Thursday 18 August 2022

Project Creep

Some years ago I bought a shed load of 1848 Danish and Prussian troops for some Imagi-Nations gaming as well as using them for a variety of mid-19thC European scenarios using Bloody Big Battles rules. As with most of my projects, they then lay in their bags for several years, which is of course a sad state of affairs. Then just before Covid hit, Dave and I started basing them up (I gave him loads as I'd ordered far too many!) so we could get some games in with them. Naturally lockdown put pay to any chance of playing games, so the project hit the pause button. 

Things kicked off again last year with the plan to put on some small games at the Cotswold Wargames Day using the excellent Rebels & Patriots rules. So I started painting in earnest again only for Dave to unavoidably not be able to make it and once again the pause button was hit. Things were certainly not going my way with this project!

A year on and the plan is to once again try and field these forces at the CWD, but using BPII and a larger game on a 6' x 4' table. I thought I had painted three Brigades worth of troops but it turned out I had only finished two. Whoops! Time to get the brushes out and check the paints as it had been a good few months since they were last used. Luckily only one pot had completely dried up during the recent heatwaves.

Whilst looking at which Brigade to paint next, I looked at some Grenzer type Battalions I had included just because I liked the troops (from the Pendraken Afghan North West Frontier range) and my mind then thought of increasing them to a full Brigades worth of troops. This had not been my plan at all! So luckily I had based a load of units a few years ago for use in a sort of 'Great Game' type setting that came to nought and they had the right look and feel to fit in as slightly more regular troops.

With the infantry sorted, another cavalry unit was added (again previously based) but there was a gap on the artillery front. After a brief spell of painting this morning it was a case of into the attic to dig through the lead pile for the artillery I knew lurked there somewhere. Come evening I now had two artillery units of different calibre all based up and just waiting for grit and priming.

So in the space of a few days I've gone from painting some extra Brigades and Squadrons for the game, to having now added two units of infantry, one of cavalry and two artillery units, none of which were planned at all. Talk about project creep! Will it ever end? I think not...

Until next time stay safe and keep healthy.

30 comments:

  1. Good to see you tackling a long, lost project. Well, not exactly lost, I guess. Will it ever end? I reckon we all know the answer to that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to get back to a paused project and for one that I know will get lots of play. I'm sure I will keep adding bits to this for many years to come!

      Delete
  2. The world is full of good intentions Steve. Keep things in perspective and I’m sure they’ll turn out well in the end.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good ‘leg-up’ to getting the project firing on all cylinders again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As mentioned in my previous post, this time of year my mind certainly does move back towards gaming and painting, which is good. Let's hope I can keep some momentum.

      Delete
  4. Occasionally deadlines can be useful to progress painting projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deadlines really do work best for me otherwise I can be a tad lazy and unfocussed!

      Delete
  5. I can certainly relate to project creep. It is often surprising what will kick off a project that one had no intention of starting - or even mind to begin. It is not easy, either, to discipline oneself to resisting temptation.

    My Sengoku Wars thing, though really only a 'half-project' has come at the expense of my 30YW stuff, the wich I have no idea when will see the light of day. It's about 80% done, but has been so for nigh on 20 years...
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm terrible in being easily led to start a new project from the smallest of sparks. I've had stuff based for over 10 years that still hasn't been primed, despite them at the time being my new and shiny project. I'm sure we're not alone in this Ion.

      Delete
  6. Good stuff Steve....I sometimes wonder if I am in the wrong hobby...I am not saying I don't have a few bits n pieces of unpainted figures around, but the vast majority of what I have to paint now was purchased in the last four months....I do have some War of 1812 and a heap of FoW 15mm stuff, but I was doing my mate Julian a favour, taking those off his hands, it's not my fault they haven't been painted yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the Blogs I follow there are those that paint more than game and vice versa. As long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters. I think for me having been a pro modelmaker for most of my 33 years of work means that painting etc can seem like a busmen's holiday. Being outside all day in the garden, or on walks etc is still novel even nearly 3 years since retiring and as yet I'm not tired of it!

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed your post Steve. What a hobby we have that diverts us down and around so many rabbit holes, yet keeps us loving it. Long may we suffer project creep. It keeps it all fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. Revisiting projects with a fresh eye is nice, especially when it inspire you to add a unit, command stand etc here and there.

      Delete
  8. I’m not adverse to some creep Steve, in fact that is part of the joy as one plan expands. It sounds like an interesting period but not one I know anything about so looking forward to seeing your forces and battle 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my WWII armies have expanded as I've added AFV's that I don't really need per se, but are lovely to have to round out the options as a gamer. I came to mid 19thC games via my chums and I've found it to be a fascinating period, much more so than the basic stuff we learnt about Bismarck et al at school.

      Delete
  9. Totally agree with Richard's comments...we have a great hobby. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly do Tony. Rather like gardening which is never static, so too with our wonderful hobby. So many scenarios, armies, periods, so little time!

      Delete
  10. You say project creep and I say natural expansion. This is the way.
    Good luck getting it all ready in time. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew. Natural expansion; I like that!

      Delete
  11. Project creep is inevitable, although sometimes it has been as much as 20 years between additions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure if I'd actually finished an army say 20 years ago, I'd still find space for a new unit here and there. Sadly I have struggled to finish more than a few, but all have had new bits bolted on over the years:).

      Delete
  12. I’m with Richard and Tony on this. What a great hobby!
    Love to hear more about your Great Game idea. I’ve had something bubbling around in the back of my head for years (Peter Hopkirk-cum-George McDonald Fraser) but have done nothing about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed a great hobby and one that I've enjoyed for nigh on 50 years, in one form or another.

      As for the Great Game ideas, they have faded from the memory somewhat but broadly speaking:
      - Brits vs Russians (of course) with Afghan cum tribal Allies as required.
      - Rules were going to be 'The Men Who Would Be Kings' for smaller scale actions, that would escalate to bigger battles using Black Powder II.
      - There might even have been some 'In Her Majesty's Name' fluff at some point, until I found the rules rather dull despite the great background fluff.

      As I say Chris it was all sometime ago, but hope this helps?

      Delete
  13. Sorry that was from me, Nundanket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris as Blogger now does post lots of Anonymous comments compared to before.

      Delete
  14. Great stuff Steve, nice to have a target in mind.... fingers crossed looking forward to seeing them in the flesh.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu and an end goal certainly helps for sure. Let's hope you get to see them and like them too!

      Delete
  15. Best of luck in getting everything ready for the 25th! Yes, a hobby is not a job - there's no real need to 'stay focused'. Thus it will inevitably lead in unplanned directions that can be pursued as one wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. So far another brigade finished with its integral artillery almost done too. Then a few squadrons of cavalry and commands and then I should be good to go.

      Delete