Wednesday 10 May 2023

Single Digit Disruption

A few days ago, whilst taking part in the Red Bull Solo Extreme Garden Pruning Competition, a momentary lapse in concentration caused by Lewis Hamilton closing in on my lead, led to my early retirement from said event due to my cutting the tip of my finger off. Now having been a First Aider at work, I didn't panic, despite quite a bit of blood and having to find the bit of skin the had been cleanly removed by my secateurs (top tip: sharp tools make clean cuts that heal better), I made my way home (three doors away) from the event. Despite thorough cleaning and two goes at primary healing, by the third go (which 'stuck') it was obvious I needed to get this properly dressed so it was off to the local urgent treatment centre. A three hour wait later and I was seen, with the nurse rather impressed with my efforts (10/10), which was good. A wash with iodine and a good dressing and I was off home.

Luckily it didn't really hurt despite cutting through the nerve tips, nor did it become infected, but it was a tad sore and all in all very inconvenient, especially as the weather had warmed up enough to enjoy cycling again, as well as a desire to get back to the mid-18thC India project. These along with gardening are on hold whilst my finger heals (dressing comes off tomorrow) which is frustrating as I'm the sort of chap who likes to be doing things! So what to do?

The offending digit all dressed, but being left handed, the next worse finger to injure after the index one.


Luckily for me I had been playing some simple games of the excellent Shadow of the Eagles rules, to get to grips with them again, whilst I pondered what period or campaign to base a possible future force around.

A nice and simple game, with some real to and fro action as both sides contested a river crossing. 

I had been 'chatting' via e-mail with Norm Smith as to whether to go the Peninsular War route, the Revolutionary Wars one (my plan from several years ago) or something else. Norm wisely recommend the 1809 Danube Campaign and the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Having already read John H Gill's first book in his 'Thunder on the Danube' trilogy, which I greatly enjoyed, I quickly ordered the other two which should arrive soon.

So with my 'period' broadly set, I'm still unsure as to go down the MDF route and my 'Old School' look or the Pendraken 10mm route, as they have a rather nice range for this campaign. Still early days yet and plenty of stuff in the queue that needs attention, such as the aforementioned India force. Then of course there is the small matter of making sure my finger is fully healed before I can wield scalpel and paint brush! In the meantime I plan to run some more small games, set around French vs Austrians, to get a feel of things. One game is sketched out and I hope to kick things off in the next few days, as long as I don't injure myself again...

TTFN.

23 comments:

  1. Yikes! Gardening can be a hazardous endeavor. Hopefully, you will see a speedy recovery. I severely sprained my wrist (possibly even broken) pruning this spring. 1809 seems a default goal for many. There are a number of board games to be used in campaigning. I would have enjoyed seeing FRW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon. It all feels fine but a bit tender on the tip, which is understandable given that I cut through to the nerve endings. I shall know more tomorrow. Sadly easily done and I've nicked myself before, but never a cut like this, so need to pay more attention when I'm cutting stuff. BTW hope your wrist is fine now?

      1809, I can see the attractions. The French are still good but not the superb Grande Armee. The Austrians well, are still the Austrians! Lots of other Armies to choose from as well as peripheral actions too, such as Walcheren. The FRW may see the light of day too, but maybe on a smaller scale than first envisaged.

      Delete
  2. Ouch! I’d better leave the garden to the Margravina. Not very gallant of me but my people’s prosperity depends on me (oh the heavy burdens of state) so must avoid unnecessary risks.
    Interested to hear more about the mid-18th C India project!
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch indeed Chris! Actually I don't think I uttered and Anglo-Saxon expletives when I did it, which is rare. Luckily SWMBO brings in the Shekels for us, so not a big issue me being hors de combat as it were. In my old job it would have been a rather big problem to say the least.

      The India project is for the Cotswold Wargames Day, with the HEIC and Allies pitted against the French and theirs, with a bit of leeway as is our wont.

      Delete
  3. Clever Steve. Hope that's not a painting hand.
    As a fan of MDF I would say use them. And I would. However the metal means no conversion work for lancers etc. 1809, good choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly Richard it is my painting and modelling hand, so not the smartest move by me. Being ambidextrous, I use my right hand for 'big stuff', hence cutting my favoured hand, which does the 'small stuff'.

      I do like the MDF for sure and one big advantage, aside from price, is that they are a LOT easier and quicker to paint up. Lancers a fairly easy conversion for me, given my old job, but maybe after this debacle I should think again! 1809 is really growing on me and as with all things, the research is proving lotas of fun:).

      Delete
  4. You can rest assured Steve - we’ve all done plenty of daft things (OK, for many I probably mean “stupid” but let’s stick with the less harsh “daft”) in life.
    I recall being in the bathroom once, thinking that the rubbish in one hand was for the bin and the tissue in the other hand was to be flushed down the loo. I let go and, even as the rubbish was still in mid air, thought “oops - I didn’t mean to do THAT”. Yep - wrong decision. I had to stick my hand into the toilet bowl and rescue the rubbish I’d intended to put in the bin. And then, ten minutes later, realising “I could have used a plastic bag as a waterproof glove”. Aaargh… too late 😤🤬
    I’m sure whatever period/campaign you finally choose will be the right one for you. Just because someone else might have made a different decision doesn’t mean anyone is wrong. We all have different preferences (like our choices of wives/partners 😂🤣) and, as long as it is what YOU want, then it’s the right choice.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this falls into the stupid category as I wasn't paying the attention that I should have! Lesson (hopefully) learnt. I've seen many modelmakers drop scalpels into their legs, cut their hands on machines etc, so mine was a mere scratch, as the Monty Python knight would be wont to say;).

      Not being part of a club for many years, there is not pressure on what to play in terms of period, rules, armies etc, which is rather nice. As you say, as long as I'm happy, that's all that matters.

      Delete
  5. Oooh, nasty. Hope it heals quickly. Garden tools are often vicious objects. Having said that, I nearly severed the tip of my left forefinger when chopping vegetables for dinner; sadly I've not been allowed to drop dinner preparation as a consequence, though. It's good that you have useful first aid skills and that the experience has given you some leisure to ponder your next wargame moves too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. The big reveal tomorrow will show if the bit of skin I re-attached will stay, but most luckily will drop off at some point as the nurse said, but at least it's providing pretection in the meantime. The good thing with our hobby is that even though incapacitated, I can still do plenty of planning, research etc, which is of course a good thing:).

      Delete
  6. Ouch, that looks sore! Take it easy for a bit and spend time on research rather than painting or modelling. Its never time wasted, though it can lead to butterfly moments and un anticipated expense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sore for the first 24 hours or so Mark, but nothing too bad. At least it didn't throb which can be a pain. I've had other cuts that have hurt more strangely enough. Ah butterfly moments which invariably lead to unplanned purchases, which has already happened with the books! Still I'm happy and am enjoying this stage, which is the main thing:).

      Delete
  7. Further proof that activists done outside are inherently DANGEROUS and should be avoided. Really just best to stay inside at all times. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my wife might concur with your thoughts Stew, but the predictive text making 'activities' in to 'activists' made me chuckle;). Mind you those that 'stay in bed' on Friday 13th to avoid the risks of going outside, still manage to have accidents and end up in hospital!

      Delete
  8. Ahhh..I could feel that as I read it Steve! Even now, I am rubbing the tips of my fingers against the palms of my hands - hope you reported the accident??!
    I would have gone with the Revolutionary period myself - probably because I have had a bit of a hankering to do that for some time - Kleber equipment and all that - mind you, I wouldn't fancy painting lots of pairs of striped trousers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I reported myself to my wife, who was less than sympathetic to start with. Once she saw the cut and the dressing, a modicum of sympathy did creep in, just:).

      The FRW is still an option, but striped trousers in 10mm? No thanks!

      Delete
  9. Steve, sorry I had not seen this when you came for a game last week. I saw the bandage but you never said and never complained so I did not realise how serious it had been. But what a brave soldier you are! If any of your readers are still concerned fear not. The Real Steve Johnson turned up in good humour, wise cracked and jabbered all day as usual. I had to discipline him for "time wasting" , but we got a game finished to a drawn result and our hero got another taste of 1809 Austrians on my table in 15mm. No doubt we will both blog it in due course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a stupid soldier rather than a brave one Chris! It was more of an inconvenience during them game, as I couldn't use it to pick up the movement trays, rather than any pain per se. Twas a great game, despite the shocking attmepts at Austrian time wasting;). A Blog post will follow in due course, but am enjoying the wonderful Spring weather that has finally arrived. The garden needs LOTS of attention at the moment.

      Delete
    2. Ahhh, I see you have an excuse for not winning then! :-)

      Delete
  10. Ouch I cut the end of a finger off at college with a scalpel, it's apparently the only bit that grows back, takes a while! 1809 sounds like a good choice but I am biased, hope you recover rapidly!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain! Luckily it is recovering/regrowing well, the latter certainly surprising me. I expected a bit of a dip there once it had healed. Looking at it it seems to be resuming its shape from what I can see.

      1809 is certainly ticking the boxes from the big battles, through to the peripheral actions in Germany and elsewhere. I'm dipping back into Gill at present but not quite finding the time to get some decent reading time in, but that will change for sure.

      Delete
  11. Nasty Steve.... this real life stuff can be dangerous.... I hope it heals quickly for you.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully it's healign really well and no longer hurts if I knock it, so I think the nerve endings have recovered. Not long before I can resume game related stuff...

      Delete