Saturday, 5 September 2026

Colours 2026 Show Report

It's early September, it's the start of Autumn, so that must mean it's time for my annual trip to the Colours wargames show, held at Newbury racecourse. Even though the traffic was unusually busy for the time of day on the M4, I still arrived about 10 minutes before the doors opened. As always it was good to see a large queue of people waiting to get in, which is not only good for the show, the traders but of course for us gamers as it means the show is in rude health and likely to continue for many a year to come.

Once inside, I took my time to have a bit of a wander around all three floors, just to see what is on offer, alongside my normal stop at the book stands, but more on that later. But first I know most people simply want to see the games on show, so without further ado here they are. Apologies if I get anything wrong, as there were some no-shows and some of the games were not as per the floor plan. First world problems and all that!

The Lance & Longbow Society, with their skirmish rules, 'By Oath Sire'. Too much table clutter for my liking, but good to see the game actually being played!

Company of Makers, with a mix of Sci-Fi skirmish games.

Interesting to see this banner and the funding provided by HM government.

Standing Ready Games? with some 1930's action going on.

Bataille Empire and 'The Battle of Fuentes de Onoro'.

Liverpool Wargames Association and Spartan vs Greek City State, 15mm.

The Pike & Shot Society and some 28mm ECW. 


Lots of lovely figures on display.

I always like to see a fortified manor house, as I want to make one for my games one day.


An idea of how big the table was. 

INWTS Games & 1940 Norway naval battle. This seemed to be very popular.

The Society of Ancients, Guagemela, using Impetus 2 (that will make Jon Freitag happy😉!).

A lone Persian showing a certain 'sang froid'.

Oxford Wargames Club, Bloody Big Battles, The Wilderness 1864.

Figures from Pendraken (10mm).

Leggetts and the 'Siege of Maiden Hillfort'.


Shepway Wargames and War of the Roses. I didn't clock this was the WotR until editing these photos!

A lovely castle.

Ditto the figures.

Beaconsfield Wargames and Sharp Practice?


Nicely done cobbles, maybe with embossed wallpaper?

Lots of lovely terrain, which caught my eye for my planned Italian hill town.



Wargames Association of Reading, DBMM & Cunaxa 401 BC.


Deeprose Games & 15mm Peninsula War.

Too Fat Lardies & Vexillarius Ancients?

It would appear to be the Battle of Marathon.


Southbourne Table Top & Boardgamers, Club 1813 (clever title!).


Ecorcheurs & 'Will the Portcullis Fall at the Castle?' A nice game, but they were struggling to see and manouevre the miniatures when I took this photo.

Lots of great terrain once again.

Sorry, but no idea on this one.

Anschluss Wargames & 'A Small Town in Russia'. they always do a really nice small game to demo their rules.


Sadly no idea on this game.

Table Top Battles & 'The Battle of Schleswig' in 15mm, using grides for movement etc.

Grey Company & 'Amon Hen'. We used to play these rules a lot at the club many years ago.

Peter Pig and their 'Bloody Barons' WotR rules.

Rapid fire demo game, France 1944 by the look of it.



My 'loot'. I love these books and from a quick flick through, this looks to be all I hoped it would be. Another project looms...?


Thoughts on the Show
In the end I spent 3 1/2 hours at the show, much longer than I normally would do. I decided to take my time and just wander, rather than feel the need to whizz round and get back home, which I normally do. This made the day much more enjoyable, allowing me take it all in, chat with people etc. So in no particular order:
  • Having had a wander, I sat down with Chris, Dave and Dr Mark Smith (General Lee) to play BBB and The Wilderness 1864. Even though I was comprehensively beaten by Mark, it was a great game and, as always with BBB, you get to appreciate how much terrain affects your actions. It was good to catch up with the chaps after the Waterloo game and to chew the cud as it were.
  • My bright yellow hoodie did the trick and I was happy to meet David from Suffolk, for a brief, but very pleasant chat. It's rare you get the chance to meet fellow Bloggers FtF, but when you do, you realise why you follow their Blogs, because we seem to share similar views and thoughts on our wonderful hobby. Sadly I didn't get to meet him again, but there is always another show or online.
  • The show has plenty of seating, which is we know, is not always the case at shows. The venue is bright and airy, so being able to take a break in pleasant surroundings is such a treat. Other shows take note!
  • Books. Despite having been going to Colours for many years now, I'm always amazed at some of the pricing on show and the differences between the sellers. Some of the prices have to be seen to be believed, especially for many books that I know are cheaper online and come with free delivery. 
  • This always seems to be a show for buyers, with the games coming in second place, compared to say Partizan which is the other way round. There was certainly a lot more Sci-Fi and 3D printing on show this year. Pendraken were noticeable by their absense, but will be back on the show circuit next year. I did notice that no-one was selling dice, tokens etc compared to other years, ditto rulebooks unless they came from some of the big boys. Maybe this simply reflects the online buying habits that are so common these days?
  • The show did seem busy, after the usual scramble for products on the lower floors, as by lunchtime, the top floor was more busy than usual, which again is good to see. Even when I left at 1.30pm, some people were still arriving. Good to see the show doing well again after a few years when it was looking so good compared to others around the country.
  • I think it was a good mix of games, with large and small on show, with those show stoppers and ones you could put on at home or at the club, with no trouble at all.
  • This year I noticed a slightly younger demographic, possibly as the result of more Sci-Fi and Fantasy being on show, with families in attendance and the kids seeming to have a good time.

What Next?
Well I have the final scenario for the Greco-Italian War 1940 all fleshed out, so it just remains for me to get things set up so that I can play it. After that I need to see what takes my fancy, but September is looking busy on the Home Front, so I;m not sure how much time I'm going to have for anything gaming related, other than reading books.

Right, enough waffle from me. I hope you enjoyed this and as always, any comments greatly appreciated, assuming Blogger allows you to see this!

TTFN.

30 comments:

  1. Thanks very much for the report, Steve. I shall look through all the pictures at leisure. Wish I could have seen the show but lots of pictures are a second best! Sounds like a good one and in rude health too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome David:)! When I can't make a show, I always appreciate those who post reports for us to enjoy. Certainly the show is doing well these past few years, which is good to see.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Steve, It's a lot of effort, I'm sure, but the reports are much appreciated. :-)

      Delete
  2. And yes, I love those Blandford books too and have pretty much all of them. They were one of the things that really got me into military history as a boy... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the designs, the hardcovers and the size of them too, making them such a joy to read and hold in the hand. I think I might try and treat myself to some more in due course:).

      Delete
    2. Yes, they are all well worth having! As you say, they are such a good and convenient design. The first Blandford I bought was Preben Kannik's Military Uniforms of the World In Colour, which cost me the then princely sum of 30 shillings in 1970! That was a lot of pocket money. It is very well thumbed now... Good hunting! :-)

      Delete
    3. A few more books ordered today:)!

      Delete
  3. A very nice report. some great looking games, like the size of a lot of these, really doable games Nice book to get too, the Blandfords are lovely books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie and nice to see more achievable games compared to the past few years, both in terms of terrain, table and figure size. Blandford books are indeed lovely thinks to have and to hold:).

      Delete
  4. Good show report-out, Steve. Yes, I did enjoy seeing an Impetvs game on display. Seemed like a good showing for 15mm games. A gaming scale I don’t often see featured in other UK shows. Happy that you had a good day out and that you had a chance to catch up with some fellow bloggers. I wonder who doesn’t have at least a few of the Blandford uniform books? Thanks for the show tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thik this is the first time I've seen Impetus at a show? It was good not to see wall-to-wall 28mm figures and to show visitors that there are other options for their games. Somewhat late to the party on the Blandford books, which I vaguely remember from the 1970's.

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed your show report, Steve. Thanks for sharing.
    As a rule, unless there is an exceptional or even just a fair price, I seldom ever buy books at wargame shows... the price hike is just insulting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Richard:)! I only buy books if they are a good deal, which this Blandford one was, or should I say about the same price as those seen on ebay. Some of the prices being charged is ridiculous, especially when you know they can be had far, far cheaper online.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the excellent report, Steve. Another good show indeed, plenty to see, and not toooo crowded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Martin and you make a good point about it not being too crowded, which was pleasant to see, with the odd exception for those wearing bulky rucksacks and not thinking about other people!!!

      Delete
  7. Thanks Steve, good comprehensive report on what looks to continue to be a good show. I watched a vid on it this morning and like that manor house, also saw a castle structure with a really small footprint.

    Plenty of seating …..worth shouting that from the rooftop and hope other shows listen.

    Most interesting is the scale diversity as well as the demographic spread.

    All good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good show, with certainly a broader range of games that aren't all 28mm and massive. Having stuff that can be done at home is great for those new to the hobby etc. They've increased the seating, so you can sit outside on pub style benches on both sides of the building, or just sit on the steps and enjoy the view. Partizan please take note!!! I did notice more families this year with non-teenage children, many of them enjoying themselves playing some of the smaller, fast and bloody skirmish games. Let's hope they stick around and progress to more historical games as they grow older...

      Delete
  8. Cheers for the photos Steve. Some lovely models - especially the buildings. I wasn't able to make it - again - as I headed west whilst you were heading east. I agree with you on table clutter. The most egregious example to my eyes was the Fuentes de Oñoro table with those long labels. It's a shame beach the terrain was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Chris and let's hope you can make it next year. Yep, some of the games which had good terrain and figures, were certainly spoilt visually by clutter, those large labels or, on one game, some hastily hand written ones on scraps of paper. Maybe they forgot them, but a shame as that was what my eyes were drawn to:(.

      Delete
  9. Hi Steve,

    Cracking tour of the show! Always great when a show is buzzing and in good health, and running into fellow bloggers in person is a proper bonus. Glad you got a good game of BBB in with the chaps despite Mark taking the win! Looking forward to seeing what project comes out of that new book addition.

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Andrew:). Always good to meet up with fellow gamers you know and as in this case, Bloggers in person. I'm pondering some ACW stuff at some point, but looking through my primed and unpainted figures in multiple drawers, I'm torn about what to start next...

      Delete
    2. I know that feeling all too well! I’m currently wading through drawers of 6mm Seven Years' War figures myself, trying to stay disciplined before the next shiny project takes over. An ACW foray sounds cracking though—you can never have too many civil war regiments on the go!

      All the best, Andy

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing your pix and comments Steve - I think the two games I liked the look of best were the Peninsula one and the Rapid Fire WW2. Glad you took the time to have good look around and make a proper day out of it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Keith:). I'm not sure what games stood out for my this year, maybe the Anschluss Russia one, purely because it is in a scale I play and on a similar sized board. Nice not to rush around like i normally do too!

      Delete
  11. Lots of lovely games there. Thanks for the pics Steve 😊
    I bought pretty much all of the Blandfords many years ago - absolutely chock full of information, uniform detail and, of course, the gorgeous artwork. For some reason the Imperial Russian book didn’t appeal to me.
    Like you, I also prefer to arrive at a show early then have a quick walk round before collecting any pre-orders from traders (no £££ spent on p&p = more to spend on books & figures). Maybe try a quick participation game if any really take my fancy before a final “lap” round the venue just in case I’d missed anything earlier. Ideally a nice spot of lunch would be good, but it’s often a struggle queueing for food plus you can’t always find somewhere to sit ☹️ I do like to leave early to avoid traffic and get home to view my “spoils” 😉
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Geoff:)! I didn't realise they have hundreds of titles, somewhat akin the the classic 'Observer' series from way back when. I must admit that it is the artowrk that really attracts me, with the Peninsula War one being the best IMHO.

      Partizan is a case in point for getting in early, so that you can actually get a good view of everything before the hordes of the great unwashed arrive;)! The queues for coffee and food at Colours were the longest I've seen, with one of the chaps taking 40 minutes to come back with coffee!

      Being able to leave early is a good point, especially Partizan, but even doing this, I hit the Hellish traffic on the M5 & M4.

      Delete
  12. There were some great games on show, Steve. It looks and sounds like you had a great day out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There were some grand looking games on show, you spent time chatting with fellow gamers there and you got a good addition to the library. A good day out in anyone's book!

    ReplyDelete