interest for you.

Books
Two books arrived this weekend just gone and absolute crackers they are too. 

I've really enjoyed all of Dalrymple's books and so far this is an absolute cracker. It was bought for some background info for some form of planned Honourable East India Company based games. Still early days but you realise how little of this period you were taught in school. For example I didn't realise that the 'Boston Tea Party' belonged to the HEIC and that the 'Colonists' were worried that the HEIC might expand there operations to America! Certainly that last part piqued my interest for some 'what if?' games were they did land troops there, but that's for another time...

I've been a big fan of Dan Mersey's rules ever since I helped play test 'Lion Rampant' and some of the other titles too in his catalogue. I pondered about getting these but one evening whilst surfing the 'net, I came across a new copy for a price that was too good to refuse. The production values are superb as you would expect from an Osprey book. I've only skimmed it so far but am very impressed with what I've seen.



Bugs
I've never really been a fan of classic SciFi films and games, but have grown to love the HG Wells and Steam Punk milieu over the years. When 'In Her Majesty's Name' came out I bought the rules, loved the background but frankly the games were a disappointment. Shame as they promised so much. The same happened with another set of rules which for the life of me I cannot remember! But having bought Xenos Rampant I popped into the attic to dig out the figures I still had from those times.

Some 'classic?' GW plastic kits bought for 'IHMN' and never used. A bit on the large side for 10mm but would work even if a bit of a squeeze. I've always loved the 'Dreadnought?' on the left and will definitely used that in some shape or form.

I amassed a load of 6mm figures for skirmish games (mad I know at this 'scale') that did get used, but then like so many projects simply got sidelined. Looking at them now I wonder how the hell did I paint them and add highlights? I sure as hell couldn't do that now?

A good sized 15mm Platoon or Company for the ruleset that I cannot remember the name of. Demo'd at a show and then not used since. I had fun painting them but this futuristic look doesn't float my boat anymore.



I will probably use the 6mm figures to get some trial games in at some point just to get a hang of the rules. Ultimately my aim is some form of Victorian SciFi in the future but I have plenty of other stuff in the queue as it is.

Butterflies & 18thC India
The 'Anarchy' book above has certainly whetted my appetite for some games set in India between the HEIC and one of the many States and their Allies that they fought. I'm in full 'Butterfly' mode at present and I'm certainly having lots of fun thinking of what figures to use etc, but currently am very much in research mode. To this end I dug out the following:

Rescued from my 'to sell' pile as I hadn't remembered that it contains quite a bit of info on India (unsurprisingly) but in the period I'm exploring. I thought it only covered Victorian conflicts!

Not the best Black Powder supplement to be honest, but it does have a very useful basic set of stats for the HEIC and their Opponents.

As with many of my rules, bought somewhat on a whim. Whilst it doesn't cover the 18thC per se, there is some useful info and some good ideas that could fit into a campaign.


France 1940
Unusually for me, despite the above distractions of the 'Wargames Butterlfy', I'm managing to maintain a pretty good focus on getting stuff prepped and painted for the forthcoming campaign. I now have enough for the first scenario, which I hope to play by the weekend.

The M/C & Sidecar form the HQ for the Recce force which will be supported by these Armoured Cars. I must say painting Panzer grey at this scale is tricky to get tight, as you don't want them to be too light. I think I've found a good compromise which works well on the table.

Trucks and Pz 38's awaiting priming, which won't happen for a while as the weather is too cold.

A mix of Artillery, AA, Support Units and Half-Tracks again awaiting priming and grit on some bases. All will be required later on in the campaign.


Terrain 
My focus has been on getting troops etc ready, but I do need to make some barricades and a few decorative items for the table. Given the cold weather we are forecast these should jump to the fore in the next day or two.

You might well wonder why I have put a picture of an ASDA flannel under Terrain? Well it cost me the bargain price of £0.70 and it looks a good colour for some Summer crops in a field. I need to do an experiment to see whether I need to drybrush it to add higlights, leave it as is (once cut to size) or base it as per my other fields. I'm hoping it will look good but if not I've not exactly wasted too much money!


An In Other News
My good friend Keith Flint has recently announced the date for this years Cotswold Wargaming Day . All being well Dave and I will be putting on another game. Currently we are looking at something set in 18thC India which could be fun, hence my current research frenzy. Updates will surely follow and I hope to see some of you there this year?

TTFN.


34 comments:

  1. Gosh, that was a whirlwind of wargaming wonderings and wanderings.
    What colour is that flannel? I may get one for my 2mm terrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do tend to have lots of projects 'on the go' Richard, but rarely anything actually happening with them! For myself it means that I can flit between them as my mood takes me, so I don't feel 'forced' into doing anything. As for the flannel, no colour is given on the label I'm afraid. Under daylight it is more corn yellow but under artificial it's now looking more mustard yellow. They do a mix of colours so worth checking them out and i'm sure they'd work well for your 2mm Armies.

      Delete
  2. Lots of great looking stuff there; nice work on that 6mm SF stuff!! Really looking forward to more early WW2 games from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks JWH and I must say I was pretty impressed with what I had done with these 6mm figures, given that I hadn't looked at them for years. Sadly now I can't pick out much of the detail which is a shame as they are beautifully sculpted. Hopefully France 1940 will kick of soon...

      Delete
  3. A great mix of stuff going on, as usual Steve. I like the look of that Dalrymple book..... The Haythornthwaite one is in my library and has been oft consulted but I kind of thought it was mostly focussed on the Victorian era and there wasn't all that much on earlier periods...could just be my falling memory though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith! I highly recommend the Dalrymple book as it covers quite a wide and varied amount in the run up to the HEIC operations. The Haythornthwaite book is a great primer and will give you a good overview of who your HEIC troops would be fighting.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Steve - I obviously "misremembered" then - its a while since I last looked at it and I am getting quite old, like most of us! Off to the Auckland Library site to (hopefully) whistle up the book!

      Delete
    3. Easily done Keith and I only 'remembered' when I saw the book and opened the contents page just in case. Happy I did so as there is plenty of good basic info to get the creative juices flowing.

      Delete
  4. some goodly stuff Steve - lesson from the attic ... never get rid of anything :-) Good to see the France '40 stuff in the queue. Looks like lower temperatures for the next week or so, its just not worth spraying either primer or varnish.

    Good colour on the flannel - colour is everything for these things, so you just have to get them as you come across them. Some good reads there, I would find Haythornthwaite the most interesting ... but would most likely buy the Last Argument of Kings :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a to get rid of pile, that is slowly being whittled down as I put stuff back on the shelves! The weather is certainly playing having with my painting schedule, but at least I can get some games in and scenery made.

      When you see something that might be of use, it's definitely the case of buying it while you can. I see we have some dark brown flannels at home, but I think SWMBO would object to me turning them into harrowed fields;).

      The LAoK book is OK, but not great for the SYW IMHO. Plenty of useful info in there and am looking forward to getting reacquainted with it again.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, it’s me … Norm, was responding from a new machine and hadn’t yet signed in go Google.

      Delete
    3. I wondered who it was Norm as Blogger can be a law unto itself at times. A few regular visitors here are always sent to the Spam folder, despite repeatedly 'saying' they are not!

      Delete
  5. A variety of wargaming ideas happening for you. The flannel for terrain is a clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I can't claim credit for the flannel idea as I'm sure I've seen it used on other Blogs.

      Delete
  6. Oh bu99er!! I’d just almost finished a Comment when it disappeared. Grrrr 😠😤 OK, so now I’d better try remember whatever the heck it was I’d typed…

    The HEIC book looks good. As an aside, I once purchased from eBay an old East India Company coin - so I could hold it in my hand and wonder “who else has held this coin in the days of the Raj?”.

    I do have some sci-fi stuff (again via eBay) but usually purchased “because it looks nice” yet without thinking whether I have any suitable opponents. 10mm colonial marines don’t match with 15mm generic sci-fi troopers. D’oh!!!

    By coincidence I was flicking through Irregular Wars only last week - mulling over the possibilities of late 16th century Ireland or the various wars between Dutch and Portuguese. Pendraken make lovely 10mm figures suitable for Ireland, whereas the best bet for Dutch/Portuguese would be Grumpy’s 15mm (from Eureka). Decisions, decisions…

    I trust your terrain works out as expected. Why not get a patterned flannel and claim it’s “crop circles”?

    Cheers,

    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was given a Biafran coin when I lived in Nigeria, incredibly small and light but some toe rag stole it from my bungalow, something which I regret.

      One thing with SciFi is you can use anything you want. I could battle my 6mm figures against the 15mm in a sort of Lilliput Wars milieu, but I do prefer the same scale figures for both sides. There are some lovely SciFi models these days, much, much better than the offerings when we were kids.

      Reading Dalrymples book has made me ponder some Irregular Wars type games, given that I've always fancied using troops in morions ever since loving the 'Flashing Blade' tv series as a kid. Just another thing to add to the list1

      Crop circles in the flannel? Don't give me ideas!

      Delete
  7. You are full of surprises! The interest in Sci-Fi and Xenos Rampant is not a topic I expected. I picked up Xenos Rampant when it was released for possible use in Star Wars. Have yet to read it, though.

    Lots going on on the hobby front. I tend to worry about 15mm Panzer Grey being too dark. Just the opposite of you.

    One day, I would enjoy joining you fellas at the Cotswold Wargaming Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I would say 'interest' is pushing it a bit, but I do like the ability to use some of the lovely models and figures out there alongside my existing forces. I certainly think the Victorian Steam Punk aesthetic has improved the SciFi offering and as mentioned, the 'In Her Majesty's Name' seeting was brilliant. I'm flicking through the book at bedtime as I don't want to get too distracted from France 1940...

      It would be great to see you this side of the pond one day Jon as I'm sure you wouldn't find any trouble getting games in, being shown around etc.

      Delete
  8. Great stuff sir! Really love the early WWII minis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal! I was a dyed in the cloth Normandy onwards gamer for years, but these past few years I've grown to love all of the Early War settings and AFV's, which are many and varied.

      Delete
  9. HEIC landing troops in America…very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear JBM, have I set you off on a new path with your AWI troops? If so see you soon;).

      Delete
  10. So much stuff going on Steve. I found the Dalrymple book extremely interesting and it raised my interest in potentially fighting colonial wars in India around 1760’s. Mainly for me as a way of expanding my AWI collection into an another theatre. Whilst I haven’t taken the project any further it remains something I might well be interested in developing in the future ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like to have a few things bubbling away Matt, so I can chop and change as my wont takes me. So the snow today means no priming nor painting, but I can get some games in or read a book etc.

      My thought was to expand my very basic AWI forces too as so far I've found very little info on the earlier uniforms, assuming there were any around the 1750's - 1760's. In 10mm I can hopefully get away with a fair bit. I can see this being a good project for me this year and with the added incentive of the game at the CWD in October.

      Delete
  11. Wow - lots going on there! :-) I don't know how you have the energy... Dalrymple is always good value, although I really don't want to be tenpted down the HEIC rabbit hole. Luckily I don't think we know too much about 18th century flags as used in India, do we? ;-) Good luck with all your projects.

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I certainly husband what passes for energy these days David. I find after about an hour or so my shaky arm has had enough of painting and needs a good break. So a little and often is what works for me, when I'm in the mood of course!

      I found some good info via Google on some old TMP messages about flags. I won't post the link in case it does send you off in a new direction;)!

      Delete
  12. 6mm skirmish>> that is madness!
    i've used cloth/towels/corduroy for fields before and liked the way it looked in the end. mostly for my 15mm ACW stuff. I'll be interested to see what you make of it because it is the right color.
    I had that same dreadnought years ago.. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what I was thinking of Stew, but a friend sold the miniatures and I helped him with some stuff, so sort of felt obliged to play games with them. To be fair they are beautifully sculpted and how they achieved that detail I never know. Certainly far too small for my tastes now with 10mm ticking all the boxes at present.

      We have a good fabric shop in town but as I have no need to go there, I'm not sure what is on offer. Corduroy is a good shout and must remember to keep an eye out for stuff like that.

      Delete
  13. Hi Steve....The Book "Anarchy" looks like just the sort of book I like...I need to get a copy...thanks for the tip off. Also I really like those German vehicles, painted and unpainted, they look great.....such things have always been of great interest to me. Maybe one day I will buy some...maybe...Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll enjoy it Tony as it is full of wonderful bits of info. I think I'll get his book 'The Return of the King: The Last Battle for Afghanistan' and some point too. I've heard good things about it and with recent history something we should probably all know more about.

      Delete
  14. Lots of items for inspiration there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and they have certainly kick started a bit of a painting spurt:).

      Delete
  15. Wow Steve you were not wrong about the butterfly effect, I might be tempted to bring the War of the Worlds stuff to the Cotswold yet? - So many choices. Xenos Rampant does look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many ideas to tempt me Stu, but recently I have managed to keep a general focus. WotW at the CWD would be cool and I would love to do something like this in 10mm. I need to find some models that I like for the Alien invaders. Xenos Rampant does look good and has the huge advantage that the rules engine is common to the Rampant stable, so very easy to chop and change.

      Delete