Monday 27 February 2023

This Month I Have Been Mostly ...

Well it's been a while since I posted anything, but fear not dear reader (or should that be fellow Blogger? Answers on a postcard...) I have not been idle, far from it. So I thought I'd do a bit of an overview  to keep you up to date on things chez moi.

Life, Love & The Pursuit Of Happiness
Just a fancy title really for things that have been going on outside of the gaming sphere. We have been blessed with some lovely almost Spring like weather here in Bristol, which has meant plenty of time outside, either pottering about on the garden, getting out on the bike (so nice) or just sitting and enjoying the warmth of the sun. Compared to the weather in other parts of the World, we have been lucky so far this year.

I have been very busy with various meetings with the local County Council on their SEND provision for the next 5 years, which has taken up quite a bit of my time but hopefully will have been worth it. I take the view that if I don't participate, then things will not improve and I can't 'complain'. Rather like not voting in the General Election and then moaning about the Government!

France 1940 Campaign
I think I have a good broad outline of how I want this to play out now, which is of course good. Blaxland's book, 'Destination Dunkirk' has been a superb resource and I highly recommend to anyone interested in this campaign. Now it's a case of getting enough miniatures painted up to kick things off, more of which below.

Leros Style Campaign
Whilst reading the Fallschirmjager book (see below) it occured to me that I have enough units to do a mini-campaign based upon this historical action. I had read about this pre-lockdown and thought no more of it, but I thought that this would be easier to do than my hoped for Crete Campaign and almost provide a dry run for something larger and more involved. I've a few ideas in my head and no more than that, as I have tried not to get sidetracked from my painting, which is easier said than done! Watch this space though for some updates soonish...

My Painting Area
A bit of a thing at present on many Blogs, so I remembered to grab a photo or two of my set up.

My bijou painting desk, aka the kitchen table. You can see why I have to wait for the kitchen to be clear before I can do anything. Some day I will have a dedicated space of my won...

The tools of the trade, with a very old jam jar for the water, a rather battered but loved saucer for the paint and my core brushes that I use for over 90% of my painting.

The spare brushes that are really too big for 10mm, various paint reference sheets, all stored in the lid of an old GW paint set that is still going strong some 20 years on. 



Painting
The impending France 1940 Campaign has kick started my painting mojo after quite a fallow period. I don't know about you but I find it hard to get going if I've been away from painting for some time. Taking the first step is the hardest, but once this is done, I tend to get into a groove. The classic paint little and often is certainly working for me.

Another hurdle is that I always worry that the units will not look good enough, which is maybe a hang over from my days in the design industry, where everything had to be perfect. Reminding myself that as long as they look good at amrs length and on the table, then that's fine by me. I still try and paint as well as I can, but I'm tending to worry less about details, as A: I can't see them and B: I can't paint them due to my shaky arm!

Maybe the wargames magazines should do what GW's White Dwarf did many years ago and have a regular column from a wargamer who painted, rather than a painter who wargamed. I fear, and I know this from experience, that all those wonderfully painted figures one sees in the magazines can be so off putting to the average wargamer or someone starting out in the hobby.

So far I have finished a full German Infantry Battalion for the French Campaign and only need a few Recce units before I can start. For once I have tried to focus on getting enough units ready for the first game, working on a Kompanie at a time, so that I can see progress and also have a self-contained formation for a game. I have a list of other units that need painting for the forthcoming scenarios, which will help keep me very much on track.

Terrain
At least I have not wandered off track and into scratch building terrain, given my love for doing so. However I do know I need and want to make a few items for the French Campaign, but am being a good boy and resisting until those Recce units are finished. Nothing too fancy, but some barricades, advertising hoardings and road signs to help decorate the table.

Games
I have another OHW scenario all planned out, but currently I'm staying focussed on my painting, which is rather unusual for me. Most likely I will use Honours of War for it as I feel it's the best fit. I would like to play it in March, given that I should have plenty of German units painted for the French Campaign by then.

Reading
After finishing off Blaxland's excellent Dunkirk book, I've read of flicked through the following:

I book I had not come across before but Tony of Woodscrew Miniature Army fame recommended it and I'm glad he did so. An excellent overview of the Fallschirmjager and with a good OOB at the end. From this I got the idea of a Leros stype campaign.

A charity shop find and just one of those books that is a delight to read and full of little nuggets of info. Highly recommended.

I've had this a while and after a flick through I've not had time to try out the small scenario in there that is perfect for a small table and with minimal troops. Painting taking priority at present plus of course my planned campaigns.

A pre-order from last year that arrived this month. I'd tried the original rules a good few years ago and they just didn't grab me. This may have had something to do with the Armies used and my poor die rolling! However since then I've played plenty of BPII and enjoyed the games and so I thought I'd give these another chance. I'm glad I did so as the book is much better in its layout with a handy rules summary at the back. The rules have been expanded to cover the War of the Roses as well as some simple siege games. The Army Lists have been reduced and the expectation is you will be the appropriate supplement. Not a problem for me and the WotR list will probably suffice for my initial games and after that we will see. I have plenty of other reference material should I need it as well.

The Flap Of Butterfly Wings
I'm not sure where it came from (possible an Amazon film) but this past week I have wondered about getting in some BPII games but set in India with the East India Company. I have absolutely no idea why this happened, but in the end I ended up ordering William Dalrymple's 'The Anarchy: The Relentless Rise of the East India Company' for some background knowledge to a period I know very little about. I've enjoyed his books on indai before and so am looking forward to reading this. Whether it turns into a wargames project remains to be seen...

Until next time stay safe and keep healthy.

TTFN.

24 comments:

  1. You may have been silent but you have not been idle. Good overview of what has been going on with you. Quite envious to see you are back out on the bike. We received four more inches of snow yesterday with more expected in the week ahead. Sigh.

    Your Leros campaign looks very interesting and a suitable substitute for Crete. If you are looking for gaming-related background material, MMP Games (ie from the old The Gamers), have a boardgame on this campaign entitled Leros. Copies are available regularly on ebay or you could give it a look using a VASSAL module.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to fill my days with something or other and rarely do I think I've done nothing at all, which is of course good. The weather your side of the pond has been bizarre, with snow in LA, Florida at 95F and Washington DC 85F!!! Then NZ has had all that terrible rain cum Biblical deluges and it's meant to be Summer. Global Warming...?

      The for the board games tip. Currently, as is my wont, I'll be using it as the basis for a fictional campaign, but using the core elements from the actual one plus adding in some Italian units whose loyalty to either side is as yet unknown. Plenty of ideas which need firming up.

      Delete
    2. Chilly up here Jon but another outdoor cycle this morning 👍

      Delete
    3. You are not making it any easier, Matt!

      Delete
    4. Well if it helps Jon it rained here this morning which put pay to my planned quick bike ride. Also if it's too cold my achilles tendons are playing up so not too comfortable when pedalling:(.

      Delete
    5. Helps a little bit Steve but tonight it is snowing here...

      Delete
  2. Great to get the update Steve and lots going on. That is the way of our Hobby very absorbing. I have redcoats somewhere but never got round to reading it. But I have ‘read/listened’ (I do more audio books these days) to the Dalrymple book which is excellent. I did mention it a few posts ago and the possibility of gaming something around 1760-80 perhaps that sparked your butterfly 😀 I have painted in some very small spaces in the past but can highly recommend a dedicated space if you can ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt and the beauty of our hobby is that you can enjoy it in a multitude of ways, no matter the weather and depending upon how the mood takes you. Maybe your post sowed the seed then Matt but I simply wasn't aware of it! Until our kids move out (in their early 20's) I can't see me getting a dedicated space:(.

      Delete
  3. Hi Steve...I am glad your painting mojo has returned....I hope mine does soon. So pleased you liked the book I recommended. "Redcoat" I already have and another super book too. Glad to see you have also managed to get outside...my garden could sure use some time...all I need is the motivation, maybe soon....Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony and I always enjoy your book recommendations:). Gardening is one of my loves and a great antidote to years of working in dim and dusty workshops with stupid deadlines to meet! However I do not always feel in the mood to do it, so do some gaming, cycling etc. It's good to have a mix of hobbies:).

      Delete
  4. Glad to see you are soldiering on mate. Nice to see someone else is intimidated as I am by wargaming mag miniatures. Lol. One of the reasons i steer away from 28mm. It takes me a day to paint 4 x 10mm bods so god knows how long it’d take me to do anything bigger. Not on a postcard admittedly, but yes I get the distinct feeling that the only other people leaving comments these days are fellow bloggers. P.s. I know you don’t need the distraction but Pendraken do some nice early Indian stuff. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JBM! I agree about moving away from 28mm as I used to struggle to paint enough for a skirmish game. My painting isn't up to your standard, hence I can knock units out fairly quickly, but I find after about an hour or so I need a physical and mental break. Browsing the Pendraken website is a dangerous past time as I know to my cost!

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you’ve been flitting from one task to another Steve. At least, once you get jobs “completed”, you can feel a sense of achievement.
    My sister in law was a headmistress of a SEND school (or whatever the correct term is these days) and I understand there are lots and lots of challenges.
    I’m presently playing some of Mike Lambo’s game-books - mostly the WW2 ones - but with MDF hexes, 10mm Pendraken infantry and 6mm tanks/vehicles, trees and buildings rather than paper counters. Hopefully I’ll pick up more goodies from Pendraken at Hammerhead this coming weekend. 😉
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For once I've been sensible and painted up one Kompanie at a time, which does give a sense of achievement. Before I'd do say all the infantry, then the MG's and Mortars, then Commands etc. This way I feel I've got something I can play with pretty quickly.

      The whole SEND and Social Care settings are in a right state to put it mildly:(. I certainly wouldn't want to do their jobs given the lack of resources they are given. Shocking really.

      Have fun at Hammerhead and hope you find some nice and shiny new toys to take home. I'm getting the itch to attend a show but none are more than around 3 hours or more away at present:(.

      Delete
  6. A bit of wargaming variety with some painting, reading, and rules.

    ReplyDelete
  7. from the beginning there, it sounds suspiciously like you've been spending time outside. While it is fine to do other stuff other than wargaming, the outside we all know is untrustworthy and dangerous and best avoided.

    Your painting desk looks rather compact; you must only be able to paint one miniature at time. 😀😜

    and dude, you should never stress about painting. My painted stuff is at BEST average and all anyone ever says is how nice it looks. especially when it's all on the table with terrain and it all comes together. No one cares if I painted the eyes on a 28mm figure (i don't).

    good luck on all your projects. I've read my copy of HC2 and it's about 90% the same as the first version. I like the rules well enough. I've never played BP so i can;t tell you how similar it is (though I imagine very).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily Stew we've killed off all our dangerous creatures in the UK, bar one venomous snake, so the great outdoors is safe (famous last words!).

      The painting area is compact and maybe one reason I went down the 10mm route;). I think I've overcome my 'worries' about the quality of my work and am now more concerned with getting toys onto the table and to an OK standard, which works for me.

      I sold of HC years ago so it is hard to compare the new edition to the original. However I can safely say HC2 is much better laid out which makes it easier for me to follow the rules as they seem logically laid out. BP and HC share the same core engine so 90% of what I've read has has a nice familiarity to it:).

      Delete
  8. Thought you'd been quiet Steve. But you've been very busy by the sounds ion it. Read the Holmes book several years ago. Very good if I remember correctly. And yes, as JBM says, those magazine pictures can be a bit intimidating, but I forget about them and then crack on with my 'good enough bodging'. Haven't done anything for months mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. I had nothing really of note to post, so thought I'd do a summary instead. I haven't painted for ages but currently the muse is upon me and I'm enjoying it, helped by having a Campaign I want to play which is keeping me on track:).

      Delete
  9. Lots going on Chez Steve, for sure! And all of it very interesting to boot. Looking forward to seeing some images of the completed Wehrmacht troops and of course seeing them in action in France 1940. The Fallschirmjaeger campaign sounds interesting too, as does HEIC - I have a medium sized collection of Redoubt figures from their Wellington in India range that were great fun to collect and paint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith! I hope to take some pics of the troops later on today as it's the last day of the annual Pendraken painting competition. No chance of winning as there are some VERY talented painters out there, but you've never know...

      The HEIC could be fun and Pendraken do an Indian Mutiny range, but I fancy something a bit earlier, so it would be a case of proxies that could be close enough to their historical counterparts. Once I've read the 'Anarchy' book maybe I'll have a clearer idea if it's my sort of thing or not.

      Delete
  10. Hi Steve, a good mix of things going on, nice to dip in and out of various aspects of the hobby.

    My painting area is totally temporary, It is mobile and I just bring it to the dining table for an hour. I get the thing about losing momentum if you have a break from painting. I think the secret is to always have something primed, so that breaks are less likely.

    I have just hit a storage crisis (again), so some re-evaluation is going on.

    The campaigns sound interesting, so hopefully that will all come together soon, but concentrating on just getting whole units done is probably the best way to get there.

    I will be interested to see how you go about your hoarding and road signs for 10mm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. Glad to see a fellow gamer with a temporary painting set up! I tend to have stuff in various stages, but need to have more primed for sure. Something to do when the weather warms up a bit.

      Storage is our perennial issue, especially in our UK houses which are much smaller on average compared to Europe and certainly the US. Rationalisation always seems to be lurking in the background...

      I'm hoping one of the Campaigns can kick off in March as I only need one more unit to be completed so that the first scenario can start. Watch this space...

      Delete