Tuesday 14 July 2020

Airfix Magazine - A Trip Down Memory Lane

One of the abiding memories of my early childhood is of reading copies of my Dad's Airfix magazines. They were avidly poured over again and again, with me and my friends dreaming of being able to convert figures or scratchbuild vehicles as seen within the hallowed pages. A few attempts were made (see below) but nothing to compare to anything seen within.

Over the years my mind has wandered back to these times, especially when seeing copies for sale (often at silly prices) at various wargames shows. This also applied to ebay and last week I was browsing as one does and checked out what Airfix magazines were available. As chance would have it a chap in Bristol was selling various volumes in near mint condition, but more importantly ones that covered the period mentioned above. A few messages later and a trip into town and I was the proud owner of Volumes 11 & 12 for about a £1 a copy. I was a very happy bunny to say the least!

So over the past few days I've been flicking through both volumes and it has been pure unadulterated nostalgia. Memories have come flooding back of treasured articles and pipe dreams that simple never happened. I've taken a few 'photos to give you an idea of what I've been enjoying of late.


Volume 11 in all their glory, with the Boeing P-26 on one of the covers. This plane always seemed so cool yet rather impractical in its colours, but as my Dad made the USS Yorktown model with these on the deck, it has remained a favourite of mine ever since.

The Humbrol advert I had completely forgotten about! The Airifx planes were always alluring but alas my pocket money (if I had any at that time) meant they were out of my price range.

I loved the drawings inside, of which there are many. I suppose if I were older at the time I might have attempted these paint schemes.

Adverts for the Royal Navy? That passed me by first time around. I doubt we'd ever see this again in a modelling magazine.

Part of a series on the Universal Carrier that is just full of great information.

The Bombing colours articles I remember very clearly, especially the lovely drawings that went with the articles. These covered from Inter-War, through the Phoney War and into the Battle for France and beyond. They are of particular use now given my interest in this period from a wargaming point of view.

Another well remembered set of articles on German Wehrmacht markings. As kids we loved the German kit as it was so varied and exotic compared to the Allied stuff.

One of the conversions that seemed attainable. I think my friend may have attempted this.

Of little interest to me at the time, but of great interest now. I had forgotten how small the text was, ditto the 'photos.

The advent of the Tamiya centre page spreads that had me drooling over the images. This would evolve into the Verlinden 'photos that may have been in the Airfix magazine, but definitely in Military Modelling.

The wonderful work of Roy Dilley. I attempted very basic conversions, normally cutting a head or arm off and re-positioning with a pin. Not very durable from a wargames point of view!

The technical drawings to aid conversions. Far too complex for me at the time to even attempt! I think I would struggle even now, despite having been a full time modelmaker for some 30+ years.

The adverts that always were a joy to behold, kicking off many ideas or dreams that never came to fruition.

Having the Airfix Roman fort, this is something that I wanted to make and wargame on it.

The first in a series on medieval siege weapons. This I did make in balsa wood and added tissue paper to it represent leather coverings to prevent it being set in  fire.

I made this with my Dad's help from hardboard, using the textured surface to represent the brickwork. As I never based it, it kept breaking and was repaired countless times. I'm so tempted to make this now but for my 10mm figures, but we'll see.


As I've only glanced through the two volumes, I'm really looking forward to reading them in more detail. The naval and civilian aircraft articles are of little interest to me, but pretty much everything else is. What it has made me realise is how lucky we are these days to have pretty much every variant of tank, plane or figure easily available, within reason. Back in the late '60's and early '70's, if you wanted something slightly different, you would have to scratchbuild or convert it. With no 24 hour tv or the internet, for a distraction, this must have seemed something most modellers could achieve. 

I hope you have enjoyed this little trip down Memory Lane as much as I have. Now I feel the urge to buy some Airfix ACW figures and turn them into who knows what!

8 comments:

  1. While I never collected the Airfix Magazine I understand your joy at reading, or rereading, the articles from them. Those adverts did spark the imagination, rather than the popup ads we now get online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea whether my Dad took out a subscription then, assuming that was available then. With no other reference material easily at hand, keeping the magazines in a sense became the Google of the day, especially for things like the Wehrmacht Markings, the Carrier story etc. We used to look at the adverts for H&R (I think) and marvel at all of the stuff that was available. We might even have bought a few of their bits when we were older, but were rather surprised at how small they were!

      Delete
  2. Hi Steve- Excellent nostalgia- Thanks - I'd like to re-visit the old AIRFIX Cataloges from the 60's and 70's. What I appreciate with the AIRFIX Magazine is the wealth of Technical Articles - and Conversion or Scratch Modelling articles. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the nostalgia Kev:). Looking at the contents, the magazine hit its stride in the late '60s & early '70's. I would have loved to have got Volume 13 that would have covered 1971, but sadly that had gone. The articles are wonderful, ditto the series such as Bombing Colours, with plenty of info for us wargamers too.

      Delete
  3. Nice score! I have never seen an Airfix mag before now but I imagine they would be a great resource and historical memento.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. It might be worth seeing if they are available in the US, but given your postal charges it might make them prohibitely expensive to get:(.

      Delete
  4. Lovely bit of nostalgia Steve. The old magazines had more content and fewer adverts, methinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it James:). They certainly did pack a lot of content in, given that this was pre-Osprey so not that easy to find stuff, short of the library or relatively expensive books. I can see why you picked a period and stuck with it way back then.

      Delete