I find myself in a reflective mood, post the Colours wargames show, as it seems to me a time of the year when I take stock of things after the Summer has passed, with the onset of the desire for some Autumn and Winter campaigning and painting beckoning. Chatting with fellow gamers is always such a joy, especially when you meet kindred spirits, as I did once again this year.
I suppose maybe with the advancing years, our long lost youth holds many wonderful but, maybe somewhat rose tinted, memories of those halycon days. Certainly the Summer of '76 fits the bill for sure which was somewhat replicated this year, but just a tad warmer! So what was it about those days that I, and others too, seem keen to re-gain?
Personally it's just getting back to enjoying playing with the toys, having fun and not worrying too much about who won, how historically accurate our forces are etc. Afterall I can still remember playing on our driveway, with Airfix and Matchbox figures and models, with whatever we had to hand. Outdoors invariably became the Western Desert, indoors Normandy. We didn't worry about the fact that a Crusader MkII wouldn't have met a Tiger I in NWE, we were just happy to have something to play with!
I fear these days that certain sets of rules (I mention no names!) have almost brow beaten us into trying to get every OOB correct, forgetting the fact that this was only ever in theory on a piece of paper, but never reflected the reality of the situation on the ground. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me for some that fun of doing research and creating scenarios from it has given way to ready made 'plug-&-play' ones. Of course they have their place, but to me they are maybe too prescriptive for the sort of games I like to play these days?
So for many years now, I've wholeheartedly embraced the ImagiNations route, certainly for the 'Black Powder' period, which has been very liberating and, dare I say it, fun! Being able to use any toys I like, within reasonably historical constraints, has taken me back to those happy childhood games. This has now even extended to WWII and my South Glos and French Canadien forces, that were completely inspired by David in Suffolk and his fictional West Suffolks and there battles in Italy. We briefly chatted about this at Colours and how liberating I found this, especially for my narrative campaign approach to gaming these days. At some point the Cambridgeshire or Huntingdonshire Regiments will make their debut in Burma or the Far East
Well the wargames butterfly has been rather frantically flapping its wings here, as since buying the Sino-Japense War book, I have been actively pondering how best to game this. For many a year I have fancied getting a small Chinese force, but the recent video which mentioned L3/35's being used in Burma tipped me over the edge. Temptation is such a terrible thing! So I've ordered the Osprey book on Chinese troops 1937-1949 for a bit more background info before deciding upon which troops to buy. Currently I'm torn between using WWI Germans or British, with the Indo-China range a big favourite too. Being able to game in some different theatres with the Chinese and of course the Japanese is a big bonus. Then of course you've got the Flying Tigers for air support, along with some other cool aircraft that rarely get a mention, the 200th Iron Division and so on and so forth. Watch this space!
Whilst researching the above War, the Warlord era gave me an idea to sort of use that as an idea for another AVBCW campaign. But rather than Warlords per se, I thought that having Parish Councils fighting each other would certainly fit the background fluff and add a bit of a fun narrative twist to the games.
Inspiration is coming thick and fast, as Browning's 'War of the Austrian Succession' has given me a good few ideas for some Rebels & Patriots type games, similar to the 'Wienerschnitzel Krieg' campaign I played last year. I didn't know about all the small scale actions going on in Moravia, Bohemia and Bavaria, with the Austrians sending in their Hussars, Pandours, Grenzers et all to wreak havoc, alongside the locals joining in. So with this in mind I'm hoping to paint up some more of my 19thC troops (I know, wrong period!) to play this out in the similar time frame to the Wienerschnitzel Kreig. Maybe even the same protaganists will appear again?
Having loved the Blandford ACW book, I treated myself to the Blandford books on the British Infantry and Cavalry 1742-1939, by Robert and Christopher Wilkinson-Latham. Although not as good as the ACW book, they do have a lot of ground to cover in comparison, so maybe I'm being a bit harsh! Having said that, they are a useful reference for my ImagiNations forces and nicely complement other books I have that feature within this time frame.
Right, enough waffle for me and so time to get back to 'real life' stuff! Fingers crossed I might get some priming done later on today, to push some projects forward for use in some planned up coming games.
Thanks for getting this far and, if Blogger actually shows this up in Feeds etc, thanks for reading and any comments greatly appreciated!
TTFN.
Hi Steve, 'reflective mood' is something that seems to be grabbing more of my attention these days. I do wonder whether in an increasingly complex world, we tend to look back on more simpler times as a bit of a refuge.
ReplyDeleteYour new temptations are taking you into the world of new and shiny, so at least that is all well and good :-)
I think with age, we realise that we don't need all the shiny chrome stuff that seems to be popular in some rulesets these days. The whole 'KISS' principle works for me and is certianly easier on the brain!
DeleteLots of ideas and temptation as always, which keeps me on my toes and the motivation to researchm paint and game high.
What a wonderful post, Steve. I particularly liked and leaned into your reflections about complexity and just having fun.
ReplyDeleteThanks Richard:)! Looking back at my club days, the fun seemed to be very much missing from many games for many reasons. These days finding like minded souls who just enjoy gaming, with winning a bonus, is very refreshing. Solo gaming really allows me to explore stuff I wouldn't be able to otherwise and also allows me to have more fun as a result.
DeleteYour post is an interesting reflection of your current state of hobby and mind. Hobbies are supposed to offer fun and relaxation. Fo me, it is much more satisfying to simply watch the game unfold and the narrative reveal itself than winning or losing. This post popped up in my blogroll without a hitch!
ReplyDeleteI agree that watching the action unfold is very satisfying, with the story developing from that, especially if part of a campaign. Good to know this appeared quickly, but currently still very patchy with regards to updates on my Reading List.
DeleteCool post Steve, its was great hearing what's been whirling around in your head. I've long thought about a 7YW Skirmish just using Pandours, Grenzers v Prussian FreiKorps troops. Now you've got me going again.....sigh!
ReplyDeleteThanks Ray:)! I reckon you could easily use many of the rules and ideas from your 1812 games, if you wanted to keep things small, or naturally you could scale things up to suit which ever rules take you fancy.
DeleteAn entertaining post Steve and lots going on in amongst your grey cells! I remember Billy Connoly talking about how he realised he didn't really miss grimy suit covered buildings in Glasgow and smelling the bread in the bakers close at 5am - what he actually missed was his youth!
ReplyDeleteAlways plenty of ideas Keith, no worries on that front. I reckon he was right, I'm probably just hankering after my youth;)!
DeleteHi Steve. Great post.
ReplyDeleteSeems you have a whole host of interesting and thought provoking options there. Using the mid 19th Century mdfs for mid 18th Century is an ideal way to get it to the table. Why wait while collecting ‘more stuff’?
As you intimated, solo really releases the shackles and lets you do whatever you want and the way you want, while ImagiNations is even more liberating, and makes all your figures relevant for whatever game you can concoct, while firing the imagination to compose some back-story.
Likeminded face to face opponents can be a rare breed (but welcome when found), so the soloing gives you free rein.
I enjoy your posts on varied games in different eras, and the fact that you enjoy seeing them played out shines through.
Thanks for the reflective post…time for me to do some reflecting 🙃.
All the best.
Martin
Thanks Martin:)! ImagiNations and solo gaming certainly give me free rein to try out all the ideas I have going on in the background. If they don't work, then no problem at all. Always good to take time and take stock of things, that's for sure.
DeleteGreat post Steve, I completely agree about the 'simplicity and fun' angle. I think my holy grail is to find rules/games which 'feel' right for the given period, while remaining as simple as possible, so you can go away from a game thinking 'that was believable, it might have happened like that' but not at the cost of frying your brain in complexity!
ReplyDeleteAnd thanks for the 'shout out' about the fictional regiments etc - I am slightly embarrassed because my West Suffolks etc have not been seen on the table for ages! Must try to remedy that - I have a new scenic cloth for mediterrainean settings, which needs to be used!
Great to talk to you at the show, I'm sure we'll do so again..
Thanks David:)! I think I'm lucky in the fact that I've found rules that just work for me, giving a fun game, not too complex but giving believable results. Happy days! The consistency of rules allows for, dare I say it, good and easy scenario creation, which is of course important to the enjoyment of the whole.
DeleteThe West Suffolks were a real light bulb moment for me:)! Trying to find the time to get a game in is always a challenge, but let's hope these chaps get to see their moment in the sun soon.
Simple and straightforward is best for me. If I only have a spare hour I’d like to play either full game, or at least plan & prepare for such a game - and certainly not spend the time getting bogged down with mega-detail & minutiae.
ReplyDeleteIt’s sufficient for me that something feels right (without overthinking things). For example, I’m happy to get on a plane and fly away on holiday, I don’t need to know how the aircraft work, thrust, fuel consumption etc.
You have a plan and you’re investigating your options - that’s good 😊
The only slight negative on the horizon is that the title of your post has given me an “ear worm” - specifically the song by Odyssey which starts with the line “zippin’ up my boots, going back to my roots”… Hopefully I can shake it soon 🤷♂️
Cheers,
Geoff
I think those of us of a certain age are moving towards the simple end of the specturm, not needing lots of bells and whistles too give a good game. I have the song as a fairly constant ear worm Geoff and I was going to try and work some more of the lyrics into the post, but failed utterly;)!
DeleteVery thoughtful and thought-provoking post Steve. Very enjoyable and you've certainly got your mojo working (cue the song).
ReplyDeleteTalking of songs, your post title got me looking up Odyssey's "Going Back to My Roots". A dancefloor classic!
Thanks Chris and it's good now and then to take stock of things. It is indeed a classic song, but I've given myself a bit of an earwork as a result!
DeleteExcellent post Steve and you have help to clarify a lot of my thoughts. I prefer the imagination wars over the real thing or even as you do, imagination units, as I find it a lot easier to research, i.e. I can make stuff up when necessary 😁
ReplyDeleteThe three game Italian-Greek campaign was great and I also find that three games is a sweet spot too. Better to have a complete campaign over just three games than an incomplete one with an epic scope. If you get to the third game and want to keep going there is nothing to stop you 😂
Thanks Ben and good to know you enjoy the ImagiNations route as much as I:). I've learnt the hard way that the potential epic nature of a campaign in my head doesn't match the reality of keeping it goin in the real World!
DeleteSteve! A very thoughtful post that really captures what the hobby ought to be about—fun, imagination, and playing the game without getting bogged down in pedantry.
ReplyDeleteAll the best, Andy
Thanks Andy and I couldn't agree more!
DeleteA thoughtful and thought provoking piece there, well worth the time to read and think on. Amongst friends rules are little more than the framework for the unfolding of the story on the tabletop battlefield. The story is what we remember, not the minutia of the rules we play with. Much to be said about imaginations gaming, but mainly how liberating it can be. Games in GHQ have whisked us away to Pendawar or Rhanzlistan, or closer to home South Staffs & Wolverhampton in the VBCW. But in recent years I've felt all games are just somewhere on the continuum derived from history which is our imagination, as our ongoing ACW games set in The Valley.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you thought so David:)! A very good point about the story is the thing that lingers in the memory. Your games show the value of 'ImagiNations' gaming, but ones firmly set within a historical context. All very inspiring, or they are for me!
DeleteLooking back over the last 3 posts I'm glad to see you keeping so busy with the hobby Steve. It seems you're popping with enthusiasm and new ideas. Interesting to hear your thoughts on research and creating scenarios - I've just been expressing the same views to fellow gamers on Facebook. All this 'breaking down barriers to entry' stuff has its place, but time spent researching, planning and collecting is part of the hobby, not some sort of 'barrier'. Hope to get together for some gaming in October, once I'm back from my hols.
ReplyDeleteI'm never short of ideas Keith, that's for sure:)! Maybe the 'Warhammer Generation' are so used to being spoon fed stuff that they are just not used to, or not interested in, doing the research and creating something from scratch. Their loss IMHO!
DeleteA meet up would be good, but only if the Poles have at least one 14TP tank Platoon to hand;)!
Lots of interesting ideas bubbling around for you Steve. Your reports of your games are always wonderful to look and to read, so I know we are in for some rippers, no matter which of the above you pursue.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes, James
Thanks for your very kind words James:)! Currently a spell of glorious weather means all my energy and focus is on the garden at present. Still thinking about gaming in the odd bit of down time though!
DeleteGlad you had fun at Colours, I think most battles I play aren't really historical, theres always an element of imagination I think, but good to get enthused anyway!
ReplyDeleteBest Iain
It was good to get to a show for that nice mix of inspiration and social getogether. I certainly take the history of a period or battle as the starting point and then work from there, as I enjoy the journey it takes me on:).
DeleteI couldn't agree more! Even when we try to play historically, there is always a strong element of ImagiNations as we are always deviating from what actually happened unless we slavishly follow the history - and where is the fun in that? (And there is always the point that even for more recent periods we rarely have all the facts...) Long Live Imagination! :-)
ReplyDeleteVery good points there David:)! I like to have a good 'historical' grounding for my games, from which I go in which ever direction takes me, which is great.
Delete