A bit of a pot pourri post, covering a mix of things that has been going in the background, so without further ado.
Books
Having got a bit more storage in the games room, whilst shifting piles of books that had lain the floor, I realised I was starting to run out of new titles to read. Whilst I still have a few left, I knew I wanted to add to the mix so that I had a bit more variety of reading material to hand.
Whilst browsing for new reading material and ideas for games, I came across this book which looks to be a really good read. It is certainly a conflict that I, and suspect most other gamers, know very little about. Having another outlet for my Japanese forces is a bonus and I ordered some buildings from Pendraken that will, to my eyes at least, pass muster for use in China, but also Burma too. I'm certainly looking forward to reading this in due course.
Buildings
I've gone a scale down for all of my games for more years than I can remember, with my first port of call being Battlescale and the Leven Miniatures range that Steve, brought on board a year or so ago. I have a mix of both, so tend to try and match with my existing buildings as much as possible.
Bases
With the cooler weather and after my recent Belgium 1940 game, I was spurred on to paint some bases that have lain in the queue far too long, sadly a common theme with me!
| British 2 pdr ATGs and a Bofors AA gun. |
| A German Flakvierling and an 88. |
| A German Pak 38 and Pak 40. |
| Italian 65mm infantry Guns. |
It was nice not only to spend time painting, but also to finally get some of these much needed items finished and ready for the games table. Still more to do, but I'm not far off finishing the core British and German WWII Infantry forces, so that will be my focus hopefully in the coming weeks and months ahead.
Fingers crossed I can get the table set up for the final Greco-Italian War 1940 campaign game in the next few days, but no rush to do this as I know I wont get chance to play the game probalby until the weekend.
As always, thanks for reading and any comments greatly appreciated!
TTFN.
Nice little buildings! Like you, I drop a scale or two on buildings for games but it does depend on the level of game recreated. Good to see Browning appear on a few reading lists of late. I enjoy seeing interest in the WAS.
ReplyDeleteI've found that these 6mm buildings work well for all the main rulesets I use and periods played; they just look right when on the table, or at least to my eyes they do. So far I'm enjoying Browning's book and the way he is setting out the basic background to the conflict, before delving into more detail. Something similar on the WSS would be good too for a future read.
DeleteThe buildings look good Steve. I’m sure they’ll look even better once you’ve painted & based ‘em to match you usual theme. The WW2 bases are nicely done too.
ReplyDeleteTBH I don’t really game much Western Europe WW2 stuff. My WW2 interests lay in the Eastern Front and a couple of more obscure early war campaigns - East Africa and Lebanon/Syria.
Cheers,
Geoff
I look forward to basing and painting them, but first I need to do a bit of assembly so that they can be primed. The Eastern Front certainly has lots to offer, with Barbarossa on my 'to-do list' at som epoint in the future.
DeleteNow you've got the Italian church and are reading the WAS book you could easily slip into doing the Italian theatre of the war!
ReplyDeleteOn that subject, it's a shame Battlescale don't do the rest of the Leven range. I wish I'd bought more when I had the chance.
You never know Chris, I just might do that:)! I saw on the Battlescale FB page that he is planning on bringing all the range back into production, but as sales of the 6mm buildings aren't massive, he is having to go back to producing gift item type products, which is where he started. Fingers crossed on theis front as like you, I wish I'd bought more way back when.
DeleteNice basing, they look lovely, some good books there plenty to keep you engrossed I should say. Those buildings are really very nice, I like them a lot and painted up should really add to the table top.
ReplyDeleteThanks Donnie and it is hard to get nice photos of WWII infantry etc and they are naturally uniformed to blend in! I'm looking forward to getting them cleaned, assembled and ready for priming, now that Autumn is here.
DeleteLots going on as usual Steve - its a while since I read anything by Max Hastings, but I never had an issue with his writing style. Stu over at Dust, Tears and Dice would like the Sino Japanese book, as he has been busy painting up forces for both sides of that conflict recently!
ReplyDeleteI think some people have mentioned his lack of primary research, instead relying upon previous authors work. I have no problem with this as most do it anyway, plus he takes all the strands to make a very compelling narrative. It was Stu's Blog that gave me the idea to look into this very conflict!
Delete