Wednesday 31 May 2023

Rain Stops Play

The Weather
Well things have been a bit quiet here on the gaming front for several reasons, but mainly down to the simply wonderful weather we have been having these past few weeks. After a distinctly cold and wet Spring, suddenly we have been thrust into early Summer like weather, as can be seen in the photo below.


Normally we have fairly mild Winters and Spring here in Bristol, but not this year, so the normal gardening calendar has been somewhat disrupted. So what I would achieved by now on the gardening front is suddenly having to be compressed, which is taking pretty much all of my time and effort these past few weeks. Not that I'm complaining as it's wonderful weather, but it does stop me doing much else. Still much better than wind and rain!

Napoleonics
As mentioned previously, I've pretty much plumped for the 1809 period, or thereabouts, for my games. The FRW period is still lurking in the background, but currently my focus is on the Danube Campaign. To this end I bought the 2nd and 3rd volumes of Gill's wonderful history of the campaign.


I'm currently re-reading the 1st volume and I'm picking up much more info this time round. This reminds me of what we were taught at college when reading chapters, that you should do it in 3 goes; firstly skim it get a basic overview, then a quick read through and finally a proper read through. Sadly time does not permit this approach, but it really does pay dividends as currently I know what's coming.

MDF vs Metal
I'm still torn between MDF and metal for the 1809 project. Whilst 10mm metal has lots of attractions, I'm leaning towards the MDF route, possibly augmented by some 6mm figures for say skirmishers to add a bit more dynamism to those bases. Still early days of course as as you will see, I have another project that needs my attention.

Partizan & Blog Inspiration
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but having seen all the wonderful Blog reports on this years Partizan show, I really wish I had attended. Well at least those kind enough to have put up plenty of eye candy photos have allowed me to vicariously enjoy it.

Given my dearth of gaming or painting of late, Blogs have once again provided me with plenty of ideas, inspiration and simple enjoyment. Whilst maybe losing out to Facebook etc, it is a much better medium IMHO to share our wonderful hobby.

Tony Adams RIP
I was saddened and shocked to read about the sudden passing of Tony Adams, who was a frequent commentator on this Blog. His woodscrew armies were certainly niche but I found them absolutely wonderful and his obvious enthusiasm for them. His interests were varied and his book reviews often led to a purchase or two, which I will always be thankful for. The following tribute to him can say much more about Tony than I ever can:


His passing away has made me ponder my lead mountain, my collections, books etc and what I really want from the hobby. Certainly his love of my MDF armies has helped me focus my mind on this front and in a sense will be a tribute to him in one way or another. 

The Finger
I'm glad to report that my finger has healed really well, but probably still has a week to go before I feel comfortable using it for painting and modelling. Despite my one handed gardening and love of being outside, I'm certainly hankering after getting the toys out and based, painted etc, weather dependent of course!

What's Next?
Having had Napoleonics and WWII stuff sat on the dining table for nearly a month now, I finally tidied it all away to allow me to try and re-focus me time and energy into the 18thC India project for the Cotswold Wargames Day in the Autumn. I have lots of basing to do first and foremost, so that I can make sure the force is more or less complete, before moving onto the priming and painting. I find that if I don't do this, it's very hard to keep on track, which is a challenge at the best of times.

Having played H&M games for months now, it is time for a complete change. As always I have loads of ideas and plans, but want and need something that is pretty much ready to go on in terms of painted miniatures etc. In the end it was an easy choice for me to plump for some more AVBCW action, which hasn't had a run out for quite some time now. Ideally I'd like to play this as some sort of campaign, as it's much more fun and generates a nice stroy line, or so I feel. Again I'm not short of ideas but now need to look through my scribbled notes to see what thoughts I'd had previously.

TTFN.

24 comments:

  1. You are a busy man with lots on your plate (or at least in mind).

    Happy to see weather has turned for you, Steve. Your garden looks lush. Gill's trilogy is a terrific resource and reference. Don't leave out his work on the German armies in With Eagles to Glory. Equally useful.

    In your mdf v metal debate, I vote for metal but you may enjoy Epic plastics too.

    While Tony was an infrequent contributor to my blog, his seemingly sudden passing is definitely a shock. Possibly a reminder and wake up call for many of us.

    Hope you can return to Partizan one day. Bloggers certainly treated us with many views of the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden has come on a lot since this photo was taken, with some plants simply romping away at present. I'm running just to try and keep up at present!

      The 'Eagles' book is on my list for sure Jon. The Epic plastics at 13.5mm might as well be 15mm in my book, plus they are too wide for my basing, which is on 1" squares. Still lots of people enjoy them so thay certainly have picked a good spot in the market.

      Like all shows I think Partizan benefits from going with friends. Of course I could have arranged to meet fellow Bloggers there, but a complete lack of planning on my part put pay to that! At least the plan is to go to Colours and of course the Cotswold Wargames Day, so all is not lost:).

      Delete
  2. Know what you mean about the garden Steve, mines running me ragged at the mo. I’m voting for mdf, for what it’s worth. I think your little wooden chaps are charming. So Tony was the woodscrew guy eh. Visited his blog once or twice and while I’m sure he was a lovely guy, I couldn’t get my head around the concept. Sad loss to the hobby though for sure. I’m going to be buried with my collection in order to give the future time team something to puzzle over when they dig me up. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is taking up a lot of my time, but I do enjoy it. However it does reach a point where I've had enough, if I'm honest. My mind then certainly turns back to gaming. I know the woodscrew concept was mad in this day and age with all the choices we have, but for some reason it just appealed to me, maybe boosted by Tony's obvious enthusiasm for them. Buried with your minis? I'm sure in millenia to come you will be deified alongside Coke ring pulls;).

      Delete
    2. JBM, my wife nixed the idea of me being buried with my toys. She is against converting everything to gold and taking that with me as well.

      Delete
  3. As Jon says, lots going on Steve. I would definitely go with the metal 10mm for aesthetic reasons but if you prefer mdf for reasons if practicality or economy, fair enough. I would also probably go for FRW, but that's only because I have a bit of an itch to craft have there myself.
    Sorry to read about Tony. I visited his blog a couple of times (based mainly on comments by you) and he seemed to have lots of interesting posts.
    Good news about the finger .... Be extra careful around sharp objects in future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always so many ideas Keith, so little time! I've really grown to love the MDF figures and their simple aesthetic, which certainly aids and speeds up painting. At least I still have the metal figures I initially planned for the FRW as a back up.

      A sad loss of Tony for sure and his family have been very appreciative of the comments to them from fellow Bloggers, which has given them some solice.

      I'm certainly being very careful with my digits, wearing a glove still just to remind me to keep them well away from blades etc.

      Delete
  4. My condolences on the loss.

    I of course pay someone to do all that yard work so that I don't have to go outside. That way I can paint more miniatures, I mean spend more time with family. It's kinda a lose-lose situation. 😀

    Convention repots are pretty good at stirring out motivation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew. Excellent humour as always and attending shows does really get that creative spark going. Finding time to then act upon it is always the issue!

      Delete
  5. Hi Steve, not sure if it is an age thing, but time at the moment is on speed and flying by, your Cotswold day will be upon you before you know it, so switching attention to preparing those armies now is a good idea.

    This is indeed the moment to be planning for the next 9 months or so as the present good weather allows for rattle can primers and varnish sprays to be used without risk of associated weather problems, also for me, it means that 28mm plastics can be glued up outdoors because of my aversion to the glue.

    There are very definite differences to draw between 10mm and Epic, not least the obvious one of size, but the 10’s do allow a wider flexibility with basing - though I do admit to being something of a plastics fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suddenly we are in June and in a few weeks it will be the longest day, yet it seems like only yesterday we were still in March. Being 'retired' my days blurr together and SWMBO keeps me knowing whether it's the weekend or not!

      Fair point on the priming etc and at least I can have to doors open to help move those superglue fumes. Plastic glue is equally bad so certainly time to make the most of the weather.

      I think the basing flexibility is paramount for me and certainly works best for my small games, especially when on a 2' x 2' table. However plastics do lend themselves to conversions, which is always a pull for me, but I would need a magnifying lamp again!

      Delete
  6. The 18th century Indian project sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting and has been fun researching it Peter. More ideas and info to follow for sure.

      Delete
  7. Good to hear you are on the mend and your mind, if not fingers, as busy as usual. Will your 18th Century India game at CWD be open to "visitors" (like me) or just you and a friend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. Normally it's just Dave and I battling it out, but as we develop the scenario, I'll see if we can open it out to others. Naturally I'll keep you posted!

      Delete
  8. I always know when I’ve finished the gardening - aches and pains. Cutting grass and weeding takes its toll on my back, knees and arms. For some reason, sitting behind a desk, pushing a mouse about doesn’t fully equip you for manual labour. Who’d have thought it?
    In retrospect, I enjoy the garden when the grass is cut, there aren’t too many weeds to tackle and the plants/flowers are in bloom. I enjoy is less when, say, the grass desperately needs a cut or the weeds are getting out of hand (usually when I’ve been putting things off because of bad weather).
    MDF or metal? Well, the choice is yours. Both have their place in the hobby and I can see there are uses for both.
    I didn’t know Tony Adams, but was aware of his woodscrew armies. RIP.
    FWIW we’re all getting older one day at a time. As the hobby is rather “grey” it does make you think - what will become of my “stuff” (figures, terrain, books, magazines, comics etc) when I’m no longer here? 😞
    I’m glad your finger is getting better Steve. Perhaps this is painful reminder for next time - be careful 😉
    Your AVBCW set-up is lovely. I look forward to reading news of your battles.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy the creative side of gardening and getting it ready, but there does come a point where I've had enough for the year and hanker after my games again. Currently aching as lots of planting and weeding at present and certainly feeling my age!

      I do sometimes wonder what will happen to my stuff once I've popped my clogs. Will anyone still be playing with miniatures in say 25 years time, given the advances in technology in recent years and God only knows what the future might bring? Will anyone read physical books? Best not to worry about all that and just enjoy it all whilst we can, which reminds me to read more and take a break from the garden!

      I do like my AVBCW stuff and it's pretty much the only 'collection' that has plenty of 'finished' forces to play with. As always still adding bits'n'pieces when I get those 'Oh shiny!' moments...

      Delete
  9. Even if not much gaming Steve lots of stuff to keep you thinking and developing ideas, looking forward to seeing them develop 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. The beauty of our hobby is that you can still be engaging with it, by pondering ideas, scenarios etc, whilst doing other things, which is of course great!

      Delete
  10. I've not been active for weeks wargaming wise. And I haven't even got gardening to excuse me, so fair play to you Steve. Especially with the finger injury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, we all go through troughs of inactivity and I'm certainly one of those, but reading books, following Blogs etc keeps me 'in the game' as it were.

      Delete
  11. Lots to do and think about. I think you know my thoughts... MDF. Cheap and quick. Plus, they bring heaps of charm. Metal for skirmishers and command stands sounds like a good mix. Your decision and what makes you happy at the end of the day. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd be pro-MDF Richard and you're right, they do have heaps of charm:). I'd be happy with either choice but I am leaning towards MDF at present...

      Delete