Tuesday 12 January 2021

Warlord Games Pike & Shotte Rules - First Impressions

As mentioned in my last post, I wanted to trial a variety of rulesets for the 'pike & shotte' era, to hopefully find one that really piqued my interest. Given last years major foray with Black Powder II, Warlord Games Pike & Shotte rules seemed the best place to start, given that they share most of the same mechanisms, with a few minor tweaks here and there.

As the League of Augsburg and The Glorious Revolution periods are currently of interest, I decided to use the stats and suggestions as laid out in the book by Barry Hilton. I kept everything pretty simple as you will see, so I could focus on the core rules and the game itself. In future games I will add in more detail, but more of that later.

 
A broad overview of the game, with 14 units per side, spread across a 3 1/2' x 2 1/2' table, with a bit of room on the flanks, but not much.

My wooden blocks once again pressed into service to allow me quickly and effectivelt to try rules out. The top row are infantry with a pike column attached and an artillery unit to the right. The unit at the bottom is standard infantry without a pike column.

A Turn or two in, with the action spread right across the table.

The Red force has broken a Blue infantry unit (top left) whilst the cavalry are involved in a clash on the right flank.

The Blue cavalry have gained the upper hand in the cavalry clash, with the Red Brigade becoming broken and fleeing the table, leaving the Red right flank wide open.

The fighting is becoming very fragmented across the board, with each sides flanks taking punishment.

Disaster for the Blue force's right flank, as the Cavalry Brigade breaks and an infantry unit is also broken.

The Red right flank is forced to offer a refused flank to cover the threat posed by the Blue Cavalry Brigade, who are free to roam now that the Red Cavalry Brigade has gone.

The End Game is upon us as both sides right flanks are refused and begin to pivot to counter the threat from the Cavalry Brigades.

The Red Left Flank is pressurising Blue's right Flank, which is having to bend back to deal with it, but the Red Infantry are unrelenting in their attacks.

The Blue Cavalry Brigade has prevented the Red Infantry from bringing their numbers to bear upon the Blue Left Flank.
 
Post Game Thoughts
A fun and quick game that played well and went along at a fair old lick and gave me a good feel for the game. I certainly enjoyed it which was good and it did feel different to BPII which is obviously good given it is representing quite a different period in terms firearms, tactics etc. I made some notes as I went along on my thoughts, which can be found below:
  • Having the same core mechanics certainly helped a lot as the game felt very familiar and I could concentrate on my tactics, only rarely stopping to check some things in the rulebook that I knew from a read through were different to BPII. This was a big bonus in my book and looking forward, keeping things simple in terms of rules played is my aim for this year and for the future. The period specific rules courtesy of Barry Hilton worked well and were a big help in sorting out unit stats etc and have only whetted my appetite to find out more about the LoA period.
  • Cavalry combat can be brutal, more so than my BPII games, where cavalry hasn't featured that much. Certainly in this game my poor die rolling for Break Tests led to both side losing a whole Cavalry Brigade in one Turn! So I've learnt I need to time my attacks with care, so as not to leave a flank wide open early on.
  • Movement was slower and the shooting ranges shorter which felt right, given the period being gamed. Having both sides up close and personal was fun, but I was unable to close for H-t-H combat, which by the look of it could be brutal.
  • I need to make some counters or markers to keep track of things such as 'First Fire' or Plug Bayonets' as these are important in the game. I could use a unit roster but i dislike these and prefer to keep my eyes on the table as much as possible.
  • My unit frontage was 80mm, which is about right for when playing on my smaller table. I've yet to decide whether to go with three 1" bases, or 3 30mm ones. I ned to dig my figures out of the attack and stick them on some card to see what works for me. Units with a Pike Company will simply have a base tacked onto the rear as seen in the rulebook, which is a nice and simple solution and also has the benefit of being able to be removed if i want to field them as all 'shotte'.
  • Infantry units with a Pike Company are vital on a flank to help protect said flank should the enemy cavalry break through, as their rules make cavalry charges against them somewhat suicidal.
  • I need to try out some simple small H-t-H combat to get a feel for this as I think it is/will be more important than shooting to win a game. Hopefully in my next game I will be able to really try this out.
  • Disordered and Shaken units being able to make a 'free' retreat move is a nice touch, assuming I have read the rules correctly of course! But then this is what this sort of game is for.
  • The QRS sheet is extremely useful and the best I've seen from Warlord Games. It certainly meant I didn't need to refer to the rulebook much, which is great.
  • If I wanted to game the ECW, then the 'To Kill a King' supplement would be useful but essential, given there is plenty of info in the main rulebook. However the supplement does have more detail and rules for playing sieges, the latter being useful for gaming the LoA.
  • As with most rules I've played aside from WWII, placing artillery in the right place at the start of the game is crucial. You are able to move medium artillery a small distance, but from my limited knowledge once deployed they pretty much stayed in place. Again another thing I need to read up on.

Well for a first game I would give the rules 10/10. Previously I was put off giving these a run out as I hadn't really played any Warlord Games rules, despite having these and Black Powder. However as mentioned above, having played lots of BPII last year meant that these rules seemed very accessible and certainly gave me a good game, with a minimal learning curve, which was good. 

For my next game I'm going to introduce terrain, but nothing too fancy, as well as some more detail in terms of units such as Guards, Militia etc, again just to see how they play. Some simple counters as per my BBB games will be made to allow me to keep track of things with my wooden blocks. when using figures with flags etc, this should reduce markedly which will aid the visual look of the game no end! So until next time...

16 comments:

  1. Interesting idea to play through and learn the rules with blocks 🤔 I still plan on the ECW in the future so interested to see how the rules go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blocks were made purely to try out ECW gaming when I bought the rules a few years ago, but have since been used for a variety of periods. Very useful but figures much more appealing, even though I do like the simplicity of the blocks in a game.

      Delete
  2. Wow! A score of 10 out of 10? That is a very high mark. Glad you enjoyed the rules so much. I am always pleased to see your red and blue block armies at work. There is something I find very pleasing and elegant about your block armies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A high mark indeed Jonathan, but for a first game nothing jarred, the game flowed smoothly and I could find what I wanted in the rulebook with relative ease. Naturally a lot of this was down to having played BPII and the shared mechanics mades switching to this ruleset very easy. If it had been my first game probably a 7/10.

      I too like that elegant simplicity of the blocks and as has been mentioned before, when playing a game it does make it easier to concentrate on the action.

      Delete
  3. 10/10 .... superb. I did wonder whether the ‘closeness’ to BP would cause some confusion, but obviously not, that is good to hear. I don’t have the rules (yet) but do have the ‘To Kill a King’ supplement which is interesting and colourful and has a good spread of scenarios, from the well known to the smaller and not so well known clashes.

    Looking forward to following your explorations of a new period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Others may say the rules are too similar for the period portrayed, but they seemed OK to me and certainly gave a good game that felt 'right', hence the high score. Being able to play quite a wide time period with one core games mechanic is a big bonus as I get older, as I longer feel the need to learn a completely new set of rules!

      I'm looking forward to the new period with the units to be painted, the games to be played and of course the history to be learnt:)

      Delete
  4. Hello there Steve J,

    That looked really impressive and I had wondered about the best way to represent pike blocks! Be warned, I shall be sending you are long email about this!

    Always good to see blocks in action!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David! Luckily in my former guise of a modelmaker I had access to all that I needed to make these. They took quite a few lunchbreaks to do but have more than 'paid' for themselves due to the amount of use they've had. Looking forward to your mail and any help I can offer:)

      Delete
  5. Good review Steve, it does appear that large scale games are on the rise this year, it must be all that extra painting time. The blocks are a great way of giving the rules a run through.
    Nice post sir.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu! The blocks were made when I used to play on a 6' x 4' table, but nowadays I find smaller games areas work just as well, with reduced unit footprints. Easy to set up and less intrusive on family space. Oh for a dedicated games room;)

      Delete
  6. That’s a good idea to try out different rules using block armies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and they have been very useful since I made them, mainly being used from the 17thC - 19thC periods. If I made them again I would go for a smaller basic block size, for a bit more flexibility, but they work fine as they are and I really should tackle the lead mountain instead!

      Delete
  7. Nice review Steve and the blocks are a clever way to test out the rules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith and they do make rules testing very easy indeed, which was the aim when I made them:)

      Delete
  8. Interesting! I have a copy, but have never even cracked the cover, as I found BP rather off putting. Were you using anything above and beyond the base Pike and Shot rules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delayed reply, but Blogger hasn't been sending your comments through for approval! I used the rules 'as is' with the units stats as written in the book by Barry Hilton. I enjoy the BP stable of rules as they give me a good game in a reasonable time.

      Delete