Sunday 31 July 2022

Less Is More?

About 3 weeks ago I finally succumbed to one of the new Omicron variants of Covid. It hit me really hard for abour 3 - 4 days and then about another 7 to feel almost 'normal'. After that a few issues with some Long Covid symptoms but fingers crossed I'm over it now. Whilst KO'd by the damned virus and with plenty of fatigue and brain fog keeping me glued to armchair or sofa, I had ample opportunity to reflect on the current state of my wargaming. 

As many of my followers know I have been pondering downsizing my leadpile for some years now and had planned to do more until the various lockdowns hit a few years back now. But the enforced rest chrystalized all my thoughts and forced me to confront the reality that, for me, I have far, far too much stuff! For those of you that have not fainted from the shock of such a heretical statement or are now busy writing letters to the Times newspaper to have me black balled from the 'club', please read on.

The Library
I wish I had one to be honest but it is what I call the collection of books, rulesets etc that fill a couple of bookcases and some piles on the floor next to them. Not very attractive by any means and a bit of a mess if I'm completely honest. Thankfully SWMBO tolerates this state of affairs for the moment, but the time has come to really sort this all out.

I love books which is one of the causes of the problem and have over the years bought many that in all honesty have never really been looked at or referenced. Add on top of this rulesets too, which like the books, have often never seen the light of day after a cursory read through of them.

I know I only really play about 5 core sets of rules and these pretty much tick all the boxes as far as I'm concerned, with a few others being dabbled with now and then. It is all too easy to see a new set and think they might be worth looking at, only for them to join their cousins on the shelves of shame. A case in point recently was General de Brigade where I thought to buy them purely for their post battle campaign rules. But upon reflection I knew that some of the books by Featherstone et al had similar stuff in them that I could use, but due to the books being spread everywhere, I never can really access them to find this sort of stuff. So time for a clearout!
 
Rulesets
Aside from the sheer number of rules that I have, one issue that I've come across that seems to be pretty universal amongst gamers is trying to remember all the rules that we play. This has become increasingly more difficult overtime and with the reduced gaming over the past few years due to Covid. Before that in all honesty I only really played the following:

Honours of War, Black Powder II, Shadow of the Eagles (new admittedly), Bloody Big Battles and BKCII.

These accounted for probably 90% of my games. More importantly they all, with the exception of BBB, had a very similar core engine mechanic meaning that the main game play was very easy to remeber when swapping from one set to another. The 'hard part' was the subtle nuances and period 'tweaks' between them, but that really wasn't too much of a challenge to be fair. What this allowed me to do was actually focus on the game, what I wanted to do and needed to achieve, rather than spending half the game with my nose in a rulebook.

Now there are plenty of excellent rulesets out there, but the aforementioned just work for me and as importantly, for my chums. You don't need lots of 'chrome' to make a good set of rules or a game. What you need, IMHO, is to be completely at ease with them so that you can focus on the game itself, coming up with scenarios, campaigns etc.

Periods To Play
I'm as guilty as any other gamer in that I can be tempted down a rabbit hole of a new period by some shiny troops in a magazine or Blog article and have, over the years, succumbed to such. But sadly most of these have just sat there on the shelf of shame after that initial buzz has faded or another article has caught me eye and taken me down another route for the same thing to be repeated again! 

So as with the rulesets, I had a good think about what periods do I really, really enjoy and will continue to play for many years to come. Broadly speaking we have:

18thC Imagi-Nations, Napoleonics, 19thC Europe circa 1848 - 1870, ACW, A Very British Civil War and WWII.

Again I reckon that these have covered at least 90% of my games over the past few years, if not more. I enjoy the challenges that each of these periods brings, as well as reading the historical background to the battles and campaigns. 

The Lead Pile
In relation to the above, the lead pile has invariably been added to as new periods have hoved into view, only to disappear all too quickly over the horizon. Even with my core eras to play, do I really need say four Seven Years War forces? Of course purists would say yes and of course they have a good point on this front. Afterall I take this approach with my WWII wargaming so can't really argue against this. But of late I have almost taken an 'Old School' Imagi-Nations approach where I simply make two opposing sides from figures I like with a good OOB that reflects the period and then simply game with them. It works for me which is of course the most important thing, especially for the solo gamer.

This approach can be seen with my Commission Figurines Red & Blue forces that could, in all honesty, be used to game all of the above periods with the exceptions of the 20thC. However I do still like to paint and play with nice figures, so will slowly build up these forces until I can get them onto the table. 

This Imagi-Nations approach will certainly help reduce the lead pile, allow me to focus on core forces rather than many for each period, which should hopefully prove cathartic and boost my painting output too! I do add in a slight caveat that this will not happen (yet) for my WWII forces, due to my love of the various marques of AFV's used throughout.

Battle & Campaigns
When I returned to wargaming some 20 or more years ago, it was very much skirmish based gaming, due to the pressures of work, storage, finances and having a young family. Over time this grew to planned all day games with multiple WWII Battalions per side. They were fun for the most part but were tiring and took an awful lot of time and energy, which I no longer have these days.

For me I now prefer battles that last maybe up to three hours with a few Bde's per side (12 - 15 units). Along side this I really like to have my battles as part of a campaign, rather than a stand alone game, where there are consequences to your actions. No Pyrrhic victories here! Skirmishs sometimes play a part at the start of a campaign or when map movement suggests that sort of thing, but they are few and far between these days.

Moving Forward
In light of the above, the main thing is to really have a damned good clearout and begin sorting stuff into piles to keep, piles to go and the inevitable maybe pile. This will allow really see what I have, which is hard to do with spread all over the house. Oh for a dedicated game room where everything was in one place!

This will be a long process due to the physical space issues involved, but a little and often should work. How I dispose of this is another matter. Probably a combination of advertising it here, forums, Facebook and ebay. Then there is the issue of pricing it all up. Some stuff maybe so hard to sell that it is simply given away.

At Present
So that's all in the future of course, but currently I've dug out my 19thC Imagi-Nations force that had planned to make it's debut at the Cotswold Wargaming Day last year, but a last minute change of plans put pay to that. So subject to Covid etc, they are due to take the field in September, so I need to paint at least another Brigade of Infantry and some Squadrons of Cavalry, plus some Command bases. Nice to have a deadline which always focusses the mind!

So until next time, stay safe and keep healthy.


32 comments:

  1. Well this post seems to be on trend as the youth are want to say. Lol. Seems there’s a lot of us looking for smaller games with a core set of rules in a limited number of periods that really interest us. It does occur to me that we’ve all probably been spoiled somewhat over the last 20 years or so by the proliferation of new rules and figures (totally alien to those of us who started gaming in the 60s or 70s) coupled with (in our later years) a little more proportionately disposable income. In a nut shell, have we all gorged ourselves on the fruits of the hobbies “golden period” and are we now looking for the gaming version of weight watchers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good God, me being on trend? Oh the horror of it;). I think many of us have reached the point that where, despite the huge variety of scales and ranges on offer, we keep coming back to a few that really interest us as you say. Being of the Airfix generation, we certainly were happy to play with whatever we had to hand, convert where nescessary and just play up and play the game. Now you can get the Imperial Guard in a uniform that they only wore on the 31st June* when on campaign in the Danube Valley, should you really want to. Of course the choice is yours but does it really add to the whole gaming experience?

      Now I'm more of a gamer than figure painter these days for a variety of reasons, so I'm less fussed about the Imperial Guard issue above. For me it's all about getting a fun game onto the table, with figures I like (historically accurate or not) and enjoying the whole experience with friends.

      I think I certainly have gorged too much in the past and am on a Weight Watchers diet from now on. Will I yo-yo going forward? Watch this space...

      *Of course the 31st June doesn't exist, but hopefully you get my gist re: the proliferation of options open to us these days.

      Delete
  2. I am also in the throes of 'down-sizing' partly because we're going to have to downsize house-wise and the current one was jam packed with books and toys. I've made pretty good progress with the lead mountain but the books are taking much longer and need to be priced really cheaply to sell. It's heartbreaking to see one's beloved books going for a song, if at all.
    On the brightside, it is worth doing and I have found it very cathartic and not regretted it at all. I must now find a show I can take a few crates of books to sell to (postage is the problem with selling books online) and then dispose of what's left at a good secondhand bookshop for pennies.
    I wish you well in your endeavour - don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding even the initial thought process rather cathartic, which bodes well I feel. I'm only really getting rid of books I know that I will never use, such as those on Colonial wargaming, but keeping all more core period books. Some that tend to replicate stuff will go too. Whether they will sell is always a moot point, especially given the current economic issues we are all facing.

      Luckily we live in a fairly average early 1960's mid-terrace, which is just the right size for me and SWMBO, so fingers crossed no house move required, unless we win the lottery of course! Most of our neighbours are retired and have lived here since they were built. Hopefully one day I will be able to turn one of the bedrooms into a dedicated games room once the children (young adults really) fly the nest...

      Delete
  3. I think Covid has caused a lot of wargamers to take a step back and think about what they want from our hobby. Like you I realised that I simply have too much stuff and I have a wargames room which has overspilled into the guest bedroom. My big weakness is books and wargames magazines. Sadly I've found that books are in the main unwanted, most wargamers of a certain age having the self same tomes. As a consequence Im prone to giving them away whenever I meet up with fellow wargamers. As for actual armies, well after a lot of soul searching Ive begun to sell my entire Napoleonic collection which contained virtually every nation that fought in the wars. Its been like the loss of a dear friend,but needs must.Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem to be a fairly common theme at present that we are all taking stock of our current situations. Getting older had and will continue to add issue to be addressed for sure. My painting arm is increasingly shaky so it may get to the point where it is hard to actually paint anything to a standard I'd be happy with. A good point on the book front and I have tried to give books away before, but with few takers I'm afraid. I believe charity shops will take them but after a few weeks they go to be shredded, which is a crying shame.

      I empathise with the Napoleonic collection disposal as I'd find it very, very hard to get rid of my WWII stuff if I had to. Luckily 10mm and smaller does take up much less room than 28mm, which helps. But even then given my project boxes dotted around the house, it is still far too much. I'm certainly looking forward to a slimmer collection for sure.

      Delete
  4. Hi....Interesting post. I really sympathise about the books...I too love books and as we have discussed in the past, storage space in always a problem. I have to admit I just cant move books on. I always try to buy only those that I think will interest me in the long term so really cant imagine getting rid of any. I suspect you will find that really hard too. As for the lead pile from what you have said I think that may well be easier. Of course now the hard part will be to find the time and inclination to actually do the sorting out. Really pleased you have overcome the Covid with no lasting effects. Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As mentioned above Tony, some books will be easy to get rid of due to being no longer required. To be honest some were bought as retail therapy alongside figures when working silly hours and under stress some years back. It seemed a good idea at the time! So neither will be missed as they have never really been used and in all likely hood never will be. Colonial wargames reference books being a case in point.

      Delete
  5. Hi Steve,

    Downsizing and re-evaluating how we want our hobby to look certainly does seem to be the recurring blog topic of 2022.

    I put a napoleonic game to the table yesterday that had matched sides, 6 infantry battalions, two cavalry regiments and 1 gun battery per side on a 4’ x 3’ just for a knock-about and trying some rules and I actually found it enough for the simple pleasure of playing and to fit with the time I had available on a Sunday afternoon.

    Looking back decades ago, my rose tinted glasses makes me think that gaming was simpler and more fun - I think the truth is that none of could afford to have a load of stuff scattered around the house, our collections were concise as were the the rulebook collections. What we had seemed much more relevant that what we didn’t!

    For your clear-out into ‘3 piles’ the ‘maybe pile’ is the most precarious and the one to watch, my own experience is that it can become unexpectedly significant enough to undermine the whole process of downsizing!

    Good luck with your plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I does appear to have become a theme of late, so nice to know I'm not the only one pondering my wargaming wants and needs. I'm a big fan of the 12 - 15 units a side for the reasons you've mentioned. We do not always have the time nor space for bigger games, yet they still provide a nice challenge IMHO.

      I agree with the rose tinted view too. Hence my title of 'less is more', as I think it with limited space and spending money, we nejoyed what we had to play with. A new box of Airfix figures or a Matchbox kit was a real treat. Certainly looking back at old Airfix magazines less figures appeared to be used for games, or maybe it's just my wishful thinking?

      The maybe pile is one that certainly worries me as it can easily out grow the others when combined! I just need to be ruthless and really focus on what I want from my games moving forward.

      Delete
    2. Norm, in respect of rose-tinted glasses, I refer you to Billy Connolly when talking about his memories of 60's Glasgow - he said something like "I really used to think I missed the smell of fresh baked bread at five o'clock in the morning, or the sound of tram bells in Sauchiehall Street..........but what I really missed, was my youth!"

      Delete
    3. Keith, maybe it is the innocence of youth that we are missing, plus of course the endless energy and our bodies not aching all the time!

      Delete
  6. Steve, you fellas are killing me with all of your talk and mutual head-nodding in agreement on the virtues of downsizing and scaling back.

    Having read many such blog posts, I have a hypothesis (or two!) on why these are cropping up now. Rather than focus on my thoughts on why this, why now, how about we approach this with a rational mindset?

    Of course, circumstances change, but consider your collections from the perspective of economic utility. Once purchased, these costs are sunk especially if the liquidation value is not great. You have likely spent considerable time and effort in researching, buying, painting, and (hopefully) even gaming with these collections. The hard work is done. Now is the time to reap the benefits of all of your hard work. That is, unless the driver of utility is in the creation process, itself.

    If the cost of storage is not an issue (which it may well be) then why not hang onto these collections? What is the opportunity cost of not having these collections at the ready when interest returns? These must have been interest and purpose in launching these projects, no? Where these collections built on a whim without thought?

    I know, some prefer the journey and some prefer the destination. I enjoy both the journey of building an army as well as reaching my destination of seeing them out on the table. For me, the latter was underutilized prior to the rise of remote gaming.

    I remain, still, in downsizing denial...


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some thought provoking stuff there Jon and so that we are causing you so much angst. I'm not sure if it's purely a UK issue or not. IIRC we have the smallest houses on average in Europe, which might account for the storage issue. I know when we visit friends in Austria their houses and flats are sooo much bigger than something comparable here in the UK. I know with my stuff stored around the house it's a case of out of sight, out of mind. If I have a dedicated games room then things might be different.

      I know wargaming has been compared to trying to lose weight, with wargaming losing pounds Sterling compared to shedding pounds weight! As mentioned, many purchases were retail therapy rather than a properly thought out one, most of which will account for those parts of the lead pile and books that will be sold. Most are unpainted and still in their bags of shame! My core interests will not really see any losses, other than stuff that is surplus to requirements. Some stuff I bought a long time ago I can sell at virtually no loss due to the recent high rises in material costs etc, assuming of course that there are interested buyers out there!

      Delete
    2. Jon has an interesting point of view with much to commend. I suspect he is actually right but the practicalities of space availability are the drivers here. I think the real answer is to move the kids on and claim that room as a dedicated games room or at least hold off any disposals until that room does become available. At least then you will be able to make an objective decision rather than one based solely on lack of space. Regards.

      Delete
    3. I am with you Jon - all this getting rid of stuff is most disheartening - my wife would love it of course but I won't be getting rid of anything unless forced to by the direst of extreme circumstances. Mind you, I have no rules worth talking about and have not bought a book in years, as I can get almost everything I need online now. I like books, i read books (novels mainly) but I get them from the library, read them, then return them - works for me!

      Delete
    4. Tony, I think it maybe be quite some time before our son and daughter move out, for a variety of reasons. Even with a dedicated games room, I think I would still downsize, so as to focus on the core periods mentioned. I feel that at present I'm spreading myself too thinly and do need to focus much more, which is my aim with this clear out.

      Delete
    5. Keith, I think if I didn't have the books (perish the thought!!!) then the space issue would be mitigated somewhat, but would still need to be addressed. When looking at some American games rooms in their basements etc, their footprint is as big out our house!

      Delete
  7. Hi Steve, first off, hope you get back to full steam soon.
    Secondly I too feel reflection is good. We should ask ourselves are we getting what we want out of all the resources we it into our hobby. Time, money, space. Part of the equation for me is what Jon said about sunk costs. But then I tend to agonise over things for ages before I buy.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. The sunk costs I've accepted as a nescessary loss for a greater gain, if that makes sense. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but if I'd had a 'normal' job with a 9-5 to go with it, then many of my retail therapy purchases sould have been averted I'm sure. The same goes for raising a child cum young person with SEND.

      Delete
  8. Nicely written post. I absolutely agree that if the size of the collection is too big and is becoming a hassle then culling out the parts that do not bring happiness is necessary. I’ve gone through 3 purges myself and afterwards find the experience liberating! You’ll enjoy your stuff all the more bc of it. My only advice is to be absolutely RUTHLESS when selecting stuff to remove. “Here’s that game I kinda like but play maybe once a year but maybe I’ll play it more often if I keep it…”. No you won’t and no you wouldn’t so get rid of it. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are ruthless. Have you no loyalty, man?

      Delete
    2. I have UNLIMITED loyalty to a very limited amount of people and things. 😀

      Delete
    3. The RUTHLESS comment is very apt as I was looking at some of my book pile and thinking that I put those to one side thinking I will use them, but over a year on and they haven't moved! I will keep this in the back of my head as I sort through stuff otherwise I'll keep going round in circles.

      Delete
  9. Steve - whilst I don’t disagree that we (hobbyists/wargamers) almost certainly have “too much stuff” I must acknowledge there are often times when I think I want - no, NEED - more. Yes, it’s illogical, you there you go…
    There have been numerous occasions where I have decided not to buy something there and then, but subsequently the manufacturer retires, closes down or whatever and suddenly the moulds disappear - the figures are no longer available. 😤☹️
    Given hindsight, perhaps I should have concentrated my efforts on buying hardcover first edition prints of JK Rowling’s early Harry Potter books.
    I would absolutely love a massive (well, let’s say significant+ £££) lottery win. That’s the only way I can see me being able to afford to finance all the shelving needed for my very large collection of books, magazines and comics. So, they continue to remain in boxes - stacked on top of boxes, filling a large part of our house extension.
    Regarding the lead pile, my main decision was to (mostly) stop buying unpainted lead and instead concentrate my £££ on buying painted figures. I have no skills or abilities with a paintbrush… ☹️ so, at least this way there’s a chance they’ll make it onto the tabletop battlefield.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the NEED feeling only too well, especially when during those stressful periods at work (think 7 hours sleep over 3 days) or when being a parent of a SEND child is just mentally and physically exhausting. The buying of something made me feel connected to the real World rather than the strange one I used to inhabit.

      Whilst I struggle to get the motivation to paint, probably due to being a modelmaker for some 33 years, I do enjoy it when the muse is upon me. In fact half the fun is basing stuff up, little command vignettes etc, but the hard part is then getting the paints out. Still I'd much rather it be this way than buying painted figures. Maybe a lottery win might change my mind though;).

      Delete
  10. After taking early retirement (a cause for reassessing things) just over a year ago, I also embarked on a clear out and reorganization of the sort of which you speak so eloquently in this post. It started with books, went on to my games room/man space, and just recently a massive clear out of my lead pile. Time consuming and laborious, but I have to say well worth it: it's like getting a fresh start at a point in life where such things are rare, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is that fresh and more focussed start that I'm looking forward to Ed. I'm a very visual person, so the pile of books on the floor does irk me somewhat and SWMBO even more I imagine!

      Delete
  11. I hope you feel 100% soon.

    I agree not having a wargame room makes it very difficult, start loudly asking the kids when they are moving out and maybe you will get one eventually. :) It worked for me :) - although it took a long while.

    Best of luck with the clean out. I think having things organised is most important, because if you can't find it you may as well not have it and concentrating on a few periods / rules will help with this as well as helping to focus on the parts of the hobby you enjoy. Just my 2 cents from the internet peanut gallery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben. As for the kids moving out, as mentioned above that might take longer than we might wish for. I am looking forward to things being more organised which will help my gaming on many levels I'm sure.

      Delete
  12. Really interesting thoughts that you have collected there Steve. I don't really have much to downsize as I tend towards an extremely cautious and multistep approach before period acquisition. Having said that, I can say that what I have sold I on I have come to regret years down the line. The information in books etc. can be easily reacquired in this digital age. However, the cash, time and effort in building the collections is irreplaceable.
    Thank you for sharing your reflections and hope that you are fully recovered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. I must admit that I have only regretted selling some old 1970's miniatures, due to them being some of the very first ones I ever bought. Other than that everything else I've been happy to see it go to a new home. Touch wood all recovered now, unless I do a Joe Biden...

      Delete