Wednesday 29 May 2024

Cold War Wargaming - Some Thoughts

Dearest Gentle Reader,
and esteemed members of the wargaming Ton*. Whilst I have been pretty busy with my usual parent/carer duties, sorting our son's old bedroom out and turning it into my games room, plus trying to get some gardening in inbetween very variable weather, my old grey cells have been whirring away quite happily in the background. I have been giving plenty of thoughts to my wargaming and a somewhat realistic appraisal of my needs versus my planned projects, with the eternal squaring the circle that is required, as my ideas frequently outstrip my ability to realise them. I'm sure I'm not along in this!

Recently I have been giving some thought on how to get some Cold War games in, with relatively minimal effort and outlay. My initial idea was to go down the 'classic' 1980's route and in 6mm, which I've done before many years ago, but whilst I really enjoyed this, I fancied something different. To this end some recent Blog posts, listed below, gave me plenty of ideas on how I might approach this sort of mini-project:




Whilst these are all set circa 1948, I fancied something a little later, to give me a bit more leeway on background fluff and post-WWII kit too, but still keeping that 1948 vibe as shown on the Blogs. So mid-1950's sort of ticks all the boxes for me at present.

Fluff wise there is plenty to choose from, with Stalin recently dead and Kruschev going about the de-Stalinization of the Soviet Union; Korea is happening or recently finished and tensions could spill over into Europe; the Hungarian Revolution is in full swing; tensions in other Countries under Soviet control; West Germany has just been 'formed'. Well I think you get the picture, that there is plenty of stuff to hang a story and campaign on.

In a sense with potential settings sorted, my mind turned to what sort of kit I wanted to field with my WWII forces, to make it feel more like a Cold War game. In no particular order:

Jet Fighters 
Whilst propellor driven aircraft will probably make an appearance, I really wanted to get some MIG's in for, to me, that classic Soviet post-War fighter look. On the NATO side the Hawker Hunter appeals to me, but I'm sure some others might pique my interest...

Tanks
I've always liked the T-54/55 and if I could, I would field a T-62, but this is way outside of my timeframe. Arrayed against them would be the Centurion Mk5, a tank that I had the Airfix kit of as a kid. Both sides would have plenty of WWII kit too, which adds a nice bit a variety to the look of the whole.

Helicopters
Whilst I would love to have an Attack Helicopter option, realistically this is not an option, but never-say-never! Most likely this would feature in a Scouting or FAO role and I'm sure I will take some liberties and bring in some 1960's 'whirlybirds' back to the 1950's just because I like the look of them.

AK-47's & SLR's
These infantry weapons certainly mark the transition to more modern equipment, but for ease of the potential project, I will stick with my existing WWII infantry. After all in 10mm you will barely notice the difference...

ATGW's & Recoilless Rifles
Whilst the Recoilless Rifles are available, it would be nice to have some ATGW's, but as per the Helicopter option, realistically they are not available. But maybe some experimental projects have been rushed through for battlefield trials...?

So there we have it. Plenty for me to be thinking about whislt I'm painting or sorting out the flooring. At least I know my existing 10mm forces will form the core of both forces, so I just need to add in some of the above to give it the feel of what I want. Time to start drawing up a shopping list.

* Unless you have watched the Netflix series, 'Bridgerton', this will mean nothing to you!

TTFN.


14 comments:

  1. Would your project have to be in central Europe? If not, then you could always consider having European/US forces providing assistance to an allied government in a former colony, whilst the Warpac forces and/or one of their surrogates oppose them by providing military support in solidarity with some sort of Peoples Democratic Republican force. Either use imagi-nations or maybe even real world countries such as Albania, the Horn of Africa or Yemen. I suppose much depends on the paint scheme of your current 10mm stuff - would you want any new stuff to match the same camo paint scheme? You could always just go with the more modern kit being some sort of rapid deployment force sent to assist an ally.
    Good luck with your efforts.
    I don’t watch Netflix, so have no idea what the Ton is… 🤔
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have pondered proxy conflicts Geoff, but currently this would require too much time and investment, essentially being a whole new project as opposed to an expansion of an existing one. I have considered Albania, Yugoslavia and the Balkans as a whole, as it would fit OK, so not completely discounted, but still favouring Central Europe at present.

      The 'Ton' is the name for 'fashionable society' of the sort that would come up to London for the 'Season'. It was a new word on us too when we started watching the series.

      Delete
  2. Interesting thoughts, which do strike a chord. I have occasionally wondered if I should do Cold War and if so, which time period. I think it is maybe the late 1960s/early 1970s which appeals most to me. The same equipment as Vietnam, but in a different context.
    I haven't seen Bridgerton, but I do know about the 'Ton' - it features quite heavily in The Duchess of Devonshire :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought of having a go at Vietnam on and off over the years, but it has just never grabbed me. Maybe it's a mix of the terrain and assymetrical warfare that puts me off? The early 1970's offers lots of options too, but I always want decent Chieftain tanks, not the rubbish early ones with dodgy engines!

      Delete
  3. I was thinking along lines similar to those suggested by Geoff. The thing is, a proxy war in Africa or Asia c.1970 might not look so very different from Europe 1948, and has (in my view) the virtue of greater plausibility. Another approach is an Imagi-Nations war, but based very closely upon a possible situation that existed in the real world. One example is the Angolan Civil War. Though we're talking 1970s, the tanks that accompanied the Cuban contingent were (from the pics I recall from the time) mainly T34/85s.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The proxy wars are certainly more plausible Ion and tick the boxes in terms of the kit etc, but as mentioned above, it would mean pretty much starting from scratch. However it's not completely discounted and could easily fit in with most of what I have, apart from the camo schemes on the tanks.

      Delete
  4. Interesting stuff Steve, I have a 1980’s 6mm project for which I picked up the figures secondhand ages ago. But it has never really got to the front of the queue, slightly disappointing as it is an interesting period. I think the main challenge is combining the aircraft tactics, even in WW2 most of us try and keep it separate although this is really very unrealistic ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 1980's period is certainly interesting and like many of our games, it really benefits from being played as a campaign. I was lucky enough years ago to take part in one run by a club member, who really the period and knew loads about the tactics for both sides etc, which really made a big difference. Thermobaric weapons though are a bit too far though, as they can kill the game before it's even started!

      IIRC both sides would try to gain air superiority early on, before the ground attacks could really kick in, unless you get lucky with a surprise strike, a la Red Storm Rising. I have Hackett's book on a 'what if?' late 1970's (?) attack by the Soviet Union, so maybe I should read this next to get au fait with possible scenarios...

      Delete
    2. In Hackett’s book WW3 started in August 1985. I suspect that the scenarios will likely still be broadly valid, with the only real difference being in the actual military kit available.
      😉

      Delete
    3. Thanks for clarifying Geoff:)! I think you're right that there might be a few materiel tweaks, but essentially it seems it would be the same sort of conflict. Out of interest, I watched a Tank Museum video recently, where Chieftains in the Iran-Iraq war advanced over open ground and the hull down Soviet tanks (T-55's/T-62's) knocked them out with ease, with some shots recorded as going in one end and out the other! Needless to say there was a lot of discussion about needing to up armour the tanks.

      Delete
  5. My ideas are constantly outpacing my abilities. I know the feeling. I have to constantly remind myself that everything will take a long time and lots of effort. Having fun it usually a lot of work. life is irony.
    I know nothing of cold war stuff, so I'll just wish you good luck. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know I'm not alone in the ideas versus time 'battle' Stew! Luckily for us in Europe we've never had a proper Cold War battle, just playing it out in Africa, Asia and a few other places instead. Still pondering which route to choose, but knowing me, the butterfly will flap its wings and I'll be off onto something new in no time!

      Delete
  6. Interesting things you think about while gardening Steve! I would personally go later - 70's/80's, with the classic British DPM uniform, SLR, GPMG and '44 helmet! But if your aim is to utilise your existing WWII infantry, then the 50's is probably better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardening or being on a bike ride does allow my mind to wander in weird and wonderful ways Keith! I'm still pondering which way to go and one option would be to use the same tanks for both periods, adding in some later kit for the 1980's, mainly Chieftains of course. Still not sure how big I want to make the forces too.

      Delete