This year I had no plans to buy any new rules, given that I was pretty happy with everything that I had and used regularly. Afterall my bookshelf has plenty of rules that were bought, glanced at and never really did what I hoped they would. Maybe one day I'll get around to selling them or sending them to a charity shop.
But my resolve was sorely tested when I read Norm Smith's excellent review of the 'Test of Resolve' rules on his Blog. For once these rules intrigued me and, after a bit of deliberation, I decided to treat myself to a bit of retail therapy, as life had been rather hectic on the parent carer front.
| The 'new' print of the rules, with a contents page and definitions section which really helps when looking for or reading through the rules. |
Not the cheapest rules, but being self-published and with an admittedly limited audience compared to the 'Big Boys' of the industry, I was very happy with what I received. After a couple of read throughs, these really seemed to be perfect for the solo players and as one would expect, they are very much full of period flavour.
Now whilst I do not have any figures based up for this period, I have some that cold at a squeeze, pass muster, but given these will be mainly used for solo play, it's only me I need to keep happy! If I was to do two 'Starter Forces', I worked out that I would need at least several hundred figures, possibly up to five hundred, which was a daunting prospect painting wise, aside from the financial implications.
So instead, for the moment, I went down the route of using my wooden blocks to allow me to get to grips with the rules, the size of games like to play etc. Luckily these blocks are a perfect fit for what I would most likely use base wise, namely 25mm square ones, with unit frontages of 50mm or 100mm if in 'wide' formation.
| Said blocks all set up to run through the basic scenario, on a 2' x 2' board. This is a tad small, but currently works well as I can put it down anywhere with minimal fuss and roll the dice. |
From my trial games so far, which have been VERY basic, I'm really taken with these rules, as not only do I feel like I'm playing a WotR game, but the inherent friction within the system makes for really good solo play. As Norm mentioned on his Blog, the run of the cards and the actions that arise from them, prevent one from going about the game in the same old fashion, something that I've been very conscious of when I tried pre-Black Powder period games.
To help me with some inspiration and a bit of background reading, I pulled the following fodwn from the bookshelf.
| I remember when these came out, as at our local show, these were incradibly popular and certainly breathed new life into a period that wasn't gamed that much, or so it seemed to me. |
| Another cracking book and one that again highlights how little we really know. |
As we are in the 3rd heatwave of the year and once again breaking records on multiple fronts, I hope to give these rules a good run out in the next few days, as frankly it's too hot to do anything else after about 10.00am!
WWII
I had planned on doing some more painting on my AVBCW forces, alongside sorting out a possible Greek campaign again, but a mix of the heat, 'real life' and these new rules has put all of this on hold. I did look through the very good Osprey book on the first part of the Greek campaign, just to refresh my understanding of things, so progress in that respect.
I also bought Max Hasting's book on Sword Beach, which Norm Smith had highlighted as being very heavily discounted at a supermarket, so I was happy to find that Amazon had price matched it as it were. I do like his writing style so this is most likely my next read, aside from perusing some WotR texts.
Woodworking
In between the heatwaves, I was able to pop into the garage and have some more fun doing some woodturning, which I find is a nice and therapeutic break from my life as a parent carer. Wargaming hits the same spot too, but I was in the mood to do some turning, which can be seen below:
| Some small Yew bowls and bud vase, all about 4" diameter. A joy to turn and they come up to a smooth finish and should develop a lovely patina as they age. |
What Next?
Well with the heat not breaking for at least another 5-6 days, trying to stay cool and get a good sleep will be the number one priority! I do have Waterloo game scheduled for 4th August at Shrivenham, which should be good. Being an all day affair this should be a real treat and a good chance to meet up with some old gaming friends and some new ones to boot.
As Blogger has been up to its very annoying tricks of late, whether anyone gets to see this is a mute point. However, if you have received this, then I'm happy and as always, any comments greatly received!
TTFN.
Hi Steve, it is 23.42 (GMT) on Friday and still no show of your post, I came here via your previous post.
ReplyDeleteI am delighted that the Test of Resolve rules are meeting your approval. They are not cheap, so I would have been bothered if you had been disappointed after buying. I must admit, I remain quite taken with them,
The Ingram book on Bosworth is very interesting, though I also looked the revised Osprey Campaign book and they each have the army fighting on a different axis. on the newly located battlefield .... I was hoping that after the 'new' battlefield site was discovered, that it would be straight forward to create a historically correct scenario. ;-) but there remains plenty of intrigue .... as ever!
The whole Blogger thing is very annoying to say the least. This post is still not showing up in feeds or reading lists it seems. The whole 'why bother?' attitude is to the fore again, as my hand reaches out for a towel...
DeleteI've bought too many books that have not been cheap, only to be greatly disappointed in them, so certainly it was nice to read these and immediately feel they offered much to enjoy in the game. A few further playtests yesterday re-inforced this perception:).
With Bosworth, unless Time Travel is possible, I very much doubt we will ever reach a definitive concensus on how the armies were aligned and fought. What is right for one gamer would most certainly be complete heresy for another;)!
From Jim Walkley: "Blogger won't let me comment Steve - had this problem on other blogs. What I wanted to say was, don't give up the blogging - says he who only has the pleasure of reading rather than the effort of writing. Looking forward to seeing how you, and Norm, get on with the rules."
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear that Jim, but at least the contact form worked:)! The towel has been put away for the present, but the frustration remains:(. At least I know I'm not the only one affected by a long shot.
DeleteSteve, Norm should be asking for commissions! I posted a link to Norm's ToR review and playthrough on the Society of Ancients forum and it was well received. I wonder how many additional copies were sold as a direct result? I know David K. was very pleased to see Norm's post. I look forward to seeing how you get on with the rules. As you note, we do not know so much about how armies actually fought. Blood Red Roses may be another set of WotR rules that may interest you. They are inexpensive and available from The Society of Ancients. I enjoy seeing your woodturning efforts. Nice!
ReplyDeleteBy the way, this post has appeared on my blogroll.
DeleteI'm sure a good review leads to an increase in sales, especially as these rules have been around for a few years now. Luckily for me Norm's chance encounter at a show lead us to where we are now:)!
DeleteI'm certainly having fun on the wood turning front, although today it felt like the punishment cell in 'Bridge Over The River Kwai' when in the garage, so limited time spent there!
Thanks for the 'heads up' Jon and better late then never I suppose!
DeleteBeautiful woodwork, Steve.
ReplyDeleteI liked ToR when Lee put on a couple of games a while back. Sounds like they have hit the mark with you. Looking forward to seeing where you go with this.
Thanks Richard:)! I remember Lee's games too, so might have to check them out again. Heat and having fun wood turning are putting pay to more playtesting at present.
DeleteHi Steve - I don't know if this post is "visible" yet or not, I followed the link from your comment on Jons blog! I like your wood turning, very cool indeed. Wooden blocks don't really do it for me I am afraid, referring back to PWJ and his survey analysis of what we like about gaming, different rule sets would be well down my list, with figures and painting at the top - so you can understand why the block armies don't get me very excited - but it's a practical way to try out new rules - if you want to, of course!
ReplyDeleteJon informs me that it is now visible, but most likely to be missed unless other Bloggers scroll down, given that it has taken over a day to appear. Mind you one of Mark Strachan's posts took nearly 3 days to appear in my Reading List:(!
DeleteI like the Kriegspiel look of the blocks, plus the alloow for really quick run throughs of rules as and when required. I have played some proper wargames with them years ago and it's funny how much easier it is to focus on the action.
I think for me these days, the allure of figure painting is less than it used to be, given I spent 30+ years designing and making stuff, so at time it feels a bit like a 'busman's holiday'!
ToR works great for solo play, as well as finishing in about 2 hours or less pretty consistently. The Scenario books are what really make it "sing". Tim and especially David put a lot of work into them!
DeleteI'm loving the fact that the solo play aspect really works well, ditto the pretty quick game time. Maybe the scenario books will be presents later in the year...
DeleteMore of your fantastic wood turning. Brilliant!
ReplyDeleteJames
Thanks James:)!
DeleteThe rule set does look an interesting one, and I enjoyed Norm's review of them also, not a period I do but quite tempting I must say. Your bowls that you did look great, very nicely done, a friend of mine does wood turning and says it is indeed very therapeutical.
ReplyDeleteNot really a period I'd ever considered, but I must say I'm rather taken with it so far. Whether it actually leads to apinted armies remains to be seen! Yep, a very therapeutic craft for sure.
DeleteHi Steve,
ReplyDeleteGreat update! It's always nice when a rulebook surprise turns out to be a winner for solo play. Have a brilliant time at the big Waterloo game in August!
Cheers, Andy
Thanks Andy and sadly not all rules are suitable for solo play, but things have gotten better over the years. Fingers crossed for the Waterloo game.
DeleteHi Steve,
DeleteAbsolutely, the hobby has definitely come a long way from the days of just trying to "play against yourself" without any built-in friction. Finding a set that flows naturally for a solo player makes all the difference. Enjoy the build-up to August!
All the best, Andy
A nice load of books and rules Steve.
ReplyDeleteTBH the Wars of the Roses isn’t something that’s of interest to me, but it’s always good to check rulebooks to see if there are any rules or concepts that can be “borrowed” for my own games 😉
Your woodwork looks great. I’m not at all “handy”, but do appreciate a nicely turned out piece.
Cheers,
Geoff
Thanks Geoff and a good point about being able to possibly borrow ideas from one ruleset to use with another. I've always enjoyed drawing and making things, so nice to be able to get back to this after finishing work some 6 years ago.
DeleteIs the plan to get some miniatures or paper soldiers as you have the rules and books on the period?
ReplyDeleteThat's the plan Peter and I did buy some figures to augment ones I already had for use with the 'Billhooks' rules. Like many of my projects, it then stalled, so once the heat here has abated and, with some more test games under me belt, I can make a more informed decision as to how many figures I need.
DeleteIf you're doing 25's, you could get away with about 9 foot for non archer foot units, 4 - 6 for Archers, and 4-6 for the relatively few Mounted units; maybe twice that for smaller scales, but the rules are basing and figure independent. You'll need a few guns as well.
DeleteThere's quite a lot about ToR on my blog at:
https://blundersonthedanube.blogspot.com/search/label/Test%20of%20Resolve
Thanks for the info and the links to your Blog too:)! I'm a dyed in the wool 10mm gamer, so about 3 figures per 25mm square base, with both foot and archers coming in at around 12 per unit. Hopefully a bit cooler tomorrow so I can get my figures out of their drawer and onto the table for a bit of a visual play.
DeleteSounds like Norms been succesful, pushing, I mean reviewing the ruleset, it dies sound good but I cant spend anything on the hobby for a while, nice bowls too!
ReplyDeleteBest Iain
Norm has done a good job for sure, as I'm really enjoying these rules, to the point I've ordered the scenario books too. I've played the basic intro scenario 3 times now, and they've all been very different, with their own storyline developing as the action unfolds. Glad you liked the bowls and more planned, once some new tools arrive that will make my life easier:)!
DeleteI find rules confuse me nowadays, even those we play regularly. Is it an age issue or am I just not bothered? Pleased you liked them though after splashing the cash...
ReplyDeleteEven sticking to my core rulesets, sometimes I just go with what makes sense, rather than spend valuable time searching for the right bit of info. Luckily so far these rules have been really easy to pick up, but like all of them, repeated play will bring out the finer points in due course.
DeleteYour post still hasn't made it onto my Blog list, perhaps it will on day 7. As Richard said in a previous comment. Lee put on a coulpe of games a year or so ago and we had some great games, not sure why we haven't played again since??? WotR is a great period to paint and read up on, although I found in extremely confusing, every Duke seemed to call their eldest son the same name as them, so I could never figure out which Duke they were talking about...lol!
ReplyDeleteThis Blogger issue is beyond the ken of man now I fear Ray! The WotR is certainly growing on me but, as you say, keeping track of family memebers who have the same name IS really confusing!
DeleteI really much like your way to wargaming: research etc..
ReplyDeleteThanks Andre:)! The research part is part and parcel of enjoying the whole gaming experience for me, and I'm sure many others too.
Delete